Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What can they be thinking ?

by Mac McMullen / February 18, 2008 12:26 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What can they be thinking ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What can they be thinking ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The only surprise is...
by EdH / February 18, 2008 7:24 PM PST

that they aren't hiding their true allegiance, as they usually do.

Collapse -
It's all a plot, you know
by Josh K / February 18, 2008 11:31 PM PST

Elect Obama, overthrow the government, then establish a Communist dictatorship. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I bet if someone looked for it, they could find a few Republican volunteer groups that have some rather distasteful items on their walls as well.

Collapse -
Sure...
by EdH / February 18, 2008 11:36 PM PST

got any evidence? They were busted. End of story.

Collapse -
I love plots.
by Desperado JC / February 18, 2008 11:45 PM PST

Where can I get more information on this? It might make a very good video.

Collapse -
Start with the theme song Romney picked!
by Dan McC / February 19, 2008 2:06 AM PST

I like Elvis OK, but this is not the message a candidate should be embracing.

On the other hand, how much weight do we want to give to what some knucklehead hangs on a wall the first day a campaign office is open? I'd say as little weight as is possible on a planet with a gravitational field.

Dan

Collapse -
Romney?
by EdH / February 19, 2008 3:14 AM PST

You're a little out of date.

You don't think it's telling that left-wing nut cases who admire Che are running that little slice of the Obama dream machine? Get real. It ain't no accident.

Collapse -
It sounds like it's not a slice of anything.
by Dan McC / February 19, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Romney?

I've forgotten where I read that it was not a part of the Obama organization in any way.

Keep trying, though.

Dan

Collapse -
Plausible deniability is the name of the game.
by EdH / February 19, 2008 6:11 AM PST

From W-H's link:

Mar

Collapse -
could find a few in here josh
by jimandjerry / February 19, 2008 3:41 AM PST

some think the leader of Venezuela is our friend

Collapse -
If by "they" you mean Barack's campaign workers
by dirtyrich / February 18, 2008 7:50 PM PST

they think that the US is full of suckers who are willing to hand over their highest elected position to a man simply for the sake of "change."

If by Barack voters, well, there are multiple reasons, but I can definitely say that there is a large chunk (if not the largest) who look forward to the novelty of having a minority President.

Collapse -
Referring more to...
by EdH / February 18, 2008 7:56 PM PST

the ultra-left whack jobs who seem to make up a large part of that particular Party. The "activists", as Barack sometimes describes himself.

Not only HIS campaign.

Collapse -
Thanks. I just put together an expose on that and...
by James Denison / February 18, 2008 8:05 PM PST

...sent it to everyone on my mailing list! Most of them will pass it on to others and maybe those will pass it on too. Everyone should send that link and a screen capture of that part of the video to those on their mailing list and let them know the Obama campaign is using communist supporters for their campaign workers. If anyone needs a screen capture, here's one you can use. Don't use the link to the image in your email, instead download it and then paste into the email so it's contained in the document. The word on this needs to travel fast and far.

Collapse -
Thanks for the heads up. I'm neutral, of course, but
by drpruner / February 18, 2008 9:02 PM PST

when it comes to a having a picture of a guy who once posed in a Bart Simpson T-shirt, well, it's time to wake up and smell the cigar smoke, America. And you, too, Vanessa.

Just jumping in w/my usual humor before this gets locked.

Collapse -
never too late to jump on any train you like
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 9:16 PM PST

this one is boarding remember to adjust your spam filters to allow what you want

has not hit snopes yet:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

"Ed Morrissey of "Captain's Quarters" is floating a trial balloon for a new smear of Barack Obama.

Oh, my. Barack Obama may want to call his new Houston office and suggest some decorating ideas. Take a look at the flag flying in the office at the moment:

Does Obama know his Houston supporters honor a terrorist (Che Guevara) in his campaign office? I'm sure he doesn't. However, it would behoove him to ensure that the flag gets taken down and that he renounces any affinity for Che and the Fidel Castro regime.

I've included my own screen grab from Fox 26 Houston, complete with the caption that explains that the office in question is funded and staffed by volunteers, and is not an official headquarters. I do this not to show any distance between Obama and that flag, which is a separate issue, but to illustrate the dishonesty of the attack. Captain Ed went to some trouble to omit that fact.

I expect that this "issue" will come up in the next round of smear-mail against Obama, likely modified to include specious details about his refusal to salute the U.S. flag, and participation in blood sacrifices to Che. Since Barack's support generally doesn't come from people who get their news from chain e-mails, I don't think he has anything to worry about. Brief analysis after the jump.

