Phones forum

General discussion

What Cell Phone for Former Palm PDA User?

by Sheherezade / February 2, 2009 12:05 AM PST

I know, I know, the Palm Pre is coming out. BUT, here is my dilemma, I have been using the Palm Calendar with great success and since I work with computers all day, I input most of my contacts, ToDos and Memos on the desktop software and then synch with my PDA. I would love to do this with a cell phone, but even the Pre is not using Palm OS. It would seem my only other option with some phones is to use Outlook, which I would prefer not to do and certainly NOT Outlook mail. What other desktop calendars are available to sync with all these new cell phones or did they forget about that? I want to sync my contacts, calendar, memos and todos with a desktop application. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Cell Phone for Former Palm PDA User?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Cell Phone for Former Palm PDA User?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you plan on getting a Palm Pre...
by Pepe7 / February 2, 2009 2:41 AM PST

...I'd first opt for getting a copy of your contacts online somewhere where they can be viewed/utilized from 'the cloud'. That's the gist of the Palm Pre vs what folks used to do syncing all the time. Anyway, I'm not aware yet of an app to import contacts from the old Palm OS ;(.
The palm.com user forums might be a good place to start asking that question. Luckily you certainly aren't limited to a Palm device, as there are some good alternatives with better apps to play with. Are you already tied via contract to a specific wireless service provider(?)

-Pedro

Collapse -
No Contract Currently
by Sheherezade / February 2, 2009 3:06 AM PST

Pedro:

I have no contract phone right now. I realize I am not limited to a Palm device, however, I have many old Palm apps and liked syncing with their calendar. That said, I have researched many other alternatives, however, I still have the same problem: What can I sync with on my PC desktop besides Outlook? I don't see any of these other phones providing a good app for the desktop that includes calendar, todo, etc.

Collapse -
So why not the other Palms?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 10:44 PM PST

I see the Centro is still there.

Collapse -
Centro
by Sheherezade / February 2, 2009 11:18 PM PST

Teeny tiny buttons on the Centro, man. And this chick's got fingernails to boot. Also, the screen is weee small compared to my Palm TX. When I tried it out in the Verizon store, it was a tad sluggish. I was all for the Centro when it came out, but then I actually used it. Booo Hooo.

Collapse -
ok
by Pepe7 / February 2, 2009 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Centro

I wouldn't bother with the Centro either, but not because my nails are long <vbg>. You do take a hit real estate wise, which I think is silly, as you are upgrading your device and not downgrading. They are easily as sluggish as my WM device out of the box and I'm not aware of tweaks as such to remedy that. Plus, ther is no 3G Palm Centro that I am aware of, so right away that limits you to Verizon's CDMA/EV-DO.

You could however use Outlook as a go-between simply to get your contacts into a format that could then be exported to another device. The advantage of using Outlook is that it is very widely used and accepted as an app which people need to work with on a regular basis. I did read the following user experience (with detailed steps) on how the migration was made editing .csv files and upgrading to a T-Mobile G1-

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f7/palm-contacts-google-1516/

Another issue you want to keep in mind besides moving over your contacts is wireless coverage. Which providers have reliable coverage where you use the service the most(?) I'd avoid upgrading to a sexy new PDA unless you make certain the coverage is there first, as having a thousand contacts who now cannot be called is a real bummer(!)

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?