The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What do you do most with your digital photos?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / November 16, 2005 7:23 AM PST

Create slide shows (tell us more)
Print them out (tell us more)
Use an online host for others to view (which one?)
Send to friends and relatives (how?)
Put them on my personal Web site (tell us more)
Other (what is it?)
I don't do anything with them (why not?)
I'd do something if I could get them off the camera!
I don't take digital photos (why not?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do you do most with your digital photos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do you do most with your digital photos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Photos
by A.L. / November 17, 2005 8:00 PM PST

I create shows using Photo Story 3, burn them to a disc and give them to friends and family.
Ann

Collapse -
by sanperyaq / November 17, 2005 8:26 PM PST

I don't have a Digital Camera (in my country it's yet very expensive for me).

Collapse -
What country do you live in?
by culip / November 17, 2005 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Oh, what country do you live in? I live in Japan.

Collapse -
Photo Story 3 for Windows
by denebuff / November 17, 2005 8:59 PM PST

I love taking pictures of friends and family and the best way I have found to show them is by using photo story 3 for windows. This program goes above and beyond a regularly slide show. It allows pictures to be inserted with motion and beautiful transitions that are set to your favorite song or you have the ability to create your own.
Then burn the whole thing on CD or DVD in full stereo.
I also make labels for the completed project to give it that final touch.
My friends & family love them.

Collapse -
Photostory 3 is Among the Best
by EscapePod / November 17, 2005 10:46 PM PST

I agree. Photostory 3 is one of the all-time best applications to come out of Microsoft.

Collapse -
Another Program
by honestjohn / November 18, 2005 2:48 AM PST

I have been using a free program called Picasa, and what a neat program for a real novice, it lets me co most things with the digital photos, and real easy. RB

Collapse -
I use Adobe's Photoshop Elements 4.0
by wazo502 / November 18, 2005 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Another Program

I have a Canon Digital Rebel and download the photos with a card reader. I then organize it with the ''Organizer'' within Photoshop Elements. Occationally, I print out the favorite ones within Photoshop Elements to a Epson Photo RX500 on a Epson photo paper. Of course, you can use the share photo portion of Elements to share online (but make sure that you have DSL or high speed internet! Uploading picture with dial up modem is not a good idea unless that's your ownly choice + you got time to kill). The Organizer portion also allows you to make VCD/DVD slideshow, make your own photobook, calendar -- or if you don't want to print it yourself, you can do the creation then use the ''print online'' and it will send the order to Kodak Easyshare. Too bad that they don't have organizer on the Mac.

Collapse -
Burn slide to DVD
by mangomama / November 18, 2005 7:12 AM PST

Do you use Photo Story 3 to burn to a DVD format which can be viewed in a stand-alone DVD player? Please tell me exactly what steps you use to create a DVD from the Photo Story 3 file.

I have used Windows Movie Maker for my digital photos but this program doesn't allow me to burn to a DVD format which I can show in any DVD.

Collapse -
Make DVD with Photo Story
by jbetta / November 29, 2005 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Burn slide to DVD

You have to buy the plug-in software from Sonic for Photo Story 3

Collapse -
what do i do with my digital photos
by maggiedev / November 17, 2005 9:01 PM PST

i take literally hundreds of photos a month with my olympus c-8080 camera. at the cost of ink i cannot print out each photo so i take the best of them, create album pages from "picture it". then i take some of the better ones and put them on a page in wallet size and all photos go on disk for use later if i need them. i use a three ring school binder that i decorate and place my printed pages into plastic sleeves for protection, and then place them into the binder. not as fancy as store bought albums, but very cost effective. this process saves on ink and i have very nice photo albums as well. i find that narrow shoe boxes that ladies or childrens shoes come in are perfect storage boxes for disks. since i started using digital 5 years ago i have filled 5 shoe boxes with disks. i also have 5 photo albums with only the best of the photos printed in them. many thousands of photos. i find this system saves me money, preserves all my photos and places a good many out where family and friends can see them easily. after i have burned the disks, i remove all the photos from my computer. i download all from camera daily and make sure disk is good before i erase from camera. i have never lost a picture yet. when i go on vacation i take my laptop and download and burn all photos daily. that way i can erase and start over the next day with my camera. has worked for me for several years.

