TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What brand equipment is better

I keep hearing alot about Monster Cables and power centers. Are they everything they are talked up to be? To get good quality is it necessary to spend $150.00 on power centers & cables?

I am hooking up a new 56" Samsung DLP - HLR5667W - to a DVD/CD Player; VCR; Reciever & Bose surround sound system. I am getting digital cable & HDTV too.

Can anyone help tell me what I need to purchase? What brands are good & will work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What brand equipment is better
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What brand equipment is better
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly? No.

In reply to: What brand equipment is better

But they are pretty nice. Just overhyped and for the pound, more money.

I still use them where appearances are part of what effect we want.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Frankly? No.

Can you give me a rundown of what I need to buy & mayeb what brands would suffice. Maybe better than suffice....

Collapse -
I AGREE

In reply to: Frankly? No.

I sell this stuff and I can tell you for the price you can't beat belkin blue series cables. Inexpensive and excellent. I sell monster and everything else too. I would not however by generic cables, too flimsy.

Collapse -
better is relative

You've touched on two companies that really piss me off: Monster and Bose. Both are masters of marketing what I consider to be mediocre (at best) products at ridiculous prices.

If you have power or lightening problems in your area, buy a surge suppressor or filter (think RCA, AR, Tripp-lite) that has the same specs as the Monster equivalent and the odds are you'll get something just as good for less money. Keep in mind that most of these limit available current, so if you don't need it, don't use it.

Same thing applies to cables and interconnects. I often use Ultralink, as they're reasonably cheap and use solid connectors. There are plenty of others to choose from (Audioquest, Kimber, Chord, etc.).

My little Athena Micras sound better (to me) than any Bose Acoustimas sytem I've heard and they likely sell in the States for around $300. Others good choices are Energy Take system, Energy Encore system, Mirage Omnisats, KEF eggs, etc.

Sorry if I've offended some of you. I'm not trolling - just how I feel about these products.

Collapse -
No Problem

In reply to: better is relative

No offense taken here. I appreciate your honesty. It's tough to figure some of this out...

Collapse -
yep

In reply to: No Problem

Thanks. And yes - it is tough to figure it all out. I've been working on it for years and I only have a tentative grasp on it. Search out some on-line discussion forums, do a lot of reading and then ask some questions. There really aren't any shortcuts. Enjoy.

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: better is relative

I totally agree with Bent. When I setup my home theater, I did a lot of research. Monster and Bose are way over priced and are just hyped up from their marketing. Think about Bose, where do you hear good things about them? Either their advertisements or from other Bose owners that usually do not really have much knowledge about high sound quality. They believe they really are putting out great sound, when in fact they are missing out on a very large range of frequencies. I have heard that Bose does make some good products, but that you can always get higher quality for less money than Bose. I could go on and on, but I don't want to get off subject.

About the cables, I bought some Monster and Acoustic Research component cables to compare. I connected them to my DVD player to my HDTV and could not tell a difference. I kept the AR cables and returned the Monster cables and got my huge refund back. I think the AR cables look good too. The ones I bought are a metallic looking blue with gold plated connectors. That's just some info I have. Good luck with your setup.

Collapse -
Ouch, now we get into something interesting.

Honestly, I have no experience with Monster Cables, but as an audiophile I know you WILL notice the difference between one cable and another! A friend of mine has one of the Monster Cables and he said it was a tremendous improvement from his Flatline (Nordost) cables, but I don't know which ones he bought and it was for music equipment exclusively). The plain cables from Radio "Crap" are just what they cost; Nothing!
Personally I use Nordost cables which are very good and transparent. The Solar Wind are good! So are the Flatline. And the advantage is that you can bend them back and forth as much as you want and they wont break. They are also flat so you can put a rug on top of them if needed. The main thing to think about is that they have to be transparent! You don't want them to "colour" the sound in any way, neither bass nor treble.
It also depends on what speakers you have.

Audioquest is another brand of cables that is very good. They make different kinds and I am sure you could find what you are looking for.

Bose - NO! It looks better than it sounds! Just like a Danish manufacturer that I have forgotten the name of now. The brands to go with in my opinion are Rotel, Arcam, Denon in the mid range and then in the higher range you have a lot of options, depending on what your budget is. But if you really want to go with good stuff, be ready to pay for it! Among audiophiles it is said that a 20% of the equipment should go for cables!

