The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do you rely on to be informed of ongoing scams?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 1, 2012 8:04 AM PDT
What do you rely on to be informed of ongoing scams?

-- The news. (Isn't it a bit late by then?)
-- Web sites. (Any particular one?)
-- Word of mouth.
-- My gut instincts. (Have you ever been wrong?)
-- Through the experience of being scammed.
-- Community forums, such as these.
-- Other sources. (What are they?)
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you rely on to be informed of ongoing scams?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you rely on to be informed of ongoing scams?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
omg..I"m scammed
by msfig / June 1, 2012 11:34 AM PDT
having been scammed and my identity stolen, I feel like a pro with this question. I'm aware if a deal sounds weird, a call is phony and someone is too chummy..but reported info is important as it brings awareness to the scams being done.
Collapse -
Persistant scammers
by ronyh.gray / June 1, 2012 1:12 PM PDT
When I started getting these scam messages (& my wife) I yelled SPEAK UP I can't hear you, or understand you - she just kept burbling on so I hung up. The next time I YELLED have you got a Supervisor who can speak English - burbled on again. A couple of next times, both my wife & myself told him/her we have not got computers & hung up.
All future calls to us get "just hang on a minute" & we proceed to do whatever it was we were doing.
Guess what the calls have almost dried up!!!
This note is from New Zealand
Collapse -
Hopefully, two words, INFORMED and TRUSTWORTHY
by retreaded / June 1, 2012 2:28 PM PDT

I do NOT respond to emails telling me that a scammer is active on the net and if I go to a nominated web page I can download a "scammer Detective" or some such name.
My trust of downloads are limited to CNET and Twocows. There may be others, but these two have stood the test of time. If subscribers know of others, I would be pleased to know.
The news from reliable IT Informers, via TV is OK and providing it is not too late, to make me aware.
My Gut feeling is NOT reliable. I was taken in by a site, riding on the back of a microsoft site, promising a super dooper , newly developed CAD programme costing only $12.00. I knew that it would be somewhat limited, but as I was interested in CAD I bought and downloaded it. It was as primitive as those of Win 95 era, and worse still. was told that I would receive another programme each month for the same price. I immediately contacted my Bank, cancelled my Credit Card and received a new number. Since it was an American Website, I reported it the the Authorities, but have not heard if the group were investigated..

Collapse -
Scam Alerts and More
by skycatcher / June 1, 2012 7:00 PM PDT

CNET Community Forums and very useful for these alerts but I also subscribe to Sophos Naked Security - http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/ - for much more frequent alerts and updates on problems.

They are a UK based AV company but acts worldwide in the AV industry.

Collapse -
Carol!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 10:55 PM PDT

Although Carol is not so much a "What" as a "Who"! Happy

She provides consistent and regular "News" threads in the Spyware, viruses and security forum.

Like this example.

Mark

Disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with CNET or Carol and am a volunteer only with full independence of choice and action. No one has forced me to make this advert, er... post. Not even Carol. Devil

Collapse -
That exclamation-mark after the name ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Carol!
Collapse -
(NT) LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 4, 2012 8:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Scam - Trying to get access to your computer
by MickyYou / June 1, 2012 11:39 PM PDT

Always ask for name and get them to spell it
"Your are based"? place
"Telephone no so I can ring back?"
If the phone is not already been closed then make an appointment when you can ring back

Collapse -
bad poll
by zclayton2 / June 3, 2012 10:19 PM PDT

Lee, this is one where you really need an "all of the above" choice. not one of them is correct by itself.

Collapse -
Doh, my bad that...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 5, 2012 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: bad poll

I should have included that.

Sorry about that.

-Lee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.