Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What does 'Jihad' really mean

"Jihad" is a loaded term?and a concept that illustrates a deep gulf
of miscommunication between Islam and the West. There are those
in each community who see jihad as a clash of civilizations?and act
on those beliefs. But jihad literally means "exerted effort" to most Islamic
scholars and Muslims, and represents a range of activities.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1023_031023_jihad.html#main

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What does 'Jihad' really mean
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What does 'Jihad' really mean
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:just one small comment

In reply to: What does 'Jihad' really mean

when mohammed wants his kids to get out and clear stones from the field, i don't think he says "ok kids, one more small jihad and we're finished"

Wink

Collapse -
This may be so far off base

In reply to: What does 'Jihad' really mean

But I wonder how much the perception of the word Jihad as a "holy war" or fanatical attack in the US may actually have been influenced by the novel Dune by Frank Herbert.

(Or the rather poor adaption of the first movie based on it?)

Just a thought that occurred to me The Fremen were supposely some descendant branch of a combined Buddist/Islam (Zensunni is refered to in the book) relgion that had been persecuted and hounded from place to place. A desert nomad people, hard from hard living, violent, no tolerance for weakness. Actually I thought they may have been influenced by the old Lawerence of Arabia versions and stereotypes.

Even tho a scifi book/movie, could it have exerted some wide influence on the general US, even western, perceptions?

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.