Question

What did C|NET Download Installer install? (Mac)

OK, live and learn. Now that a strange program popped up this morning trying to sell me on a cloud storage service, I've gone back and read the C|NET fine print and I now "get it" what happened. I am wondering what else was installed. Does the C|NET download.com installer ever package more than one additional program with your download?

Being on Mac, I can easily look at Applications in list view and sort by Date Added to see the trojan in there at the same time yesterday that I downloaded the desired program, CyberDuck. Is it possible other files were installed in other locations other than the Applications folder?

Or can I assume they only install in the Apps folder and I've caught the one uninvited guest?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What did C|NET Download Installer install? (Mac)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What did C|NET Download Installer install? (Mac)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
We apologize for any inconvenience here.

Many software titles on our site, for both Mac and Windows products, do use the Download.com Installer, which securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer also shows offers for additional, free applications provided by our partners. Some individual software publishers include such offers in their own installers too.

All offers, whether included in the Download.com Installer or in individual publishers' installers, must conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and must also provide a working method to decline or opt-out of them during the download. You are never required to accept any offers in order to complete a download, but you will want to keep a close eye out to be sure you see and have a chance to select the decline or opt-out option for any third party offers you do not want.

In future, although you cannot avoid using a software publisher's own installer when downloading their program, if you prefer not to use the Download.com Installer, you can simply click the Direct Download Link that is provided on all Installer Enabled product pages.

Read more about that option here:

http://t.cnet.com/1hjhgMb

For more detailed information on the Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/1dSQYi4

Depending on your operating system, you should be able to remove any third party applications that are installed either via your Control Panel (in Windows), or by dragging items from your Applications folder to the trash (in Mac).

Should you have any trouble with that, we recommend using one of the programs listed in our Windows or Mac uninstaller software categories:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/uninstallers/

http://download.cnet.com/mac/uninstallers/3150-2096_4-0.html

You will also want to check for any unwanted add-ons or extensions in your browsers, and remove or disable those. In some cases, you may need to reset your search and/or home pages as well.

If you need any further assistance with those steps, please see the following page for additional instructions for the most common browsers:

http://download.cnet.com/2701-2023_4-2006-1.html

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

- Collapse -
RE: What did C|NET Download Installer install? (Mac)

I understand that CBS Interactive, C|NET, and download.com all are for-profit elements that require revenue streams, and I accept responsibility for rushing through a download and not reading all the fine print. Anybody who doesn't read a typical Terms of Service agreement deserves whatever harm they suffer and lets face it, probably less than 1% of users read all the typical TOS fine print; probably a much larger percent read all the info screens in the course of a C|NET download. That for-profit model does in fact allow the staffing that provides for there being a Jen who has the time to paste ameliorating boilerplate after a query such as mine, and albeit likely canned, any response is appreciated and more than you get on many company sites. Thanks, Jen.

All that said about the philosophy of trojanware and accepting my own culpability in the matter, my question was whether on a Mac, it installs in other than the Applications folder. From Jen's answer there is acknowledgement that pieces parts of a program may appear in other folders. However, I assume that with my technique of sorting the Applications folder by Date Added I have discovered any/all basic "core" programs installed; and even though the program launched on restart, whatever elements it littered into other support folders likely are benign.

If anybody disagrees with that logic, please post. Thanks. I must say I am heartened by hearing from Jen there is a vetting process at C|NET that attempts to ensure no malware gets into their rotation for these "bonus" installations. I may trust C|NET a tad less than I have in the past but I take that as a good faith statement of corporate intent, despite having seem some rants from users in the forum that might be a bit more picky on definitions of "mal."

Again, I accept responsibility and I no doubt rushed through screens without pondering the import of ALL the text on them. My only defense is that I inappropriately trusted the C|NET brand name not to pull such shenanigans, and times change. I'm afraid now to read the fine print in pages carrying reviews I may have relied upon.

CNET Forums