Collapse -
Computer, web and print
by lhnorman / November 17, 2005 11:37 PM PST

I print off a few photos. I put a few of my best on a couple of web sites I manage. Mostly I keep them on my computer and backed up to my laptop in monthly folders.

Xnview can be had for free at its web site for instant thumbnails so that finding a picture is easy should I want to print it, send it as e-mail or promote it to web status.

Collapse -
Digital Photos
by barb p--2008 / November 17, 2005 9:06 PM PST

I do a variety of things w/my digital photos. I send them by email to family & friends around the country. I print them, do slide shows of special events. Several of my family members have Ceiva Frames so I send them special pictures.

Collapse -
Avid Scrapbooker
by ajmahle / November 17, 2005 9:22 PM PST

After uploading, I print the best of the batch, then put them in a scrapbook which sits on a coffee table in my living room. The remainder of the photos are archived to CD. I build one scrapbook and CD per year. My photos are safe and the memories are there for my family to remember and enjoy everyday.

Collapse -
I use Photomax.com (Deal link attached)
by dv8nxlr8 / November 17, 2005 9:51 PM PST
Collapse -
digital photos
by Scott Duval / November 17, 2005 9:56 PM PST

Hi,I turn my digital photos into art and cards.
also when the art is done,I put them in a dvd slideshow with music using "roxio videowave" software.
it takes 30-40 pieces or so of art (or images) to make a 3 -5 minute slideshow dvd with music.collages I make are done with photoshop 7.

Collapse -
digital image editing
by nancyhardin / January 5, 2006 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: digital photos

I have recently started making cards/art from digital photos. I want to make the picture look like a watercolor. I've seen the results but not sure how they're created. Microsoft Digital image 2006 lists a "watercolor" filter and I know Photoshop lists "paint" options but no actual experience with either. Can you advise me on either or other software to get the results I want? I don't want to get too sophisticated since I'm rather a beginner. thanks

Collapse -
Digital ??
by schulz / November 17, 2005 10:04 PM PST

Love my PC, intrigued with all the latest gadgets, but for photos...well, i am old and in love with the artistry of film. For now i am working on a tactful comment for when i open the digital camera the Grandkids are conspiring to give me for the holidays!

Collapse -
Film ??
by wizard_z5 / November 17, 2005 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Digital ??

I really appreciate the art of film photography. Its great. I just find it simpler when I'm out to take pictures to only be limited by the space on my memory card and with the size of these cards now, its ridiculous. I'll take the equivalent to 12 rolls of film. Not having to change rolls of film helps a lot. Then I don't have to pay for processing to see the results. I just plug it in to the computer when I get home a scrutinize away. Storing printing and just about everything else becomes so much simpler with digital, provided you're comfortable with computers. I'm not saying digital is better but it is definitely more convenient.

Collapse -
Film VS Digital
by D. Ness / November 18, 2005 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Film ??

The advantages of digital storage and handling as opposed to film - changing rolls; processing - is a big advantage.
But because I publish technical articles, I prefer the higher resolution that film offers. (although newer digital cameras are rapidly catching up I'll admit)

When I have my film processed, I have the company that does the processing, "burn" a CD with both a "hi res" and "low res" set of the pictures. I keep a set of "thumbnail" pictures in a catalog stored on the computer and cross referenced to the CDs and the negatives.

Collapse -
Create custom photobooks
by dlmoore / November 17, 2005 10:12 PM PST

We just started putting our pictures in a book and it is GREAT!! $29.95 you get a bound book that looks very professional. This company provides the software and you just create the book offline and upload it to the company. The software allows you to arrange the pictures in several different arrangements on the page, add comments to the pages and number the pages. They print it on glossy paper that looks and feels like a book and had wonderful quality pictures.
They supply the software for building your book that runs standalone on your computer. I highly recommend the publisher.

http://mypublisher.com/default.php

Collapse -
Great program but ...
by Daph / November 20, 2005 3:06 PM PST

They don't post to Australia!

