Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

What does this error mean?

by nicnic2001 / January 11, 2015 3:40 PM PST

I am trying to install a modem on my Windows 98 SE laptop and it installs fine but I can't use it so I press the Windows Key + Pause Break and it then I press the Device Manager tab, I see the modem not under 'Modem' so I look under USB and it's there with a yellow exclamation mark on the USB logo. I click properties for the device and it says an error about NTKERN.VXD (Code 2), I have installed and uninstalled this many times and it still comes up with that error.
Please Help

- Nick
P.S. This has worked before on this laptop but now it isn't!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What does this error mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What does this error mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: driver
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 11, 2015 4:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Sorry, bad link.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 11, 2015 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re: driver
Collapse -
Answer
NTKERN.VXD (Code 2),
by James Denison / January 11, 2015 10:12 PM PST

That's just a standard error msg meaning there's a device error. Not that helpful since you already know the device. It's not under Modem because it's not recognized as a modem, in fact Win98 doesn't know really WHAT it is. What sort of "install on laptop" is this? Inserted into a USB slot, PCMCIA slot, or do you mean it's already inbuilt and you are just trying to get it recognized? If internal, then install the motherboard driver files that came with the laptop.

Seriously though, if this is a win98 era laptop, try installing Lubuntu or Puppy Linux on it instead, especially if you expect to use it on internet. There are many videos on Youtube about those two operating systems and you can use their LIVE CD (available free as ISO file on internet for burning it's image to CD) to see if it will run OK on your laptop. If it will, then you can use current Firefox and Chrome browsers on internet, otherwise with win98 you are stuck using old outdated browsers that may not work correctly on many current websites.

You will want the 32 bit, x86, or i386 type of downloads. Lubuntu needs 400 MB of RAM at the least, but there is a minimal install which runs on 128MB of RAM or larger. Also an alternate installation method that is text based rather than the more resource hungry graphical installation method which requires more RAM than is needed AFTER the system is installed.

PUPPY LINUX

http://puppylinux.com/
http://puppylinux.com/index2.html

http://puppylinux.com/cd-puppy.htm

VIDEOS

Puppy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glfgb3vWP3g

Lubuntu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW6j_ku3tQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98ykWTpoWU

Collapse -
what's odd about this
by James Denison / January 11, 2015 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: NTKERN.VXD (Code 2),

is windows 98 isn't an NT system, so shouldn't be getting NT error msgs unless there is an NT system on it, or win98 was installed on top of and overwriting an NT system. Did you somehow manage to get an XP driver installation for the modem to run in part or the whole?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294292/en-us

Collapse -
Not so odd.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 11, 2015 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: what's odd about this

OzarkMan$ says that it is in win98_54.cab. Remember? Some sixty cab-files on the Windows 98 cd.

Probably each smaller than 1.44 MB, for those that needed to install Windows 98 from 60 diskettes. Last week I saw an ad for a 256 GB USB-stick. That's some 140,000 times as large.

Kees

Collapse -
Modem
by nicnic2001 / January 12, 2015 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: NTKERN.VXD (Code 2),

This is a USB Modem which has worked before on this laptop but I came to turn it on after about 2 months after it working and it doesn't work

Also the device works on windows 8.1

Collapse -
You are aware you are moving so far back in time
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Modem

That few remember exactly how to get this working. I did add my generic recollection of those setups but you must be adept on editing the usual config.sys, system.ini and more. This is from a time long ago and today's folk may burst into flames about support or how must it took to care and feed this old thing.
Bob

Collapse -
So what should I do?
by nicnic2001 / January 12, 2015 2:52 AM PST

So what should I do about this error, also this happens in my Virtual Machine

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: So what should I do?

For me I donated all my old DOS and pre-XP machines. They are all gone and now just a memory. There is Linux for some old good box that serves up some office files.

I find that folk new to DOS/95/98/Me/XP and heck Windows in general get a little uppity about how much there was/is to learn. Not every issue can be fixed in this small text box but there's so much on the web but is it worth doing today? For me, this old OS was fun back then but then again, I'm an electronics designer, software author and more.

Best advice? Forget modems like this. The WinModem was a walking disaster.
Bob

Collapse -
have you considered
by James Denison / January 12, 2015 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Modem

the modem has gone bad and you are wasting your time on it? For win95 other than the "C" version you'd not be able to use USB modem and USB wasn't that steady even in windows 98. Is this install of win98 in a virtual system? Or is it the host system on the computer? Also consider your BIOS may have reset (typically from failing CMOS battery) and the USB feature on older motherboards defaulted to being OFF, not ON.

Collapse -
Well...
by nicnic2001 / January 13, 2015 3:13 PM PST
In reply to: have you considered

Checking the BIOS maybe a good idea as when I switched it on after 2 months, it asked me to check the BIOS but I never changed anything. This modem still works as I have installed it and uninstalled it successfully and it works on my Windows 8,7 and XP machines

Collapse -
Answer
Remembering the past.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2015 11:54 PM PST

You didn't tell much but as this is ancient lore I'll keep it short but to refresh your memory you install the OS, the motherboard chipset drivers and then and only then drivers for cards and such.

Also, if there are any REAL MODE drivers we had to choose between those and the Windows drivers.

All this is such old turf that I can no longer duplicate but will share what I recall.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by nicnic2001 / January 12, 2015 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Remembering the past.

I`m gonna try this in a Virtual machine then I may replicate it on my laptop

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!