Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

What do I need to connect from wireless ISP to desktop & lap

by edvin74 / June 15, 2007 7:56 PM PDT

First of all I am not a computer wiz and need your help.
I am trying to connect my desktop (via Ethernet cable) and laptop (it has wireless on it) to the ISP. This company is providing wireless signal but unfortunately it is no very strong at my house. What kind of equipment do I need in order to connect my computers?

So from wireless ISP to my computers. What do I need

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What do I need to connect from wireless ISP to desktop & lap
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What do I need to connect from wireless ISP to desktop & lap
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry. No details = no starting point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 9:21 PM PDT

When you post it asks for details so I don't have to. If you can't provide make and models of the wireless gear then I can't help.

Bob

Collapse -
Litle more details
by edvin74 / June 15, 2007 11:49 PM PDT

Let me try to rephrase it.
My Internet Service Provider is wireless. So what kind of equipment do I need to get connection to my computers (Wireless Router, Access Point, Bridge or else)?
For example Linksys WRT54GS Broadband Router lets you connect Wireless ? G and Wireless ? B devices and wired-Ethernet devices together. But it requires high-speed or DSL internet connection.
In my case internet connection is coming wireless.
Can I use this Router for my needs, or I need something else?
Also signal is not to strong so I will need antenna too.
To make it easier let?s concentrate on Linksys and D-Link equipment.

Collapse -
Still no details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Litle more details

What gear do you have now. I could guess that what you offered might work but I have no details to start with.

If such is a secret then just tell so I will unsubscribe from this discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Noting to hide
by edvin74 / June 16, 2007 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Still no details.

No Sir.
I have noting to hide.
Actually I appreciate you responding to my questions.
I don?t have any gear right now. I am trying to find what is right for me so I can buy it.
That is why I need your advice on what gear should I buy to create my little network.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you, Bob.

Collapse -
The gear from the wireless provider must be known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Noting to hide

Or else we can't build a solution. Details such as the service's name and web site might have been shared but even that detail is missing.

I would not buy anything yet without knowing the gear they use.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?