Laptops forum

General discussion

What Brand Laptops offer a Larger Battery these Days???

Seems that as of late most Laptop Manufacturers only offer a small battery for their Laptops (40 WHR) they once offered 95WHR as an option when buying or looking to buy a larger battery for a laptop. I am wondering what brands offer a larger Battery that will extend the use of a Laptop when on Battery? Does any still do?

And secondly why are not laptop batteries not more interchangeable seems each one has something different and you have to be very specific as to what battery you might buy that will actually work with a Laptop. Like HP each different model has a totally different shaped battery and so you cannot use one with a new laptop even though the battery might be still good. That is another issue with manufacturers today just to sell more parts / batteries they make so many different ones and now they are commonly only 40 WHR which don't last???

Looking at a possible Dell as a new laptop but with limit batteries I am now wondering what is available as to larger Batteries? before I start looking at Laptops being I do a lot when on battery only and no ac power to plug in.

Any suggestions will be welcome as to brands and what battery is available?

Newaygo1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Brand Laptops offer a Larger Battery these Days???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Brand Laptops offer a Larger Battery these Days???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None.

In reply to: What Brand Laptops offer a Larger Battery these Days???

It's a model issue. As to 40 WHR that's an odd way to go about it since a gamer laptop would need many times that to get through a day. There's up to a 10X difference in battery times depending on use.

I can't guess what the goal here is but let's say you want 8 hours. OK, we look for that then double it since the batteries degrade with use. To avoid dropping out in just a few months we building in about double the hours when new.

My buddy carries one of those car adapters for long times away from AC power.
Bob

Collapse -
Same Question!

In reply to: None.

I am really confused about this situation also. Dont know which battery will give at least 2 hour backup. After changing my old battery they said it will give 2 and half hour backup but the truth is it only give 1 hour backup.I am using the HP laptop.

Collapse -
A little more.

In reply to: Same Question!

Let's read a notebook review and look at the issue I brought up.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Alienware-13-Notebook-Review.133602.0.html

Skip down to Battery Runtime where you see the range of battery go from 12 hours down to 2 hours. That's about a 6 to 1 range which means that your 1 hour might be under load or not. No one should tell you you'll get 2 hours without discussing how use matters.
Bob

Collapse -
One thing about batteries is there

are only a few companies that make them. Back when we had the problem with batteries catching on fire were from multiple brands because they all had batteries manufactured by the same company. Laptop are typically designed by OEM's (Dell, Toshiba and Asus etc.) and manufactured in Taiwan or China by ODM's (Compal, Quanta and Wistron etc.).

I remember I purchased a HP laptop a few years ago and the default battery was a 6 cell but I upgraded to a 9 cell. This option was only available at the HP website where it was configurable. The 9 cell was much bigger and had an extension that when the laptop was on the desk the back end of the laptop was higher. This is typical of 9 cell batteries and they have an extension.

Collapse -
Battery life in PC Laptops

Mostly the Macs are famous for their battery life but there are also some of the competitive PCs that are in some cases outperforming Macs as well an example of that are Lenovo ThinkPad X240 and Lenovo ThinkPad T440s.
Acer TravelMate P645-MG-9419 , Toshiba Tecra Z40, Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and HP Spectre 13t-3000 are also some of the worthy competitors

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!