How To forum

Question

What can I do to speed up my pc to make it run faster?

by ohflanyca / June 22, 2011 4:31 AM PDT

I've got a nearly 10 year old Dell desktop, running Windows XP, with a Pentium 4, 1.80Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM. It's always been quite reliable, but lately it's been slow as all "you know what," and frequently telling me that it's running low on virtual memory. I've already tried deleting various types of files that I hardly ever/never use, and I've also uninstalled unused programs, etc. I know I probably need to upgrade some of my hardware, but I'm not sure which part. Do I need to add more memory, or a newer/faster processor? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What can I do to speed up my pc to make it run faster?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What can I do to speed up my pc to make it run faster?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
1GB ram is usually more than enough for XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 4:34 AM PDT

But I find old hard drives can be quite slow compared to today's HDDs. So no to the memory and the CPU is hard to find if it's the common 1.8GHz unit I know of.

What's stopping you from reloading the OS fresh?

Also read 7723-6122_102-510824.html to see what we found.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
More often than not, more RAM
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 4:42 AM PDT

If the error message you are getting is about low virtual memory then deleting files won't make any difference because those files are stored on the hard disk, not in the memory.

However some users get confused about low disk space errors and low memory errors, so can you tell us what size hard disk you have and how much is used, how much is free.

If the error is about virtual memory, then a quick fix is to let the OS, (Operating System), manage the Page File, (which is what virtual memory is also called). That can be done in Control Panel > System > Advanced tab, then the "Settings" button for Performance, then the Advanced tab in the new window.

Under Virtual memory, click the Change button, then select the "Automatically manage paging file" option.

Additional RAM always is a good performance booster and if you head over to Crucial.com and let the web site scan your system, it will identify your RAM and let you know whether you can increase it, and if so, with what.

Other than that, to keep a system working well, keep it clean of malware, and make sure there are not too many unwanted Startup files and Processes running.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?