Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What can I safely remove from registry

by ladyeyye4 / July 8, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

When I go to run and type regedit, and click the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER and then Software, I noticed that programs i deleted such as Kazaa are still there. Is it safe to delete these items? Where else in the registry will I find deleted programs that have not been cleared from the registry and can I delete them?
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What can I safely remove from registry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What can I safely remove from registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What can I safely remove from registry (nothing!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 12:34 AM PDT

If I take it as we must be 100% safe, then nothing is safe.

BUT if you want to dump Kazaa, then use this -> Kazaabegone from http://www.spychecker.com/program/kazaagone.html or other sites.

As to other programs and deleting them, beginners shouldn't do this manually and those who know, don't ask very often. This is, in no way meant to slight or upset you, but it's the awful truth. I write it bluntly since the trouble I've seen with people getting into the registry "to clean things up" is rather horrible to see what happens to many.

Bob

Collapse -
''If you're brave enough''
by Cursorcowboy / July 8, 2004 2:00 AM PDT
Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry (Q256986) - all MS operating system versions

1. The Registry Editor is an advanced tool for viewing and changing settings in the system registry. Windows stores configuration information in a database (the registry) organized in a tree format. Although the Registry Editor enables inspection and modifying, it is normally not necessary.

Note: The two most important things to know are that the system registry copies changes immediately and there is no Undo command. The editor does not wait for a Save to be issued since it does not have one, therefore making changes permanent as they happen -- you make a change it's gone forever unless you remember it or have already backed up a copy. Use the editor sparingly and soberly, and do not leave it open unnecessarily.

2. The article [Q318159] explains that when a registry hive becomes damaged, your computer may become unbootable, and you may receive one of the following Stop error messages on a blue screen. Damage often occurs when programs with access to the registry do not cleanly remove temporary items that they store in the registry. This problem may also be caused if a program is terminated or experiences a user-mode fault -- one created by the user:

Unexpected Shutdown
Stop:0xc0000135

3. The article [Q307545] describes how to recover a Windows XP system that does not start because of corruption in the registry and assumes that normal recovery methods have failed and access to the system is not available except by using Recovery Console. If an Automatic System Recovery (ASR) backup exists, it is the preferred method for recovery and it is recommended that you use the ASR backup before utilizing this procedure. This procedure does not guarantee full recovery of the system to a previous state; however, you should be able to recover data when used.

4. Please note that on occasion it may be come necessary to utilize the older Regedit32, run the same as Regedit, when access issues a denial permissions.

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "Prevent Regedit.exe from Using the Last State (Q244004)."

b. "The Registry Keys and Values for the System Restore Utility (Q295659)" describes certain keys pertaining to System Restore which must not be edited under any circumstances.

c. "HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP (Q322756)."

6. Five "Administrative Templates ship with Windows XP SP1" which includes more than 600 settings with over 100 new settings, and must be manually configured in the Computer Configuration in the Group Policy Object Editor to apply them.

7. The "Prevent access to registry editing tools (Q831787)" setting disables the Windows registry editors Regedit.exe and Regedit32.exe. Enabling this setting causes a message to appear when the user tries to start a registry editor, informing him or her that s/he cannot use them. This setting prevents users or intruders from accessing the registry using these tools, but does not prevent access to the registry itself.

8 "HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in Windows XP (Q307882)."
Collapse -
Re: What can I safely remove from registry
by Actmeister / July 24, 2004 1:28 PM PDT

Hi!

Very few programs do a good job of removing their tracks from the registry. Before you start MAKE A BACKUP. In regedit you do this by being in what you want to back up then selecting File/Export. Pick a name and directory for the backup and save it. Now, if you mess up you can import the orignial registry back in.

I personally found over 200 registry entries left behind just by AOL, which came with my computer. I suggest you go to edit/find and type in Kaaza then click find. Highlight My computer first, so it will search everything. You can safely delete any key that does not refer to another program you still have. After your first find command you can keep finding the same thing by clicking F3.

In some cases the key will be highlighted and in others text within the key. Make sure you delete the KEY by highlighting the folder that is open in the left window. If the key is a sub-key you will usually want to delete the full key including all sub keys. Be careful with this! Kazaa may apear only in a naming key like "cur ver" but that provides the name for the entire key. This is most likely to happen if the key title is a hex address (numbers and letters contained in {} type brackets.)

If in doubt you can be conservative and leave it. If you enjoy experimenting, then go for it! Just make sure you have a good back up!

Good luck and enjoy!

Collapse -
Re: What can I safely remove from registry
by electric / July 30, 2004 9:27 AM PDT

registry mechanic (do a google search) removes the crap that does not get removed when you remove programs. DON'T mess with your registry if you don't know what you are doing, you could turn your pc into a paper weight.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?