Just my 2 Quids!

Collapse -
B&O

In reply to: Ouch, now we get into something interesting.

I think you may be referring to Bang and Olufsen (the forgotten Danish company). I like Nordost too - use some of their ICs. As for Monster, don't respect their products or their corporate behaviour. I threw out my one pair of Monster ICs as the beginning of my life-long boycott.

I would never put 20% of my system cost into cables and ICs (or even 10%). I can't imagine myself spending $2K for wire in a $10K system. There are too many other places where the money could have a greater impact. I would likely spend closer to $500. JMHO.

cheers

Collapse -
You may be right

In reply to: B&O

But what it means is basically that one shouldn't cut back on cables. They ARE important! If you go to Circuit City and buy an equipment, you will get "phone cables" with the system and they will not provide the same sound as a pro cable! But $500 for speaker cables and interconnectors is a good price imo!

BTW, thanks for the reminder about B&O! That was the manufacturer that I thought about. You can pay the same price for other brands and get WAY better stuff! And the same goes for BOSE.

What I would like to know is where the original poster is from. What High-End Audio stores does he have in his area?

Buy a copy of Stereophile (April or October preferrably) and check out their ratings. Oct. and April are the months when they rate all the products!

You may also want to check out a good book by Bob Harley which is to be found here! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0964084988/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-9139293-8145642?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Good Luck.

PS. Harley has also written a book about Audio which is to be found here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0964084961/qid=1118342718/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9139293-8145642

You can probably not get a more complete instruction to how to choose equipment!

Collapse -
here's a great addition to this post

In reply to: You may be right

Blue Jeans Cable Company, you can get any cable (besides optical) at any size and by any termination (visit the site if u dont know what i mean) www.bluejeanscable.com, ALSO i use Audioholics website (www.audioholics.com) to read reviews that come out in between my issues of Home Theater Magazine.

Collapse -
audioholics

In reply to: here's a great addition to this post

Great site. The site is very technical but their conclusions? Nothing beats plain old 10 or 12 gauge Zip Chord!

Collapse -
Blue Jeans Cable

I use interconnects from Blue Jeans Cables, for my SACD hook-up and they are great, very satisfied. Decent price too. www.bluejeanscable.com

Collapse -
Try them but don't buy them

The best audio supply place is www.partsexpress.com. You can try thier cables for 90 days and still send them back. That's confidence.

Collapse -
No Way

In reply to: Ouch, now we get into something interesting.

Yes you should buy good cables but the truth is you don't have to pay the ridicules price Monster and some others charge. Take a look at them. They are mass-produced out of copper and plastic. They could be sold for 1/10th of the price they are and they still would make a good profit. Sometimes common sense should prevail.

Collapse -
What brand equipment is better

This is a can of worms you opned about cables. Can get very heated at times. REMEMBER this cables from Monster and the like are desinged to make big profits for the compaines and the retailer that sells them.
That $100 Monster power center is going to make $49 of profit for the store that sells it. Now Monster marks it up a lot so they make $30 of profit on it.
If it was my money I would a good quality surg-protector power strip for about $20. John

Collapse -
A $20 cables

If you buy a $20 cables, you will end up with a cable where 50% is profit for the retailer, 30% profit for the manufacturer and the rest is what the cable is worth. You end up with a $4 cable. That is if your example above is applied. No matter what you pay there will always be a surplus for both manufacturer and seller! But as they say, you get what you pay for with a few exceptions.

PW Wink

Collapse -
$20 cables

In reply to: A $20 cables

So are you saying it is better to buy the monster cable after all? I am so confused!

The only cable I am really interested in right now is the DVI to HDMI cable. I am looking at the monster 400 (HDMI400/DVI-2M) but am always open to suggestions. I just want a good picture out of the new TV.

Help getting very dizzy here.......................

Collapse -
$20 cables

In reply to: $20 cables

Collapse -
Monster...

In reply to: $20 cables

I personally like the Belkin A/V line conditioners more than anything. It is very important to line one up with a digital filter on it, and since you're using a DLP, a UPS is invaluable.

