General discussion

what can hdmi do? (idiot's guide to)

A few weeks ago I got a sony blu-ray player and plugged it into my sony tv via hdmi. I was surprised and delighted to discover that now, when I turn on my dvd player, my tv goes on automatically and the input is set to hdmi. Conversely, when I turn my tv off, the dvd player is turned off. That's pretty neat, and it sure makes programming my remote easier. I've been considering purchasing a receiver in order to get hdmi there as well, but I do not know if similar advantages would apply. If my receiver had hdmi, could (and would) hdmi mean that turning on the dvd player turn on the receiver and change the input if necessary? And how much is dependent on the components being the same brand? (That's important, since I swore off sony receivers decades ago.)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: what can hdmi do? (idiot's guide to)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: what can hdmi do? (idiot's guide to)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not exactly

Because both the BlueRay and TV are Sony they have a Bravia Sync Control function. So when you turn one on the other goes on too. Most brands have a similar control function. My friend has Samsung BD & TV and when he turns on his BlueRay it turns on his TV, etc.

I got a Harmony One Remote control to control all my equipment. I love it. But I had to turn off the Sony Bravia Sync in my TV so it didn't mess up the controls the Harmony remote was sending.

- Collapse -
Here's what mine can do;

I have a Samsung BD player and I have a Panasonics TV. My Samsung always select the aspect rational of my TV for me (it's a pain in the butt).

CNET Forums

Forum Info