The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do you do most with your digital photos?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 5, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

Create slide shows (tell us more)
Print them out (tell us more)
Use an online host for others to view (which one?)
Send to friends and relatives (how?)
Put them on my personal Web site (tell us more)
Use them for business (what kind of business?)
Other (what is it?)
I don't do anything with them (why not?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you do most with your digital photos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you do most with your digital photos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Online host service
by mrcoons / October 5, 2006 9:20 PM PDT

I use Smugmug, they are they best at what they do. Unlimited space and they let you display your photos in whatever artistic manner you choice. I've tried almost all the services and Smugmug was the best for me.

Collapse -
Smug Mug
by APCJr / October 5, 2006 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Online host service

Here's another vote for SmugMug (http://www.smugmug.com) as the best I've found after years (ever pre-digital) of uploading to other sites.

Collapse -
New facility
by janewheelie / October 9, 2006 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Smug Mug

A new system has been launched this week - to enable all digital info to be stored and shared (if required) www.helloworld.com the site is just being uploaded and more is being added everyday. Keep watching and join in a new webmaster affiliate site is available for free or for a small monthly fee sites have more facilities. Check it out - my digital ID is janepike if you want to join up. Jane

Collapse -
re: smugmug?
by starrpoint / November 24, 2006 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Online host service

Do you have a lot of junk with this site.

I have tried several, but get a lot of junk that downloads with so many of them.
Hubby got a nasty worm with one he tried.

Collapse -
Web Shots
by michaelpurslow / October 5, 2006 9:27 PM PDT

I use the web shots site where show a selection of my photographs.

Michael Purslow

Collapse -
ofoto.com
by RetiredJohn / October 5, 2006 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Web Shots

I've always used Ofoto.com, which is now Kodak Gallery.com, to post my pictures and have them printed out. It's run by Kodak and, I feel, very reasonably priced for prints.

Collapse -
Webshots Is the Easiest
by fiveamrunner / October 6, 2006 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Web Shots

I've had accounts on other sites, but for navigating, searching topics and sharing with friends and relatives, Webshots, ( http://www.webshots.com/ ), is by far the most user-friendly. With their recent upgrade to the site, its even easier, and I really like the feature they've added to allow daily access to my album stats, (how many have viewed my pics and how many have been downloaded by other Webshots members).

Come visit my pics, if you like...

http://community.webshots.com/user/fiveamrunner

Cheers - Dave - Canberra, Australia

Collapse -
Create Slideshows
by gatorjack01 / October 5, 2006 9:59 PM PDT

I normally will create a slideshow using Photoshop Elements 4.0 and/or Photoshop Premiere Elements 2.0. It is pretty easy to use and you can add music to enhance the show.

I then burn DVDs and give them to my friends.

Collapse -
Create a DVD slideshow. Try PhotoVidShow
by pipinsmurf / October 23, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Create Slideshows

I've been creating photo DVD slidehows. one of the better ones is PhotoVidShow at http://www.photo-dvd-slideshow.co.uk. Absolutely brialliant software. Been doing some holiday snaps and also some professional weddings too.

PSmurf.

Collapse -
paint watercolors
by Voltinator / October 5, 2006 10:52 PM PDT

I paint original watercolors from my photos. I was wondering how to digitally protect them - so thanks!

Collapse -
Slide Show With Music
by LITTLESTAR / October 5, 2006 11:11 PM PDT

When we return from a vacation, I will first put captions to the pics and then use Adobe Photoshop Album to make the slideshow and will try to add background music that is appropriate to the show. This past summer we did a cruise on the NCL Jewel from Barcelona to Nice and I was able to string a few Italian songs into one mp3 using total recorder and then using that as the background. Every once in awhile i will use use Nero to make the slideshow because they have great effects but you cannot adjust the timing between slides like you can in Adobe.
Littlestar

Collapse -
Make DVD's
by futurewebboss / October 5, 2006 11:19 PM PDT

I use Photomax store my photos. Photomax also offers a photo saver service, so I am able to send all my family photos in for digitizing and then plan to make DVD's of each leg of our family as a Christmas gift. Photomax also offers franchises (futurephotoconcepts.com) which is what makes it truly unique.

Collapse -
I print them...when I'm not too lazy to do so
by CynicalGal / October 5, 2006 11:33 PM PDT

I on rare occasion upload them and use an online service. I have a portable HP photo printer and just picked up a *tiny* spny portable printer that I've yet to use (since I sold my old 2mp Sony digital camera and bought a Polaroid 5mp). When my family starts coming at me with the torches about printing the pics, that's when I do so.

I tried CVS once (printing from my memory card) and was not happy with the results.

Collapse -
I create a DVD
by gadgetguy11 / October 5, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

I create a DVD, using appropriate music for the group of photos, and transitions selected to add motion to each photo.

Collapse -
I love to scrapbook
by Dialady / October 6, 2006 12:17 AM PDT

The coolest thing about a digital camera is the ability to take 100 bad pictures to find a few really good ones. I take those few good ones and create a scrapbook for our family. It's relaxing. I

t also helps me with the layout and design for my website business. Sometimes doing it by hand enhances your ability to do it on the computer.

Oh and when I find that one in 1000 or one in 5000 picture, I get it printed and frame it Happy I have an amazing picture of a snail on a rose at the home of my late MIL. We took the last time we visited. It's an amazing close up and will remind us of a dear lady we loved who now is gone on.