It seems unlikely, despite Captain Ed's fondest wishes, that Barack Obama will end up commenting on this, beyond saying that his supporters are free to hold diverse views that may or may not reflect his own. I doubt even a man of Barack's oratory skill would attempt to boil Che Guevara down to a sound bite.

This tactic is employed, to varying degrees, by "mainstream" journalists, too, who have used comments by campaign surrogates and outliers to ignite several controversies already in this campaign. It's another tool in the political newsmedia's arsenal of hyping thin stories while avoiding substantive analysis.

What is interesting about this, though, is the superficial comparison it draws. Whatever your feelings about him, Che Guevara has become the "Nike Swoop" of revolutionary change, the "Classic Coke" of fighting the power. Without embracing Che, Obama might actually benefit from the juxtaposition, as he positions himself as the challenge to Hillary Clinton's status quo. Couldn't you just see these t-shirts?"

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/02/12/barack-obama-supporters-wave-cuban-che-guevara-flag/

"Oh, my. Barack Obama may want to call his new Houston office and suggest some decorating ideas. Take a look at the flag flying in the office at the moment:

obama-houston.jpg

No, that's not a Texas state flag with a picture of Obama on it. It's the flag of the Castro-led Cuba regime, with Che Guevara's face superimposed on the side. A Fox report from Houston captured this image as it showed Obama supporters celebrating his momentum after Super Tuesday.

Does Obama know his Houston supporters honor a terrorist in his campaign office? I'm sure he doesn't. However, it would behoove him to ensure that the flag gets taken down and that he renounces any affinity for Che and the Fidel Castro regime. (via Jim Geraghty)

UPDATE: John Cole doesn't see anything wrong with a presidential campaign office featuring a Cuban flag with a picture of Che Guevara? Along with the ubiquitous personal insult towards anyone with whom he disagrees, John tries to cast it as a courageous statement that our policy towards Cuba needs to be rethought. And he calls me a flack?

I can remember when Balloon Juice was readable. Now they just revel in their bitterness. Too bad."

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/016946.php

this ship has sailed into its' safe harbors

http://www.google.com/search?q=obama+che+video&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-17,GGGL:en

Collapse -
something that has not been pushed
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 9:30 PM PST

to the top of that google search. the google is such a pushupper

who knows what lies beyond page 10:

"Obama camp distances itself from Che flag"

http://www.miamiherald.com/campaign08/story/421834.html

more to come on something (flapping flag flap re: obama) this unimportant to the state of our nation....hey it's only february

Collapse -
Oops! They were caught!
by EdH / February 18, 2008 9:41 PM PST

But it WAS there. It goes to the attitudes and inclinations of some of his supporters.

Not a smear when it's true.

Turn it around. If a George Bush office had a Hitler portrait on the wall, it would be a major scandal that we'd never hear the end of.

Collapse -
hmmmoooppsslololol
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 9:59 PM PST

does the saying: "whatever blows your skirt up" apply?

that in the same vein as: "whatever floats your boat"

"all the news that's fit to print"

"we report, you decide"

do you believe bush has a hitler portrait in the WH? that would have been reported by now, don't ya' think.

it is a smear when it is irrelevant, just an example of 'wing trash' for the flock. only the totally uninformed would not realize it is required reading for political supplicants.

that is equally shared by the: (LLD) moonbats and (RRC) noonbats.

no nobel prize for politicians as far as I remember

BTW: where is the report that obama put it up, required it to be put up, or knew it existed in that unofficial office. you have to wonder what flags hang in many rabid pundit's offices, to be fair.

Collapse -
Stop distorting please.
by EdH / February 18, 2008 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: hmmmoooppsslololol
do you believe bush has a hitler portrait in the WH?

No. You know exactly what I meant. HONESTY, remember?

Oops! You forgot.

BTW: where is the report that obama put it up, required it to be put up, or knew it existed in that unofficial office. you have to wonder what flags hang in many rabid pundit's offices, to be fair.

Never said or implied that he did. I specifically said supporters.

To be fair.
Collapse -
you forgot to mention
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 10:47 PM PST

to the one that agrees with you that che was not a dictator. "confusion will be my epitaph" might go well with his thoughts.

"here we go again" (reagan quote)

what does george bush having a portrait of hitler have to do with obama.

choose your examples more carefully. it sounded like a noonbat hyperbolic linkage soundbite.

I never said you said anything but his "supporters". why bring that up.

it is a question I would ask if someone said huckabee had a 'stars & bars' (save you the search: confederate) flag in one of his campaign offices.

you continue to confuse discussion with personal attacks. I am surprised there are any posts left in SE*.

* speakeasy

Collapse -
Wrong again
by EdH / February 18, 2008 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: you forgot to mention
you continue to confuse discussion with personal attacks.

