Any opinions?

Display:

Screen Size: 37" TFT LCD
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Brightness: 600cd/m

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you think of Sceptre 37" from Costco
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you think of Sceptre 37" from Costco
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you think of Sceptre 37" from Costco
by jcrobso / August 12, 2005 12:57 AM PDT

It doesn't have digital audio out. Has only one of each input type. Will do 1080i native. I looked this up at the Costco web site. Good price after rebate.
I'm planing to go to Costco this weekend I'll see if they have this in the store. John

Collapse -
This is not available in the store.
by meadowsdw / August 25, 2005 11:26 AM PDT

This is only via the website. I've ordered one and was very surprised to get my UPS shipping confirmation today when the site says it will be 15 - 20 business days for delivery.

It is missing some specs. with the most notable being a cable card slot, but then again look at the price.

If I don't like this one I'm checking out the Panasonic 37 LCD they have in the store.It's $2500 and has a cable card slot and more. Great picture too.

Collapse -
This is not available in the store.
by jcrobso / August 26, 2005 3:00 AM PDT

At least Costco has a good return policy if you don't like it. John

Collapse -
sceptre
by theblitz / August 30, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

I too received notice that it would take 14-20 days for delivery. I was informed Friday that I will be getting delivery this Thursday (Sept. 1st) Looking forward to it.

It you have Dish or Direct TV you do NOT need a video card. Your HD receiver has a card.

the blitz

Collapse -
sceptre 37'' LDC TV from Costco.com - I'll take my money bac
by rimacbob / September 6, 2005 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: sceptre

My Spectre 37 inch LCD TV arrived about a week after ordering it from Costco.com. The specs were terrific & the price astounding. It doesn't look bad either. My TV lasted all of 3 days & then broke. It is stuck is ''sleep mode'' and will not turn on or off. It was flakey the first 3 days & was only able to give mono sound - no stereo. Sheesh. You get what you pay for. Now I have to pack it all back up & drive it to Costco for a refund.

Collapse -
Sceptre 37'' Naga
by drmaddern / September 8, 2006 7:51 PM PDT

Hey, just got my new 37'' and have to say, nice HD pix, but the sound on the non HD channels is very distorted. Anyone else notice this, have adjusted the on screen menu but the sound is very bad. Anyone have any suggestions. Got this from Costco on line, fast delivery, easy set up, good deal if I can get the sound distortion problem solved

Zac32

Collapse -
Scepre 37": tA month later and REAL happy
by howardwaz / September 26, 2005 3:32 PM PDT

I received my Sceptre 37" LCD a week after COSTCO released it. It arrived without a remote control, but I could operate it (except for picture adjustments) from the set.

Sceptre was incredibly responsive to my problem. I both called and e-mailed their California office. I spoke to a human being within 30 seconds of dialing. They said they did not have them in stock but would ship as soon as they arrived. That happened within a week, they called of their own volition to follow-up!

Once I received the remote I was able to tweak the image.

I could not be happier. The image is extradinary. 1920 x 1080 on a 37" set is like watching a 70mm film. Standing within six inches of the set you cannot distinguish the pixels.

I'm running through a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD Cable Box through Cox Cable and the HD channels are mind blowing- Football is a whole new experience. The Sopranos take on a whole new dimension-- literally.

Standard broadcast varies. The NBC affiliate here in Tucson puts out a lousy signal on any receiver-- it's exagerated on an HD set and theyand the ABC affiliate do not yet feed an HD signal through Cox.

This set was an incredible buy for $1700. Go get one

I

Collapse -
Scepter 37
by kjturner5 / November 15, 2005 4:05 AM PST

I am thinking about purchasing this TV from costco.com but want to use it also as a computer monitor. Does it accept a dvi computer connection or is it just a vga and is there a limit on that resolution below the 1920 by 1080?

Collapse -
sceptre grad "F" from the better business bureau
by mentho / February 14, 2006 6:11 AM PST
Collapse -
it might look good by itself...
by mak99 / February 14, 2006 7:04 AM PST

...but then comnpare side-by-side to well-known brands. You'll notice the Sceptre picture will look a bit washed out, and not as colorful/sharp as others. It's probably a big step up from an analog TV, but it's probably worth paying a bit more for a better-known LCD brand.

Same with Maxent plasmas at Costco - I was quite sold on them initially, then really started to compare to the adjacent Panasonic/Philips/Pioneers. While still a fairly impressive picture, it just could not compare to the others.

Of course, I have no idea which TVs were even close to being properly calibrated. I'm sure that will help any brand out there look their best. Still, be wary of Sceptre - and keep your receipt!!!

Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!