Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What do the programs do????

by luked66 / March 16, 2005 3:36 AM PST

Does anyone know of a good (and inexpensive) utility that can tell you what programs are running on your PC and what they do? I'm so tired of seeing all these random files that I suspect of being malicious, without really knowing for sure. I have Webroot Spy Sweeper and SpyBot S&D but there are still things that are running on my system that I'd like to know about.

Any help?

Luke

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do the programs do????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do the programs do????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure can and it is free...
by Edward ODaniel / March 16, 2005 4:36 AM PST

Follow the link below and download Process Explorer by Mark Russinovich of System Internals.

He has been writing tools for Windows for years.

Be sure that you download the proper file for YOUR Operating System (which you seem to have felt was not important enough to mention). If you get a message about missing symbols just ignore it as it is not important for your purposes. You can right click on the column headings and add additional info columns for viewing.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Collapse -
If you're runnning XP then you can.....
by tobeach / March 16, 2005 2:50 PM PST

check out a site called: Blackviper.com (Goggle it) as he has a start up list which describes many progs running in background and whether necessary.

If you're running 95/98/ME then try a site called : Pacmansportal .com (out of England ) who runs a pretty extensive start-up list and also describes them along with necessity of them running all the time.

Your Spybot has a tool for "system startup" which lists start up items running and allows you to turn them off or on by checking/unchecking each items box and on far right side gives a breif description of each.

Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
and if you are running Linux
by dawillie / March 16, 2005 3:24 PM PST

then go to our Linux forum.

Collapse -
Spybot
by Basil Hall / March 17, 2005 7:00 AM PST

Tobeach wrote:

Your Spybot has a tool for "system startup" which lists start up items running and allows you to turn them off or on by checking/unchecking each items box and on far right side gives a breif description of each.

I knew about the SB "system startup", but could someone explain to me the significance of the red, yellow and green highlighing of some of the programs?

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Start a new thread please.
by dawillie / March 17, 2005 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Spybot
Collapse -
I do not understand...
by Basil Hall / March 17, 2005 8:24 AM PST

The initial question was asking what programs do. I assumed that this was not only due to inquisitiveness but also a fear that some of the programs might be malicious. I also assumed that the colour coding of programs in SB S&D gives us further indication of the special nature of the highlighted items, thus whether they are desirable or not. Hence the question under this heading.

Collapse -
Hi Basil
by roddy32 / March 17, 2005 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Spybot

I'm not sure where you are talking about as far as the "red, yellow and green highlighing of some of the programs". If something is found in a scan itself this is what it says in the Spybot Help file.(everything that is bold is a copy and paste from the Spybot help file)

If the scan has found something, the list will show it. There are two basic kinds of results:

Red entries indicate spyware problems that should be fixed to avoid security and/or privacy problems. This is the only kind of problem that is preselected to be fixed.

Green entries indicate usage tracks. It can do no harm to remove these

As far as startup entires, they are either regular black print or black print that is bold which is explained here.
System startup
This tool lists all programs that are started at Windows startup. If those items are in the database coming with Spybot-S&D, it will display some more information about them. It also allows you to disable (and enable) items, as well as delete them, change them or insert new items.

On Windows 9x and ME, the user has full access to this list. On Windows NT/2000/XP, the list will display the global and the current user entries. For some functions like seeing all entries or even changing some, the user may need admin or power user rights.

New feature added in version 1.3: entries that have changed since the last snapshot (the first snapshot is created when you started Spybot-S&D for the first time, later on you can create snapshots by right-clicking the list and selecting the corresponding menu item) are displayed in bold letters. This allows you to see changes to the list at once.

I hope this answers some questions.

Collapse -
Thanks Roddy
by Basil Hall / March 17, 2005 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Basil

I will explain in detail. I have SB 1.3.1 TX.
Using "Advanced mode" I access "system startup". In the list all HK_LM:RUN entries are highlighted green or yellow.

AVG,PrevX, Zonelabs are all green.
MS AntiSpy, Internet Sweeper, Sound man,VT Timer all yellow.

One item HK_CU:RUN ctfmon.exe (WIND.SYST. 32) is red.

All the rest are on the normal white background.

Changes are indicated by the black lettering being bold, as normal.

Is this just a querk of my SB or do others have it?

Collapse -
It must be a quirk Basil because
by roddy32 / March 17, 2005 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Roddy

I have exactly the same version and all mine are in "system startup" are either regular black or bold if they have been changed just like it says in the help file. I don't know why yours are colored although I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?