Question

What does the Apps button do on a LaserJet m454dw?

I just bought an m454dw and when I click Apps from the home screen it drills down to Update Print Apps and when that is clicked a loading icon appears with "Updating print apps ..." 3 to 5 minutes later it reverts back to the home screen. If you push Apps again it creates a continuous cycle and no Apps are ever loaded.

This is my second printer in 4 days, the first did the same thing and HP support said it was the motherboard. To me it seems more like a firmware issue. If you have a working machine could you tell me what I am suppose to see or do with Apps and the version of your firmware?

HP's customer service is terrible, they should be ashamed of themselves. The first response from a level 2 support person was "why do you need that feature?" and I am like well why would I want a car with tires when I could just drive around on the rims.

Post was last edited on November 5, 2019 10:34 PM PST

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: What does the Apps button do on a LaserJet m454dw?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What does the Apps button do on a LaserJet m454dw?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My last HP was my last HP.

Sorry to read this company's issues are now in their printer division.

The manual is not telling much either.

"Touch this button to open the Apps menu to print directly from select Web applications."
and
"Enable Web Services"

Also it appears that this is a PLACE HOLDER and may do little today as we read "HP offers periodic printer updates, new Web Services apps".

-> BUT THIS BUTTON DOES NOTHING UNTIL YOU DO MORE.
"Use HP Web Services applications
HP Web Services applications provide useful content that can be automatically downloaded from the Internet to
the printer. Choose from a variety of applications including news, calendars, forms, and cloud-based document
storage.
To activate these applications and schedule the downloads, go to the HP Connected Web site at
www.hpconnected.com
"
From http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04628719

- Collapse -
Most likely my last

It's sad whats become of HP. My aunt was an engineer for them for years and I've been a customer since the 90s.

Thank for your help I tried all of that before I contacted support. And from the embedded print server there isn't any place to add or remove Web Services apps which leads me to believe its a firmware issue.

The level 2 support team sent me a video of how its suppose to work and it looks like there are app icons for HP forms, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Get more, etc.

And hpconnected.com redirects to hpsmart.com which seems to control HP ePrint only.

The warranty remaining on this one is 7 months so its been sitting at Staples for a while. Seems odd they don't have a fix. Also others that purchased on Amazon state that its not suppose to have apps because its not a multi-function unit.

It all its sad because I have a HP LaserJet 1200 I bought in 2002 that still works great.

Is Xerox any better?

- Collapse -
Working M454DW Apps button
- Collapse -
Since this is web based.

The APPS button and more can work or break as you change ISPs, use a different DNS, have security turned on in your router, be wired, be WiFi connected and more.

In the consumer and office class machines I find support to be NON-existent but since what this does changes at HP's whim plus location, ISP, router and more there is little hope it will work for long as security is tightened across the web.

Just like SMART TVs that suffer dementia as time passes, all the makers of smart or web based products have a CRUCIAL FLAW they don't talk about.
Ready?

App maintenance. I may have the wrong words here but just like Smart TVs your printer and interaction with BOX, dropbox and such requires HP's software engineering team to keep up with the changes yet there is NO MONEY for this.

The term is RECURRING REVENUE. A printer today is very much one and done. If you find a feature DOA your best move is a full refund and move to something that works that does NOT rely on the maker to keep up their web site or apps.

CNET Forums

Forum Info