Phones forum

General discussion

What brand to buy?

by bigassfireman / March 1, 2009 6:26 AM PST

I am looking to buy a pda. I had an old palm and liked it. I want one that has a color screen, but don't know about the different brands. I don't need anything real fancy, just a color screen. My main concerns easily accessing different apps for them, and just keeping track of my fire department appointments and meetings. Everything else would just be extra. I know palm has a bunch of apps but what about hp and dell? Any suggestions or help on the brand and models would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What brand to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What brand to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PDAs are going extinct...
by John.Wilkinson / March 4, 2009 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: What brand to buy?

In short, Dell got out of the PDA business a couple years ago while HP reduced their line (now mostly just overpriced multimedia-focused models) and Palm has ridden the edge of bankruptcy, but now gained new hope with the impending debut of the Palm Pre. Given your minimal requirements, you may be best suited picking up an older Palm TX or Palm Tungsten model on Ebay or the like. Both use the same operating system you're familiar with, include large color screens, and have tens of thousands of applications available from years of development, including those you may currently use.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I would stay far away from Palm devices
by JeeptourJ / May 7, 2009 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: What brand to buy?

Have owned Palm devices for over 10 years, (about 5 different units), and they worked good a few years ago. I currently have 2 LifeDrives (each has been into Palm 2x for repair at $150 a pop) and 1 TX that crashed after only 35 days out of the box. Palm has given up on the PDA user, so I don't know why they think we would return to them with the new Palm Pre. Palm batteries are not user changeable, you have to send it in to them (again - every time you send it in for whatever reason it's a charge of $150) then they send you back a replacement unit, so you get back some one else's headache! I finally threw in the towel and went out and purchased an HP Ipaq and will never go back to Palm. So..before you invest your time and $$ into a Palm device - just eliminate the headache and go with the HP. At least you can change your own battery, and NOT have to send your unit in. And I understand from friends that the HP tech support people are really great. So, my opinion about Palm ... awesome device when it worked. Sucks now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!