Question

What do you use your tablet for?

I don't have one and am not sure if I need it. Please tell me what you do with your tablets mostly? Internet browsing? Or anything else?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What do you use your tablet for?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What do you use your tablet for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
You might laugh.

I use them to develop apps. That is, our old PDA apps need to move to Android so beyond that I don't use the actual tablets for much else than to test our apps.

That is, I find tablets to be too restrictive to be useful.
Bob

- Collapse -
Really?

Tablets are too restrictive to be useful? I guess that means the apps you're developing are useless? Happy

- Collapse -
Yes the apps are useless for most folk.

If you don't have an use for the apps, then it is indeed useless. For me, it's a matter of simple capitalism. There's a demand so we fill the demand.

Does not mean we created the demand.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
here are just a few uses

Certainly, a tablet is unlikely to replace your desktop or laptop, but I bought a 7" android tablet, a really cheap one that still got some decent reviews. It's big enough that I don't need my reading glasses but still small enough to fit in my pocket. I brought it on vacation to check email and do some light web browsing (looking up nearby restaurants, activities, check weather, newspaper, forums, etc.). Very convenient, worked great. Didn't miss my laptop at all (but wouldn't write a ten-page report that way) Sometimes I take my kids to the McDonalds with the playground (and Wi-Fi). I'll do some "catching up" on the tablet while they play. Also, my kids will play Angry Birds, Temple Run, and Cut the Rope on it. Can't beat free games. Restrictive? Obviously. Useless? Obviously not.

- Collapse -
Answer
Tablet Uses

I use mine for:
-internet browsing
-reading books, magazines & news (especially when waiting somewhere like a doctors office, dmv, etc )
-social networks
-shopping
-as a GPS in my car since it has a nice big screen and they make car mounts for tablets
-playing games
-I've been using apps to find colors that I want to paint my rooms and/or to re-arrange my furniture
-as a TV Remote (you have to buy an app and device to plug into the tablet, mine's an iPad and I can create a custom remote with the app on my iPad and use it to control my TV)
-I have apps for medical emergencies for people and pets where you can get walk through on CPR and other things (my tablet, if not on yet, will boot up MUCH quicker than my laptop or desktop)
-Sometimes I'll use it to view Youtube and other videos, pics, etc...to beam to my TV
-Recipes - finding and storing recipes
-I several cloud drive apps such as Box, Dropbox, and Google Drive to save PDF's of tons of pc tips and tricks and how to fix things when something goes wrong with my pc. If my pc isn't working or booting, etc, I can try to find a solution either on the web or by going through the files I loaded to my cloud drive. I can access these files anywhere as long as I have wifi or I also have a hotspot on my phone, so I can connect my tablet to the internet through my phone if need be.

...any many more uses

CNET Forums