Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What can cause this?

I got a message from my Mom her computer isn't working right. It has a AMD Athlon processor, Windows 98, 256MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive. It is a computer my sister and I put together from spare parts. It isn't connected to the internet or any e-mail programs. It has a bare number of programs installed and is used exclusively with her old DOS programs and dot matrix printer.

She story she tells is, she pushed the power button to turn on the computer and it wouldn't finish loading. She pushed to power button again to turn it off. She tried to start it again and the same thing happend. So, she unplugged the power cord, plugged it back in again, pushed the power button and the computer finished booting to the desktop. She now claims it is the only way to make the computer work. So she is shutting down the computer then unplugging the power cord each time. Any ideas what might be causing this? Getting more information from her such as error messages is impossible so this is the best I have. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What can cause this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What can cause this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Powersupply going or the battery????

In reply to: What can cause this?

Collapse -
What would you suggest I replace first?

In reply to: (NT) Powersupply going or the battery????

I don't have the skill or knowledge to replace a motherboard. I should be able replace either the battery or power supply. Which should I try first? I'm about to run out of used computers to give her.

Collapse -
The battery is the cheapest

In reply to: What would you suggest I replace first?

and easiest to replace at about $3....usually you will get weird error messages at bootup if that's the problem rather than intermittant bootups, but I'd start there first..

And before even THAT, check to make sure all the power supply hookups are fastened down tightly and something in the powerswitch connector hasn't jarred loose somehow from internal normal vibration.

TONI

Collapse -
When I get a chance

In reply to: The battery is the cheapest

to check it out, I'll try your suggestions. We don't live in the same town so it may be a while before I get over there. I'll let you know what works.

Collapse -
1 or 2 parts.

In reply to: What can cause this?

My kids machine did that. It was the motherboard. I swapped the power supply 3 times before we changed the motherboard. This is my personal experience so I share that it also extends to my fieldwork.

I always swap out the cheapest part first, update the BIOS (it can be the issue) before moving to the more expensive parts.

Cheers,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.