HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

What do you do when you have no user rights, no XP CD

by funchic5 / April 21, 2011 3:01 PM PDT
I recently bought a Dell Latitude D610 and a wireless router. Hooked up router with my desktop pc and the new laptop. All was well for 1 day. Now the new laptop (rebuilt by the way) can not connect to the internet and when I log in it says my user name or domain name are incorrect. Then if I press enter it logs me in but says it couldn't find my local or roaming profile. I only have a temporary profile, and I have no user rights. Every time I try to do something access is denied. I do not have an xp cd or a cd from dell. I have been reading articles and trying the fixes for days, nothing works, and I'm exhausted. Also, I recently had to take the desktop pc in because it had a virus. I think maybe they didn't get rid of all of it. Is it possible to pass the virus to the laptop once I hooked them both up to the router?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you do when you have no user rights, no XP CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you do when you have no user rights, no XP CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Still under warranty?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 9:51 PM PDT

If so, I would ask Dell Help Support about this.

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Under warranty or not
by Jimmy Greystone / April 21, 2011 11:20 PM PDT

Under warranty or not, you should be able to request a copy of the restore media from Dell. IIRC, the first one is free, after that some shipping and handling fee applies.

If that doesn't pan out, then your options are down to either giving Linux a try or seeing if that system is powerful enough to be worth upgrading to Windows 7. The D610 has been around for a long time, and they've refreshed the hardware a number of times, so it's hard to tell which one you have. Some of them had Core 2 Duos in them, and those may be acceptable for use with Win 7.

There may also be a hidden recovery partition on the system. Reboot and keep pressing F12 about once a second until you get a menu, and see if there's an option that's labeled something along the lines of System Recovery. Just keep in mind that will likely format the drive and you'll lose everything, so if you need to back anything up, now would be the time.

Also, you'd probably never be able to prove it in court, but it sounds like the place you took the system to hooked it up to a domain, and then forgot to go in and turn that off. It could also just be that they didn't actually get everything off your system that you paid them to, which again you'll never be able to prove. But, it probably couldn't hurt to call up the place you took it, and ask them if they did this or that, and if they could undo it if they say yes. It was their mistake, so they shouldn't charge you for it. And if they blow you off, are evasive, want to try and upsell you on some other service, then you've learned never to go to that place again because they are an unethical (at best) establishment.

Collapse -
Answer
This certainly isn't the machine ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 22, 2011 4:40 AM PDT

as it came originally from Dell. All I can say: return it and if they can't get it fully working ask your money back.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.