PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What could it be? Video card? CPU? Heatsink? HELP!

Let me try to explain the situation first.
My friend gave me his computer to check the RAM and processor to see if they were causing his computer to not work. So he brought it to my house and gave it to me overnight.

I first took out the Video Card so that I could easily get to the RAM and set it aside.
I then took out the RAM from my computer and realized the one was a CL3 that he had given me so I couldnt check because my motherboard supported CL2.

So my next step was to check the processor. I had put in the POSSIBLE bad one and put back the cooler and heatsink.
When I turned on the computer I would get a "no signal" from monitor, or a "going to sleep". I kept tryin to reconnect the video card and tried another monitor etc. but same problem...

So I then put the original processor back in and the same problem occured. Now my friend is upset and I am left with asking for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What could it be? Video card? CPU? Heatsink? HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What could it be? Video card? CPU? Heatsink? HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info please

In reply to: What could it be? Video card? CPU? Heatsink? HELP!

Something was "causing his computer to not work." What does "not work" mean? Details on the computer model, hardware, OS, and the specifics of the original problem are lacking.

It may not even be hardware.

I usually look for software reasons before cracking open the case. A lack of proper drivers, viruses, spyware are pretty common causes these days.

Collapse -

In reply to: more info please

To be honest with you, I dont care for that computer right now.

I am dying to get the (once) working one situated and fixed. It's amazing how I just unplugging and plugging back in, 1, 2, 3 things has caused me so much trouble.

Collapse -
why should we help you?

In reply to: Reply

1.) If the problem is software oriented, then you are wasting your time tinkering with the hardware. You may have performed radical surgery on a patient who only needed an aspirin. You need to tell all you know of the original symptoms so we may help you.

2.) Unless your system is overclocked, it's likely that installing CL3 where you once had CL2 RAM will not be a problem. Run memtest86+ to check each module. BTW, you made no mention of the computer model or motherboard model in the original computer or the testing computer. You didn't mention the memory type either

3.) Replacing a CPU is not a simple task. Did you remove all old thermal compound from heatsink and CPU cap? Did you reapply fresh compound according to the compound's instructions?

4.) If you can't supply any information to us, then you will get no help here. Supplying no info here means you need to take the computer to a local shop and pay to have it fixed...or maybe just return it to your friend. You have a choice here.

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: why should we help you?

1) I couldnt tell you if it is software oriented or anything because I cant get the screen to work, or the computer to really kick in.

2) I cant install the CL3 SDRAM into the RAM slot because it dont fit according to the slit's on the ram stick. The cl 3 one has two slots on the metallic bottom and the CL 2.5 (the original) has one opening near the middle.

3) I did remove all of the old compund and put on the new compound. But I did have some problems getting the heatsink really secure. So I'm thinking that is what is causing all this.

4) It was a message to get a start, maybe someone had a quick fix.

Collapse -
You never told the details. Some Athlons fry if the heatsink

In reply to: Well...

Isn't on proper in just a few seconds. The details in your post are absent so there is no where to start offering any good advice.

I read your posts twice and if the machine is fried then you need to replace the fried parts.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.