Nope. Never have; never will. I do know distortion when I see it.

My example was right on. I could have said Goebbels, but Hitler is more easily comprehended. I don't need any help composing my thoughts.
Collapse -
whatever
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Wrong again

blows your skirt up". (I heard that one from a union 'grip', it has moved near the top of the list because of its' asexuality)

your thoughts on this issue are all well and good for you. you continue to avoid the question I posed (bonus points if you thought it was rhetorical because it lacked a ? (question mark):

"BTW: where is the report that obama put it up, required it to be put up, or knew it existed in that unofficial office. you have to wonder what flags hang in many rabid pundit's offices, to be fair."

without that answer it has no merit...simply political hackery

Collapse -
I did answer it...
by EdH / February 18, 2008 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: whatever

Here it is again:

Never said or implied that he did. I specifically said supporters.

Collapse -
that is not the answer
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: I did answer it...

the answer do that question is not satisfied unless you specify that obama had no knowledge, etc.

without that you have not exonerated him. your answer does not do that. we all know it was his supporters. that is not what this story is about: trying to link obams to che.

dirty tricks is one description of this tactic. campaigns on all sides do it, deny it, shocked by it, are above it but they all love it when it works.

there is an 'stars & stripes' (USA) flag in my yard. yet I have not been accused of being a USA sympathizer but dictator supporter. some minds are very weak; I am sure you are aware of that.

whatever pokes your pig

Collapse -
It is the answer.
by EdH / February 19, 2008 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: that is not the answer

Your question is of the "when did you stop beating your wife?" sort. I'm sorry if you don't like the answer, but I did indeed answer it in spite of your false claim that I didn't.

If YOU think the story is trying to link Obama to Che, that is your lookout. I have not done that. As far as I know, no one has done that except YOU.

Bye now.

Collapse -
now you are associating
by WOODS-HICK / February 19, 2008 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: It is the answer.

obama or me with spousal abuse? "hitler", "bush", "goebbels" and now "wife-beating". I am just a passenger on your train of logic. is it time to check the brakes?

well then what is the reason for the story?

skip the che/cuban flag in obama campaign supporters office part. go right to the beef.

I was raised to be polite....so goodbye to you also.

Collapse -
No need to search...
by J. Vega / February 19, 2008 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: you forgot to mention

No need to search. Isn't the "stars and bars" a flag with 7 white stars in a circle on blue field and 3 horizontal stripes, two red ones with a white one in the middle?

Collapse -
I did it to help someone maybe
by WOODS-HICK / February 19, 2008 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: No need to search...

from another country, etc. not everyone here is from the confederacy.

but you left this out:

http://www.usflag.org/history/images/starsbars.gif

"The First Official Flag of the Confederacy. Although less well known than the "Confederate Battle Flags",the Stars and Bars was used as the official flag of the Confederacy from March 1861 to May of 1863. The pattern and colors of this flag did not distinguish it sharply fom the Stars and Stripes of the Union. Consequently, considerable confusion was caused on the battlefield.

The seven stars represent the original Confederate States; South Carolina (December 20, 1860), Mississippi(January 9, 1861), Florida (January 10,1861), Alabama (January 11, 1861), Georgia (January 19, 1861), Louisiana (January 26, 1861), and Texas (February 1, 1861). "

Collapse -
see
by WOODS-HICK / February 18, 2008 11:13 PM PST

this member thought either bush was a candidate or you were generalizing, re: not a specific person.

"As somebody else observed, if a Republican candidate's supporters had a poster of a Nazi on the wall it would have created a media firestorm no matter whether or not there was an official connection to the campaign."

that was from: Was the disclaimer there to begin with?
by Bill Osler - 2/19/08 6:06 AM
in this thread.

"George Bush office" meant somewhere in the WH to me because he has been the president since 2001. why think anywhere else after 7.5 +/- years? my clocks only point into the future.

Collapse -
Are you a mind reader?
by EdH / February 18, 2008 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: see

Nothing in the Doc's post indicates that he was in any way confused about what I wrote or that he thought I was saying Bush was a candidate.

I'm not a mind reader myself, so I can't definitively say that you knew that all along.

Enough.

Collapse -
no
by WOODS-HICK / February 19, 2008 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Are you a mind reader?

but if you see 'bush' in his reply, let me know.

otherwise it might be called, oh what's those words, mind....

help me out here...because if you know whether one is or is not would make you an expert.

BTW: "that he was in any way confused about what I wrote or that he thought I was saying Bush was a candidate." by EdH - 2/19/08 7:35 AM

you thought he was confused? I never said that. I said "either/or" because he was not specific.

clarity

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!