Question

What camera can you suggest for me?

I have had a few of the smaller point and shoots..They didn't take great pictures so I just started using my phone.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What camera can you suggest for me?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What camera can you suggest for me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Nikon P500

The P500 sells for about $425, which is getting close to the price of some DSLR cameras.
It has all the controls you could ask for and it takes good pictures.
I suggest you get your hands on one and see how it feels to hold.

The 36X zoom is more zoom than you will ever use, because it takes a tripod to hold the camera steady at anything more than about 10X zoom.
The lens is sharp at 36X but if you hand hold the camera at than, you will get a lot of fuzzy pictures due to camera motion.

For comparison, I suggest you also look at something with a 12X zoom for about $225.
The Canon SX130 IS.

- Collapse -
Thanks for replying

Thank you for your response..I will definitely be using my hands and not a tripod. How is the Canon sx 130 at close ups (with the 12x zoom) and action shots?

- Collapse -
Close Ups

The secret to getting good portraits is to stay away from wide angle shots.
When using a short focal length, a camera will distort the face.
Set the camera for about 3X optical zoom and then move the camera closer/further to frame the shot.

The Canon SX130 will produce good close-ups,
but this is where a DSLR camera really shines because it can keep the face sharp and blur the background.
Any small camera with a small sensor assembly can not blur the background much.

Action shots should be fine as long as you use the flash in low light situations.
Action shots in low light without flash will result in blurred images.
Again, the DSLR cameras do better on action shots because you can use a bright/fast (f/1.Cool lens in low light.

- Collapse -
thanks again for the info

I do really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. Most of my action shots will be outside during the day. I am looking to take some pictures of my daughter playing lacrosse. So I am usually on the sideline. Does the canon allow you to take pictures one right after another?

- Collapse -
Digital Cameras

The Canon SX130 has a shot-to-shot speed of about 2 seconds.
In continuous mode, it can shoot about one picture per second.

For Lacrosse, I suggest you put the camera in Shutter Priority mode and set the shutter speed to 1/500th of a second.

The L120 takes good pictures and has a larger zoom.
It does not have the useful Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and full Manual modes.

- Collapse -
one more thing...

I have a Canon powershot A1100IS and I didn't like it. My pictures weren't all that clear and it couldn't handle any action shots. Now I realize this is an older camera and only has 4x zoom. But all my pictures turned out fuzzy a lot of the times. I really want clear crisp pictures. ...what do you think?

- Collapse -
Answer
Canon A1100 IS

The A1100 IS should do action shots well when you have good lighting or shooting with a flash.
In dim lighting without flash most small cameras do badly.
When using flash, the distance the flash is effective is only up-to about 12 feet.

If you keep the A1100 in AUTO mode all the time, you are not utilizing it to its potential.
That camera has several Scene "modes", and you should use them when the mode fits the situation.
See Pages 53 through 55 in the User Manual.

However it does not have an action/sports mode.
The high ISO speed setting will produce grainy photos.

The SX130 has manual controls and you can put the camera in "shutter priority" mode and set the shutter speed to a fast setting. This will give good action shots in good lighting.

- Collapse -
Hmm my reply is missing ..so will try again

Thanks for all the information..it has been helpful..I really want to "Upgrade" from the A1100...I did get grainy photos when in action..All my action shots are in the daytime . I am usually on the side of the field..I would love to get a couple quick shots of my daughter shooting at lax. But I also would love to get some great pictures on vacation..either of my kids playing or just sitting there posing. With the A1100 ..it always seemed like my shots were blurry and the camera seemed slow?

CNET Forums