Daphne

Collapse -
by tweaker95 / November 17, 2005 10:13 PM PST

i work at a no kill animal shelter in Huntsville,TX and recently bought my first digital camera {fuji fine pix A360} and i put a lot of my pictures on their website www.zoomshare.littlewoman.com {shameless plug}. i catwait until a learn how to edit the rest of the site because it REALLY needs work. i've learned a lot from Cnet and the posts, keep up the great work.

Collapse -
Taking Pictures for work and fun
by wizard_z5 / November 17, 2005 10:43 PM PST

I work at K's Merchandise, a retail chain in the midwest US. Most of the pictures I take with my panasonic DMC-FZ20 I upload to the company websites. Most of what I take is more for employees but some of my pictures are on the company website:

http://www.ksmerchandise.com/

When I have the opportunity to take pictures for myself I will take about 200 or so and then print four or five. I have about that many picture frames in my office and I like being able to switch around the pictures to show whatever my latest going-ons are. The rest I save on my hard drive, its got the space.

Collapse -
Put them on a personal web site.
by dscarn / November 17, 2005 11:29 PM PST

I have created a personal web site for my granddaughter. From day one until now, there are pictures showing her progression and speical places she has been to. It is great, you can see how much she has changed from last year until now.

It is alot easier to send everyone the link to the website then sending the pictures. The link also has a place to put your comments about the website and a place for the parents or myself to add stories about going to the zoo or her first birthday party.

Dawn in Tampa, Florida

Collapse -
Tired of Shoe Boxes
by daverossetti / November 17, 2005 11:29 PM PST

Maybe you can relate. As a kid, I must of heard it a thousand times, "don't waste the film, pictures are expensive." So I learned not to bother much with camaras. Seems when we did take pictures, all we did was dump them into shoeboxes.

Advance to 2005. Now I have a digital camera. It costs me nothing to take pictures. Half of them turn out bad (as did the ones I used to take with a regular camera), but I delete those before I even download them. When I download them into my hard drive, they end up in tidy folders that identify the date of download. I may send one or two to friends via email, but most of them stay right there. A 40G HD, even loaded with lots of applications & stuff, holds a whole lot of pictures. Unlike the shoe box, it takes up no additional space and they stay new (no curling or bending). On top of that, thumbnail folder or search views (for multiple folders) are a whole lot easier to sort through than multiple shoeboxes full of disorganized pictures.

I love my digital camara. It's guilt free.

Collapse -
Aman Brother!
by sumojocky / November 18, 2005 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Tired of Shoe Boxes

Me too except I digitized lots of those shoebox photos (35mm slides) so they can be on my hard drive too. Then I burned them all to CD's and put the CD's back in a shoebox.

Collapse -
Post Subject
by Ausimax / November 21, 2005 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Tired of Shoe Boxes

daverossetti, you have said it all, hidden away in shoe boxes and albums never again to see the light of day.
On your computer you can browse through them at any time.
I have recently converted my slides to digital for that very reason -they hadn't been viewed for at least 15 years - and if you want to send them to someone - just send in an email.

Since I went digital I have only had about a dozen photos printed, those for a friend without a computer.

Max

Collapse -
How I send my photo
by betteguadalupe / November 18, 2005 12:06 AM PST

I use Kodak Share..I take the pictures with a digital kodak camera, then download them to my PC to Kodak share program on my PC, edit them then send them by email, Kodak will share them through their online program which my friends and family can see the photos as a slideshow if they want..

Collapse -
reduce the miles
by dennispsmith / November 18, 2005 1:34 AM PST

my young children live over 1,000 miles away from their closest grandparent, cousin, aunt & uncle. So the pressure/guilt is pretty great to make sure they don't grow up complete strangers from their blood relatives. Photo sharing is my single greatest online savior; it's not even close. And financially, it's so cost-effective it sometimes feels like I'm stealing.

Thank you, Al Gore! Wink

Collapse -
strickly biz.
by moosedsm / November 18, 2005 2:07 AM PST

I'm a realtor, and a big part of my job is determining home values. So I'm taking pictures 3-4 days a week. Most get loaded onto a seperate file for each address, then the best are sent via the internet to the verious companies that are paying me to take them, normally 2-5 pics for each job. These are sent along with my opinion of the homes value. They are ether sent as an email attachment, or via i-pix.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.