General discussion

What can be done if Internet Explorer is screwed?

I am on Internet Explorer 6. It behaves like screwed up, recently.
For example:
1. It constantly gives the famous stupid ?The program executed an illegal operation?? error message and tries to close all opened Internet Explorer windows.
2. When trying to ?open link in a new window? IE gets stuck and hangs my entire computer.
3. Trying to preview my website that I make in a website editing program through Internet Explorer results in my program and entire computer hanged.
In one word my Internet Explorer 6 is screwed for good but I don?t want to switch to other Internet browser for web designing reasons. Is there a way to fix Internet Explorer standalone or to somehow restore it to working state? Some fixes possible? Is it possible to diagnose if everything is ok with Microsoft Internet Explorer?
Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What can be done if Internet Explorer is screwed?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What can be done if Internet Explorer is screwed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you done all

the virus/spyware/adware scans before you try anything drastic? Also, you could check this link for IEFIX and see if any of the symptoms pertain to you.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

- Collapse -
done...

I have done so many cleaning jobs with various programs againsta spyware, viruses and stuff but the problem is still there, it is about my IE screwed...

- Collapse -
For Web Designing

You should be using Mozilla browsers. They have the most complete implementation of W3C specs avaliable. There's also a host of useful tools for web developers available as extensions for both Mozilla suite and Firefox.

Maybe if more people started developing websites to W3C standards, Microsoft would have a little incentive to improve the Trident engine in IE. Then people could use whatever browser they wanted, on whatever platform they wanted, and see roughly the same page. It'd make the developer's life easier too, not having to test the page in different browsers, fight with IE rendering engine bugs, gaps and inconsistencies with it's HTML and CSS support, etc.

- Collapse -
you would suggest it?

As to a webdesigner you would suggest me Mozilla?
This is very important for me.

- Collapse -
Absolutely

Like I said, it's got the most complete HTML and CSS implementation of any browser out there. It's not 100%, but the closest you'll get to it.

I don't do JavaScript programming myself, but I understand the Mozilla JS debugger is first rate, and there are plenty of other extensions that may prove useful.

Once you've got a site up that conforms to W3C specs, you can tinker with the code to get around IE bugs and shortcomings. In my experience, this is often the most time consuming part of the process. Often taking 2X longer than any other part, and that's for a simple site. But by writing to W3C spec, I know that the page should look pretty much the same whether the person is using Mozilla on Windows, *nix, or Mac platform... Or if the person is using Opera, Konqueror, or Safari, it should look the same regardless.

- Collapse -
Re: What can be done if Internet Explorer is screwed?

You didn't tell which windows XP version is currently installed. The following MSKB article describes how to reinstall IE.

Q318378 - "How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
thanks

I am on win xp pro
thanks for sugestion, i actually got that many times already.

- Collapse -
I wish you Good Luck ?

If you read the provided MSKB it's not about windows XP Pro or Home but for Serviece Pack version. The article deals with reinstalling IE and OE. The process depends of your actual Service Pack version.

Finally, I don't see where you got this, if you tried it after you got it, if whoever told you this supported you after, etc., etc.

In conclusion, I wish you Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Thanks...

Thanks, i will be trying... Happy

- Collapse -
IOf IE be screwed up....

You can always download Firefox. It's much better and less prone to screwups....,

- Collapse -
using now...

Now i am using it too... Wink

CNET Forums

Forum Info