Computer Help forum

General discussion

What changed by adding external Samsung DVD drive?

by haze54 / April 24, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

I lucked out and found an unused Samsung SE-S164L external DVD-Rom at a neighborhood garage sale for 50 cents. The lady found the installation CD for me the next day. I had been using my daughter's LightScribe on her laptop when she was here, so I was excited by my cool find since now I can do my own LightScribe labels!

I have an eMachines D5039 that runs XP and is less than two years old. It came with Power2Go. I usually burn my audio CD's on my old PC that has Nero 5. It gives me more options than the free version of Power2Go.

Once I connected the external DVD-Rom and checked it I got rid of Power2Go since the new drive came with Nero (turned out to be Nero Express).

I just noticed this week that my older CD-RW discs that used to work fine on both PC's now are often not recognized by either drive on the newer PC (where the Samsung was added to).

I haven't noticed it doing it to any of the faster 700MB CD-RW's. The 4x 650MB ones are the ones that now cause trouble.

What I don't get is the DVD-RW drive on the PC handled them fine before I added the extra external burner. I don't think it has to do with any burning software, as I have tried two other free ones after removing Nero Express also.

I can also see how maybe the external one wouldn't recognize some older CD-RW, but why does the internal (original) one now not recognize them half of the time?

Maybe there is a simple answer (I hope). I followed the instructions for the external drive and updated everything I could.

Now I notice it doesn't show the title of the CD I put in either drive or show me the Windows little prompt window once it detects the CD (this was after I tried more things).

The internal DVD drive is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D. I tried Burrrn and InfraRecorder, but Burrrn mostly shows an error now if I put one of the older CD-RW's in. I'm thrilled to have the LightScribe feature, but why is my original drive now not acting the same?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What changed by adding external Samsung DVD drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What changed by adding external Samsung DVD drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's TRUE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 12:46 PM PDT

The concept/use of CD as a big floppy falls apart if you change software titles. Go back to what worked and your CDRW media should return.

Collapse -
I use those CD-RW's to check songs
by haze54 / April 24, 2008 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: That's TRUE!!!

I just use my CD-RW's mainly to backup and in the case of the three in question to listen to audio tracks to see if I hear flaws or don't like certain songs. These two (and now the 2nd 650MB one) I use many many times to check audio tracks. Even if I get the new drive to erase one of the older CD-RW's after that both usually don't recognize it.

So do you think it is the software or some settings have changed that I can try? I checked the Windows Media Player ones and that didn't make it start playing an audio CD automatically like it used to.

Collapse -
As Bob already told you ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 24, 2008 6:42 PM PDT

it is the software. You had power2go which, if memory serves, also installs "Instantburn" which is its packet writing software while Nero uses InCD for packet writing and the two are NOT COMPATIBLE

If you simply MUST use packet writing (so you can drag and drop files to the CD/DVD writer) at least use one that can be configured to make the disks compatible like SonicDLA and even that is not "fool proof".

You can burn files to a Re-writable media and finalize it just like WORM media to make the disk readable on almost all drives and re-use it simply by erasing it and using it again.

Collapse -
Ashampoo is an improvement so far
by haze54 / April 25, 2008 1:57 AM PDT

I tried Ashampoo Burning Studio in the wee hours and both drives so far are recognizing both CD-RW's. Hopefully that solves that problem and I like this program better than the previous three free ones I had tried. I let Ashampoo erase the CD's itself and then burn them. I let the others try to do that and had the problems that brought me here.

I wasn't previously trying to drag-and-drop on these CD's like big floppy disks, just burn audio files onto them by adding files in the software's 'add files' window. I gave up on InCD long ago and took it off my old PC and did not install it with Nero on here. It gave me too many problems. I was trying to emphasize in my response that I could erase the whole disc on my old PC and it still would not recognize them (the older 4X ones) in either drive on my newer PC.

Is it a part of Nero and/or Power2Go that allowed Windows Explorer to identify by name the CD's I burn (audio or data and the name)? I now still don't see the CD identified in Explorer and I liked it when it did that, but I can live without it. It just shows the drive now.

I know on my old PC when I installed Nero there were some initial issues to clear up. And I recall something had to do with allowing that function or not. Like whatever controls that can sometimes conflict with something and some suggestions included turning off that function.

I had gotten used to seeing the CD's 'identify themselves' in Explorer on both PC's. Is that an Autorun, AutoDetect or AutoPlay feature that is part of their software and not part of XP?

Collapse -
"is part of their software and not part of XP?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 2:14 AM PDT

That's a fairly deep question. I'm going to shortchange you a little here and write that XP's CDRW support is lacking. You will find the addon packages to add features such as DVDR/W support and more.

Let me address this -> "I let the others try to do that and had the problems that brought me here."

Not all softwares support all drives. Roxio has a web page with supported drives. You won't find this for all these softwares since there are now 10s of thousands of drives now.
Bob

Collapse -
Autorun was off, still having LightScribe problem
by haze54 / May 7, 2008 10:55 AM PDT

Well, I have had two more CD's with the blank ring problem. I downloaded the LightScribe Diagnostic Utility today and it only turned the autorun back on. I did save the detailed log and sent it to LightScribe.

Maybe they can figure out something from it. I am kind of hesitant to try any more CD's till I hear something. So Autorun was what was off and making my PC "act differently."

So that is solved, but now if I can get LightScribe to solve the excess inner ring problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?