Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

What does this mean?

by Big Steve / November 25, 2009 6:14 AM PST

I upgraded my browser from IE7 to IE8 and now this is appearing on the screen, see below. Will I need to contact Linksys to staighten this out? That 10.10.10.1 looks strange.

The server 10.10.10.1 at WRT54G requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What does this mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What does this mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: What does this mean?
Collapse -
Re: Normal
by Big Steve / November 25, 2009 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Normal.

If it's normal why am I getting that message? How can I make that 4 x 5 inch box where you sign in and covers most of my screen disappear? Right click on it, hit move and drag it to the bottom of my monitor's screen? That might work huh.

Collapse -
Why vs. normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Normal

As you know, the why is going to take a lot longer. If I were to look at this I would look at the browser addons and since NONE are required I turn then off for a test run.

I'm going to have to not explore any deep "why?" discussion and just look to finding how to turn it off. ALL REPLIES from me will not duplicate prior discussions if I can. You can ask why to that if you must but it's a simple reason. All the forums are volunteer so members get to help themselves rather than get tech support. I will help find relevant searches to speed this along.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why vs. normal.
by Big Steve / November 26, 2009 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Why vs. normal.

Bob:

Why aren't you somewhere celebrating Thanksgiving Day like everyone else instead of here on the boards? The only reason I decided to drop in here was because of an email I received from CNET informing me of a reply to this thread. There's some good football games on today so go get situated in your man cave in front of your HD wide screen TV and watch you some good football after you've had some warm candied yams with some fried or baked turkey with cornbread dressing and have a slice of pumpkin pie to top it all off. My treat to you Bob. Enjoy the day. The weather is beautiful here in Biloxi, MS today.

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Why vs. normal.

The pumpkin pie is in the oven.

Back to your issue. I bet it's a browser addon. At least the discussion on this message has been done to death. The "Why?" part and in depth should be put to the makers that caused this. For now let's just fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Ahh
by Big Steve / November 26, 2009 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh.

Well it must be related to my recent upgrade on my web browser from IE7 to IE8. Going to serve up that pumpkin pie with some Cool Whip? Gotta have Cool Whip on top of that pumpkin pie, not Breyer's vanilla ice cream.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!