Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

what causes loss of passwords an dother things

by Lisa / October 24, 2005 12:16 PM PDT

i have noticed the past few days that most of the websites that i have chose to remember my password and user name dont.... plus sometimes i have to hold teh power button onmy tower in until the comp shuts down- the fan doesnt always kick off after i choose shut down.... could my battery be going bad???? are they expensive? any thoughts- i run avg free and adaware daily. plus run ZA all the time... win 98se... thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what causes loss of passwords an dother things
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what causes loss of passwords an dother things
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: remembering passwords
by Kees Bakker / October 24, 2005 6:29 PM PDT

Lisa,

Passwords:
Maybe you did clean your cookies? Some are stored there. And have a look in Tools>Internet Options>Contents to see if "userid's and passwords" is checked.

Shutdown:
Always difficult to diagnose such an incomplete shutdown. See if the information in http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm sets you on the right track.
But it might be that you've got to be content with how things are now. I don't thinks it's a battery anyway.

Kees

Collapse -
thank you
by Lisa / October 24, 2005 11:36 PM PDT

i will check into the info. the computer was bought in 99 so i thought maybe the battery was getting low- the comp runs all day long.

Collapse -
careful about cleaning...
by reefurbb / October 24, 2005 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you

delete "critical objects" only. The rest of "negligible risks" and "low level threats" clear your history of passwords-etc.
"runs all day". Usually, the Hdd shuts down after some time, as determined in control panel-power management. Mine is like that. If Hdd shuts down, even tho it fires back up, W98SE doesn't like it and will mess up proper shutdown. Set "hdd power down" at 2 hours, and then reboot right before 2 hrs of non-use. Mainly, don't let it run without use. The inconvenience of reboot outweighs the inconvenience of a progressively messed up OS.
The reason you have to hold in power button is that you have a ATX machine that requires 4 sec. of hold down to fully shut off.
Note: DOS scandisk at next boot "improper shutdown" is not as extensive as Windows Scandisk, which will often find "lost file fragments".

Collapse -
You're battery in computer is basically for the clock!!
by Earth911 / October 27, 2005 9:46 AM PDT

Yahoo mail is good about not remembering the user name and password.life on machine is fun.You're cmputer may need to be check by techiction,we will be guessing. Alot of computer shops will let you know if you have a major problem or not and will give an estimste a price. I use Spybot and Adaware once and delete form my machine.Both programs tend to screw up my system after awhile.Take machine to shop.Variables ae to many,we'll be guessing.

Collapse -
your battery in computer is basically for CMOS...
by reefurbb / October 28, 2005 12:05 AM PDT

Complimentary Metal Oxide...It's the BIOS chip, Award-Phoenix-others, that is programmable and stores your "setup" or BIOS info as long as the battery is up.
Passwords, clock, advanced settings, and more. Taking battery out makes CMOS or BIOS go to default, changing back any changes you have made, including current clock setting.
I've used Spybot-Adaware-Spysweeper for 2 years and have no problems But I also use Norton Utilities 2002-WinDoctor. I've seen up to 500 errors found and fixed. I consider it essential to keeping a W98SE PC running well.

Collapse -
My 7 year old puter never had to replace battery
by Earth911 / November 1, 2005 2:22 AM PST

One little battery does so much

Collapse -
Lithium CR2032...
by reefurbb / November 2, 2005 7:36 AM PST

is the standard but there are others. Usual battery life is about 5-8years, but some mobo's have a little 3v charging circuit that refreshes the battery with use, although rare, and adds about 2yrs to life.
It doesn't matter because battery replacement is cheap and easy, comparatively, and eliminates a trouble possibility.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.