Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What causes Hanging Apps in Win XP??

by datalookup / September 4, 2005 10:34 AM PDT

I did a clean install of Xp Home edition with SP2 and current updates and applications. There were no problems until I went to use the DVD playback feature in Nero Suite (Nero Showtime) the program had sound only, no video and after a few minutes it froze. The event log said ''Win XP error hanging App''. Why is this happening?? Is it another one of those Unknown error things with windows Xp? Any advice is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What causes Hanging Apps in Win XP??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What causes Hanging Apps in Win XP??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try another DVD player....
by Michael Geist / September 4, 2005 11:13 AM PDT

perhaps Windows Media Player. You may have a funky DVD.

Collapse -
Hanging apps...
by Papa Echo / September 4, 2005 2:05 PM PDT

Some reasons:

#RAM.(if not enough, add)
#Drivers.(have to reinstall after clean install of OS)
#Viruses and Parasites.(clean up, get protection)
#Page File/Virtual Memory management.(let the system manage it)
#Corrupted program files.(reinstall the program)
# Computer specs not compatible to program.

What are your PC specs ?

Collapse -
Similar
by Paul Roantree / September 4, 2005 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Hanging apps...

I have just posted (Storage Drive Problem) and I wonder what error code your levent log comes up with. Some are are dealt with in the M/s Knowledge Base.

Collapse -
Did it work B-4? Have a look at this.......
by tobeach / September 4, 2005 3:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hanging Apps
by datalookup / September 5, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

System specs
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67 CPU
768 MB DDR Ram
5400 Seagate HDD
onboard Via tech sound card
SIS onboard video
Reaktek Ethernet adapter 100Mbps
new Sony dual layer/double layer DVD RW drive
Apps installed:
Nero 6 Suite
DJ Mixing software E-Jay version 3 home studio
Audio Cleaning Lab 2005 digital mastering software
Adaware SE personal version
Win XP SP2
All current updates (software)Windows update
Avast home edition antivirus 4.6 w\updates

Collapse -
Two things..............
by chuckieu / September 5, 2005 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hanging Apps

Make sure you have the latest Nero update (6.6.0.16). It solved a lot of the XP related issues.
Use the movie viewer that came with your deck (Power DVD?) and install it on the deck that has sound connected and will be used for playing DVDs. If you have a separate burner, install the burning software (nero) on it. I have had issues when installed on DVD rom. Don't know why, it
didn't happen when using same deck for both. Good luck.
chuck

Collapse -
Using Nero Express with SP2
by datalookup / September 30, 2005 2:25 PM PDT

I have nero version 5.0 installed with xp pro and SP2, no problems yet.....

Collapse -
codecs
by Gaunt911 / September 5, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

also consider hitting your system with various codecs. re: has sound, but no video.

xvid
divx
(VLC Media Player)

the Nero to latest patch and driver updates make a lot of sense.

(in IE click on Tools, at the bottom, link to windowsupdate website)

"bad DVD player" or insufficient system resources are bunk comments don't listen to those guys..

Collapse -
Thanks for the Replies
by datalookup / September 30, 2005 2:33 PM PDT

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I did a clean install, OS, programs and SP2, no problems this time around. Windows XP home is quite a headache at times.
I've been advised to upgrade to XP Pro, much more stability than Home Edition........ and the Windows story continues....introducing Vista(Longhorn)....... this one remains to be seen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?