Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What causes pictures to disappear?

by wsh / January 27, 2004 9:57 AM PST

Sometimes emails come thru with a little white box with a red x inside it. Example, I copied a picture I'd received into a new message. When I looked at my message tonite, the picture disappeared and there's this little box instead. Any ideas why? wsh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What causes pictures to disappear?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What causes pictures to disappear?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What causes pictures to disappear?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2004 11:47 AM PST

Wsh,

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. We need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, plus anything else you think might help. In your case, we need to know the e-mail program that you're using. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be. Enough of that, back to your question.

Check this setting.

While in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools' in the upper left, choose 'Internet Options'. When that loads, click on the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to the "Multimedia" section and make sure to CHECK the box next to "Show Pictures" and UNCHECK the box next to "Show image download place holders".

Hope this helps and let us know what programs you're using.

Grif

Collapse -
Wsh, Another Setting To Check...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2004 11:56 AM PST

If you're using Outlook Express:

Open Outlook Express, click on "Tools" in the upper left, click on the "Send" tab, then click on the "HTML Settings" button in the "Mail Sending Format" section. When that loads, make sure that the "Send pictures with messages" is checked.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Wsh, Another Setting To Check...
by wsh / January 28, 2004 9:15 AM PST

My explorer settings were as you described but I did change the Outlook Express setting. Thank you. And I'll try to remember to give more info in the future.

Collapse -
Wsh, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 10:32 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:What causes pictures to disappear?
by Bajan / April 26, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

Being a newbie I too need some help with this problem. I have WINXP, IE6, 256 RAM and use Incredimail. I had a look in my advanced settings and have the boxes checked for "show pictures" and unchecked for "placeholders" but the problem still remains. Could it be Incredimail?? This happens not only with viewing email but also on websites. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Re:Re:What causes pictures to disappear?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

Bajan,

Have you tried clicking "refresh" in Internet Explorer when the sites don't load on the internet? Does that allow them to appear?

Have you checked the items in the link below?:

Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

Have you checked your Incredimail to make sure that the settings allow for ActiveX controls, etc.?

Have you installed the most current version of Sun's Java for the link below?. (After clicking on the link below choose the "J2SE v 1.4.2_04 JRE includes the JVM technology" download for Windows, then follow the prompts to download the "Offline Installer for Windows".:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:What causes pictures to disappear?
by Bajan / April 27, 2004 9:29 PM PDT

Thanks Grif - you're a legend. Active X was the problem. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Bajan, Good Job !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2004 1:47 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.