Monster cables are probably some of the betters ones out there, but they do carry a high cost. They may not be worth 100% what you pay, but they'll give you a good return on your money.

Collapse -
Weakest Link

In reply to: Monster...

To me it seems there is no sense of buying cables whose performance exceeds the weakest link in your system, namely your ears. I have an old Beach Boys CD, which contains a very high frequency soft background rhythm. I am longer able to hear it, therefore if I were to buy new equipment, do I really care if it can reproduce sounds I can not hear?

Collapse -
Weakest Link

In reply to: Weakest Link

In cables the law of diminishing returnes applies.
If a $20 set of cables is good a $100 set of cables is NOT going to be 5 times better. You are NOT going to get 5 times better sound, picture quality, etc.
Audioholics.com did a test on the set AV cables that came
with a LCD TV and high priced set of after market cables.
And found that the cables that came with the TV to be better.
Even when the best test gear says there is no difference in the cables, people still claim there is.
So the Emperos New Clothes lives on. John

Collapse -
Cables

In reply to: Weakest Link

I agree with jcrobso! Don't listen to opinions, read the comparisons from the pro's. I've found MUCH cheaper cables to be just as good, if NOT better than the monster cables. Opinions are just like ***holes, everybody's got one and they all stink!
Spend your money more effectively. People are just deluded into thinking that just because they spend $100 on a cable that it sounds better. Fact is, listen to what most people are listening to.......Not too much detail in the rock/pop/rap garbage to make that much difference anyway, just a bunch of boomy noise.

Being a classical musician, I've listened to MANY, MANY different speakers and systems, and to me, the best speakers I've ever heard that had the most detail were Infinity speakers. Fabulous sound and could hear every note of the symphony on every instrument.....Sure beats the BOOOM, BOOOM, BOOOM that everyone else looks for!
How could I refuse posting my opinion?

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Advertising costs

In reply to: A $20 cables

With Monster probably 90% of their cost is in advertising so the cable doesn't cost much more to manufacture than the cheap cables

Collapse -
Monster does NO advertising.

In reply to: Advertising costs

They do not advertise, the Monster Park buy was their first publicity money spent in years. Go thru the magazines and try to find their ads. You can't, because they don't do it, they don't believe in it.

Collapse -
Surge Protectors useless

For the money Monster charges you could get a UPS that would be far more effective.

Collapse -
Wrong..................

In reply to: Surge Protectors useless

A UPS and a device that eliminates surge and electrical noise are two totally different things.

Collapse -
re

for what you have-yes-filters current in house-for just a 32" no

Collapse -
Key is to match up componets/room

Doesn't matter what cables you use if the amp (etc.) is not putting out what the speakers (etc.) can handle/need ... and what your listening/viewing environment will allow you to ''perceive''.

For example, a 100 watt amp with 500 watt speakers means the speakers are very unlikely to receive sufficent power to drive them at their ''sweet spot''; thus the sound will likely be 'flat' ... too much wattage and you'll blow the speakers.

Also true of frequency range (amp=40-20000 hz while sub-woofer=20-200 hz?) and DVD/VCR/PC video resolution and TV/monitor pixel/screen size.

Environmental issues (ie: kids, dishwashers, cars/trucks, your beer cooler, etc.) will play havic with whatever audio set-up you have, so unless you have a significant investment in soundproofing, etc., the little gained in audio quality via cables will probably be hosed over anyway.

Spend your money on making sure you have matched abilities of the componets, use decent mid-priced cables (well connected and in good shape not run over by your chair 400 times) and then worry more about TV/speaker positioning.

Spend your ''fancy brand name cable'' money on a comfortable chair/couch and a few (more) beers!!!

Good luck & enjoy,

Goodtime Charlie, VA

Collapse -
No!

In reply to: Key is to match up componets/room

You Said "For example, a 100 watt amp with 500 watt speakers means the speakers are very unlikely to receive sufficent power to drive them at their ''sweet spot''; thus the sound will likely be 'flat'."

Sorry but this is not true. The wattage rating is the amount of power a speaker can handle before it "blows up". The amount of power needed is related to the efficiency of the speaker.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.