Cameras forum

General discussion

What camera to photograph miniatures?

by ariel7 / March 28, 2005 2:15 PM PST

I need to buy a new digital camera that will allow me to take good, clear, sharp, high resolution photographs of miniature doll faces. I need details to show up clearly. I need them to look like photographs of models; showing every detail of these small facial features. The dolls are barbie size and bigger 16 inch.. Basically, I need to be able to zoom in and get a sparkling clear 800x600 high resolution digital photo from something that is about an inch in real life..

I need recommendations on what to buy, please. I have no idea what to get because it seems like most of these digital cameras are created for tourists and not for taking the kind of pictures I need. The only others are for professional photographers who can afford to spend $1000+ on a camera.. Well, I am not either.

I really don't want to spend over $300 if I don't have to. I am Not going to spend more than $500. I do not have that kind of money for something I only need for one thing and will hardly otherwise use. I already have a digital camera and I never use it, but it doesn't work well enough to take the pictures I need.

Also, I do not want a camera with a fixed-focal-length or retractable zoom lens. Those seem like more of the same badly made type of camera which I already have which always takes bad pictures, which cost $400 new. Unless I use the flash and cover it with tissue paper, all my photos come out blurry. It's ridiculous for a camera that cost so much.. This time, I want a lens that I can manually adjust and focus to get a good picture. Also, an adjustible flash or something. I basically want something like the good old fashioned 35mm where everything is adjustible (I hate automatic everything.. it works like $@&%), and you can get new lenses for if you want (especially ones that magnify objects), shutter speed can be chosen, etc.. except one that outputs digital.

So please help. I need to find something soon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What camera to photograph miniatures?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What camera to photograph miniatures?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Table Top Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 10:50 PM PST

The digital camera you are describing will cost about $700 for the body (Canon Digital Rebel 300D) and about $200 for a close focus or macro lens.

A 35mm film camera will cost about $220 for the body (Canon Rebel T2) and about $200 for a close focus or macro lens.

You had a couple of references to flash.
While good lighting is essential to table top photography, flash is not a good choice.

Here is a link that tells you how to build a table top studio:

http://www.shortcourses.com/studio/tabletop/studio.htm

Collapse -
Flash
by ariel7 / March 29, 2005 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Table Top Photography

"You had a couple of references to flash.
While good lighting is essential to table top photography, flash is not a good choice."

The only reason I was using flash was because without flash my current digital camera won't even take a clear picture. Everything comes out a big blur without the flash.

So you are saying I should get a digital SRL camera with a special macro lens.. That's about the conclusion I came to too after doing more research. I can't afford $900 though. Any more suggestions?

Actually, the DR is only around $375 some places.. I will also start looking in the used ads.

Collapse -
The blur is probably coming from moving the camera while
by Kiddpeat / March 29, 2005 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: Flash

the shutter is open. Put the camera on a tripod, squeeze the shutter gently, and walk away for 10-15 seconds.

My old Nikon 4500 takes good macro shots, but doesn't have a manual focus. It's got to be able to lock on something. It also holds the shutter open in low light until it's got enough light captured. It catches me that way a lot. If may hold the shutter open for several seconds.

Collapse -
its a very old digital camera anyway
by ariel7 / April 8, 2005 8:20 AM PDT

I've never used a camera that blurred so easily and it didn't used to do that, so I dunno. It's ultra sensitive. Doesn't matter because I'm going to get a new one.

Thanks for the advice and the link, snapshot. That helps so much. What a great link. Just what I needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?