Linux forum

General discussion

What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?

by fivoranger / November 6, 2003 12:19 AM PST

Was it the 2.4 Kernel? ext2 or a combo of both?

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it is.

Is it safe to say a 2.4.x kernel box with ext3 is exempt from the 2gig file size limitation?

Thanks
Malcolm
PS - I prefered the old board Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?
by fivoranger / November 6, 2003 12:22 AM PST

EDIT: I meant to say was it the 2.2 kernel (not the 2.4) that caused the limitation and then the 2.4 kernel addressed it? Or was it a limitation of ext2 as well?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 12:39 AM PST

The infamous unix 2Gig file size limit 2^31 = 2147483648 = 2GIG = a 32bit address structure, or in laymans terms a PC. Well, a 32-bit PC. Oh, and EXT2!

You can read about this all over the place and can upgrade your FS, Distro or like me, consider going 64-bit? I have plans in 2005 for one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?
by fivoranger / November 6, 2003 1:14 AM PST

Well most of our servers and customer's servers are on a 2.4 kernel and ext3 but searching through google.com that does not seem to be enough. I've found posts where people claim 2.4 kernel and ext3 and the 2gig limit.

I've done some testing here on some regular 32 bit i386 type boxes with 2.4 kernel and ext3 and seem to have no problem exceeding 2gig files.

Since I need to help our customer's with these issues I'm wondering what exactly is the breaking point? Is it a certain kernel version and up? or does any 2.4 kernel and ext3 ensure they're OK?

Collapse -
ext2 or ext3? It makes a difference.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 2:54 AM PST

There was some ftp client that had an issue as well.

AFAIK, and from what I read in google groups, it's all in the ext2 limits. Now pretty old and gone.

You do ask "does any 2.4 kernel and ext3 ensure they're OK?" which can't be answered since people build their own in such odd ways and you could always find some program that has an issue.

You'll have to test.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:ext2 or ext3? It makes a difference.
by fivoranger / November 6, 2003 3:36 AM PST

Of course people could always do something odd and mess up a setup to where something somewhere doesn't work but you're still not answering my question.

At what point was the 2 gig file size limitation over come? Was it a certain kernel version or simply switching from ext2 to ext3 or a combination of the two?

Collapse -
I'm not a historian.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 4:05 AM PST

I know the ext2 issue and the old ftp client gaffe, but you can read http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/index.html#toc and see that it was put into about RedHat 7.2 and I leave it to you do decipher what kernal that was.

Can you reveal what's behind all this?

Another poster had some creaky old IBM server that had ESDI drives, EISA slots and frankly no support from much more than RH 6.2 or older. Sometimes you end up off the support map.

Bob

Collapse -
I know that.
by fivoranger / November 6, 2003 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not a historian.

I know you're not a historian, I was just pointing out how you're answering everything but my question. If you don't know the answer that's fine.

Collapse -
Date and kernal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 4:17 AM PST

Date: Oct 3, 2001
Kernel: 2.0.40pre2

Is one answer I see EXT3 compiled in. It's not uncommon for people to not use such until it's been worn out by the rest of us.

I just let it choose the ReiserFS and can't seem to find any real reason to diddle with that.

Can you share why pick one over the other?

Bob

Collapse -
kernel ext2
by soleilamor / November 26, 2006 3:10 AM PST

I have used the 2.4 kernel with 5G partitions and one of the partitions is ext2 4.9G I would presume it is the 2.2 kernel that is limited as it has been a long time since I used it, probably had limited hard drive space then so would of been <= 2G

Collapse -
No, the discussion is about file size , not partition size.
by ahtoi / November 26, 2006 4:51 PM PST
In reply to: kernel ext2

You usually get large file size when we are working with video.

Collapse -
My answer to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 10:12 AM PST

"What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?

Was it the 2.4 Kernel? ext2 or a combo of both?"

It's not the 2.4 kernel since ext3 which removed the limit showed in 2001 in a 2.0.4 kernel.

"Is it safe to say a 2.4.x kernel box with ext3 is exempt from the 2gig file size limitation?"

And it's NOT safe to say the 2.4.x kernal box is exempt from problems since applications can have issues. My prime example is some old ftp client.

Is this a sufficient answer for you?

Bob

PS. The old board had better features. This one is new and needs items being discussed in Forum Feedback.

Collapse -
Re:What causes the 2Gig file size limitation in Linux?
by C1ay / November 8, 2003 1:56 AM PST
Is it safe to say a 2.4.x kernel box with ext3 is exempt from the 2gig file size limitation?

No. Ext3 is only ext2 with journaling capability. The real limitation is by the way your kernel and utilities are compiled and the libraries you are using. If you compile the kernel with LFS and all of your utilities using the latest libraries you will be OK to about 1TB.

Clay

--

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world
-- Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Collapse -
2Gig file size
by janegao / October 22, 2006 5:08 PM PDT

utilities mean ?

thanks

Collapse -
What computer are you using?
by chuckieu / November 11, 2006 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: 2Gig file size

Even when I was still using 2.4 Kernel with Ext3, I heard of, but never saw the 2G cap. 2.6 Kernel has been out so long most of us don't remember when this was an issue. Why are you so insistent on knowing. what are your factors that make it an issue. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.