Computer Help forum

General discussion

What causes remnants of previous programs on my desktop?

by Eyebog / April 14, 2008 1:06 AM PDT

I always encounter remnants of previous programs to stagnate in the desktop. Especially when I'm doing multi-tasking; after closing one program, a shadow of the previous program is still in my desktop. In order to remove this is,I reset again the display properties and that makes again the screen of my desktop clean. I try to maximize the LCD monitor's screen resolution to 1680 x 1050. Tried several times to use the 1024 x 768 but the same problem occurs.
I am using Gigabyte motherboard S series,Windows XP, Intel P4 Hyperthreading 3Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD2600 XT video card, 2 hard drives - 1-160GB, 1-250GB, AOC 22" LCD monitor.
I am puzzled with this problem, can somebody please help me. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What causes remnants of previous programs on my desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What causes remnants of previous programs on my desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What causes remnants of previous programs on my desktop?
by famulla / May 2, 2008 11:49 AM PDT

There are some downloads that we are not sure of I mean the source is not known. I had the similar VGA graphics board problem. I had to go back to find out what I has downloaded recently. It was a free antivirus. I removed this. The problem stayed on. The best way to go back to the XP graphic was to reload or repair the XP. It worked. Try this. Remove the unwanted software we hardly use. These give problems to the memory dump and hence the graphics
Use the XP system disk cleaner and not any external. Try also to defrag disk once a month.
I thank you
Firozali A. Mulla MBA PhD
P.O.Box 6044
Dar-Es-Salaam
Tanzania
East Africa

Collapse -
Try defragging more often.
by Dango517 / May 3, 2008 2:56 AM PDT

We do a defrag whenever anyone logs off the computer (we have three users. Yep, that might mean three times a day). This keeps the system running in top shape and takes very little time (five minutes) when done frequently, that's provided you haven't a lot of junk in your PC. If you do, run it at the end of the day. Last user must....rule.

We use this:

http://www.download.com/SmartDefrag-Beta/3000-2094_4-10759533.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10832706

BTW, if you don't agree..."who cares". Grin

If this doesn't work consider a new graphics card.

This thread is untracked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.