Have a super day!
Theresa 8-)

Collapse -
Photo Sharing
by jnuss / October 6, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

After simple cleanup editing, I upload them to Fotki
and send the URL link to all my friends and relatives.
Also, I am the designated, unofficial photographer and webmaster in a barbershop chapter and quartet. I post the Fotki URL links on our chapter website for those photos involving chapter activities. Come visit us at
www.crystalaires.org.

Collapse -
Other... also know as most of the above...
by SujaGeorge / October 6, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

I do many different things with the images we take here at home. It depends on where and why the pictures are taken.

Create slide shows
Print them out
Use an online host for others to view
Send to friends and relatives
Put them on my personal Web site

Slide shows are great for specific events.
I print many of the old family photo's so they can be put into scrap books.
I put images online if a large number of folks might want to share them.
I email relatives images of family so they can enjoy the images too.
I use a few for various websites including MySpace.

Collapse -
by nwachimeagom / October 6, 2006 1:24 AM PDT

I mostly use them to share with friends and relatives via email, using PhotoShop to resize them first.
I also create screensavers for whatever is happening in our family (weddings, celebrations, etc.) or for whatever season we are in (fall, winter, etc.).

Collapse -
I use pbase online galleries
by RalphDV / October 6, 2006 1:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Use an online host for others to view
by ocdavid / October 6, 2006 2:02 AM PDT

I use Picasa Web Albums to share with friends and family. It's pretty easy to navigate and manage the pictures and it's really easy for some of my less computer savvy relatives to view the pics!

Collapse -
Me 2!
by AMXP / October 6, 2006 2:32 AM PDT

That's what I use too. I like it because it makes getting my pictures into an online album quick and easy. With the theft thing going on I may have to go back and make all my albums privet. Dunno yet.

!MJJ

Collapse -
Fun with digital photos
by ctwd / October 6, 2006 2:31 AM PDT

At first, just using free Adobe Photoshop Album starter, I printed out the good shots on a new HP Photosmart. Then I took a Photoshop CS class online and went crazy creating collages and artwork(?) for birthday cards for the family. What's hard is trying NOT to take a photo of every gorgeous sunset or lovely flower in my garden.

Collapse -
What do I do with most of my digital photos?
by calvers / October 6, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

If half the people who answered this survey were to tell you the "real" truth and not what they wish were true, they would have said "I don't do anything with my digital pictures.

It's the same thing we did in the film era. We had the negatives processed and prints made, looked at them a couple of times, then "filed" them in some big box in the junk closet.

I take a lot of pictures, and I burn them to DVDs for posterity, but most of the time they're crappy, just like when I was shooting film.

Collapse -
Photo editing and different uses
by Dave White / October 6, 2006 3:03 AM PDT

I use two differnt digital poto software. one by ashampoo and the ofther is Adobe. each has it own slide show ability. I post trips and house projects in my spaces by microsoft. I have made backgrounds and water marks for msn messenger, and my word processor for varying documents. There have been times that I have used the microsoft program called photo story for other projects done for people I know that want to send something to a family member that strictly uses the program. There is a whole world of things you can do with your photo editing programs which would enhance your photo experience. You just have to learn how then apply your new ability to what you are doing.

Collapse -
On the computer
by sharee100 / October 6, 2006 3:24 AM PDT

I just file them, after naming and dating them, on my computer. If someone wants to see nay photos, they are there. Or if they want a printout, it's there. Instant access. Hard copies fade. Albums take up too much room. It's easier to just keep them on the computer until they are asked for.

Collapse -
Sending digital photo's to other sourdes !
by donsut / October 6, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

Would be good if others could share tips on how to to send and improve your digital photo's
tks Don

Collapse -
Digital Photos
by jdibley / October 6, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

24% don't do anything with their Photos?
Why do you take 'em if you don't use 'em?

I email friends and relatives my best (and sometimes, worst) Photos. And they do the same...

I am looking forward to using Photos for business, as soon as I get my damned web page up and running, that is.

spaceagebeatnik.com

Collapse -
I post them Online. = P
by germanium9 / October 6, 2006 5:48 AM PDT

I like to take my photos that I enjoy the most and I'll stick them on www.deviantart.com. Sometimes I play with them before sticking them up, but they end up there either way. = P

~Holly

Ps. My site is fallenangel27.deviantart.com for those who are interested in what art I have. lol

Collapse -
What i do with my digital photos.
by daeanarah / October 6, 2006 5:53 AM PDT

Hi i just want to say that i put my digital photos on my webpage, as i make quilts for sale and quilts to honor Fallen Heroes, i.e. Police-Fire depts, Fallen Military personnel who died while on active duty.

the quilts can be seen at
honoring fallen heroes: http://lion_sheart.tripod.com
quilts made and for sale and for kids entering foster care, or needy kids
Http://www.geocities.com/kressalyne
other links to older pages are located at the bottom of geocities.com/kressalyne webpage. feedback always welcomed.

blessings.
rhyanna
Stop the Hurt.. Report Child & Elder Abuse.

Collapse -
Online hosts
by smartipants / October 6, 2006 11:26 AM PDT

I use Flickr for many of my images. My college photo club has a private group there. However, I don't like to use any host that requires creating an account in order to view them. This does not work for my computer-illiterate family. I usually use Kodak gallery (formerly ofoto.com) for them. I've tried different hosts and this seems to be the easiest and does not require a sign-up. :o)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?