Speakeasy forum

General discussion

what country am i? and NO google allowed!

by jonah jones / December 16, 2004 9:53 PM PST

#Some parts of -=-=-=- have the highest incidence of heart disease, cancer and strokes, the worst teeth and the lowest life expectancy in the developed world#

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what country am i? and NO google allowed!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what country am i? and NO google allowed!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The United States?
by Josh K / December 16, 2004 10:09 PM PST
Collapse -
by MKay / December 16, 2004 10:40 PM PST

Is that because we're so busy, trying to solve all the problems in the rest of the world??

Collapse -
Not necessarily ...
by Bill Osler / December 17, 2004 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: reply

There are parts of the US where the health care is abysmal.

During medical school (in Mississippi) we were told that the Mississippi delta had health conditions and complications that were, in some cases, comparable to those in third world countries. I think that the peri-natal death rate is what they were talking about at the time, although I do not remember.

I do not have any information about the specific quote that started the thread, but it wouldn't surprise me if it referred to the US.

Collapse -
It doesn't.
by Cindi Haynes / December 17, 2004 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily ...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL! I did the same thing Cindi:)
by Glenda / December 17, 2004 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: It doesn't.
Collapse -
There's just something WRONG
by Cindi Haynes / December 17, 2004 2:32 AM PST
Collapse -
That is RIGHT!!! Darn it I would.........
by Glenda / December 17, 2004 2:35 AM PST

have had the right answer if he hadn't put that darn stipulation in there! LOL
Glenda

Collapse -
WHO rates US health care system #72 in the world...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 17, 2004 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily ...

Dr. Bill -- bloew all other first-world countries, and many hird world (#71 is Costa Rica!) The high infant mortality and low life expectancies in the inner cities, on the indian reservations, and in poor rural areas are the major reason, as well as the lack of availability to those without insurance.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Great Britain?
by Glenda / December 16, 2004 11:13 PM PST

I think I heard something about this not to long ago.
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Australia?
by Cindi Haynes / December 17, 2004 12:37 AM PST
Collapse -
A cryptic NT, but anyway ...
by keyhoti2 / December 17, 2004 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Australia?

By and large we have a good health system, which is almost entirely free for low income earners and pensioners.

However native Australians (Aboriginals) often continue to live in "Third World" conditions, to which there is no easy answer ... but before someone gets on the bandwagon of denigrating native Americans, I will tell him or her that I have NO truck with putting down people who have only fairly lately been forced to abandon their traditional ways of life.

Meanwhile, at the risk of being accused of "hating America", to the best of my knowledge the USA has about the worst health/welfare system in the "developed world".

At the risk of being even more controversial/provocative/a "troll?" ... new one on me, Iraq once had about the best health/welfare/education system in the region. No more, of course.

Not sure what your question was, nor if it was directed towards me, but as I am the only Australian (that I know of) in SE, thought I might as well respond to "Australia?" and get some things off my chest (I DO NOT speak for all people who live in Australia of course, any more than you speak for all people who live in the USA.)

Or maybe you don't live in the USA.

Best wishes anyway, Gerry

Collapse -
Health care systems moot.
by Cindi Haynes / December 17, 2004 9:47 PM PST

Hi Gerry,

Jonah posted a question asking what country we believed his conditions met. My NT post was merely a guess that Australia was the answer, as I had recently read an article that stated that Australians were actually fatter and less healthy than Americans.

Scotland turned out to be the answer, though, so as unhealthy as both our countries' habits are, mine was only a guess.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Gotcha
by keyhoti2 / December 18, 2004 8:15 AM PST

Hi Cindi,

I tend to get a bit lost amongst the threads sometimes.

Evidently this was one of those occasions.

Best wishes, Gerry

Collapse -
yes your right the 100,000 dead in mass graves
by Mark5019 / December 18, 2004 5:00 AM PST

sure enjoyed saddams health care program. walk in and carry out

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) U.S. then Britian?
by caktus / December 17, 2004 1:41 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Africa
by Rolway / December 17, 2004 2:53 AM PST
Collapse -
So you and Bush have something in common
by Josh K / December 17, 2004 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Africa

He thinks Africa is a country too!

Wink

Collapse -
LOL
by keyhoti2 / December 17, 2004 12:54 PM PST

Except that it is VERY far from funny, as I am sure was the point you were making.

Regards, Gerry

Collapse -
Scotland :-(
by jonah jones / December 17, 2004 4:45 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's gotta be the haggis;)
by Steven Haninger / December 17, 2004 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: Scotland :-(
Collapse -
I was thinking Haiti, and checking Google to
by John Robie / December 17, 2004 4:50 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Russia?
by Paul C / December 17, 2004 5:22 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sounds depressingly like Scotland
by Ziks511 / December 18, 2004 3:59 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?