Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What blank cds to buy

by nglawrence / February 16, 2004 9:04 AM PST

I just got my first cd writer. I got a Dell laptop with a 24X/8X CDRW/DVD COMBO Drive. I do not know what blank cds to buy. There are so many. I will be writting some data to back up files & pictures & some music. I'd appreciate some help from someone who knows what to buy. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What blank cds to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What blank cds to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What blank cds to buy
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: What blank cds to buy

ng,

Just my opinion here. Watch for sales on ALL types of CD media and you can frequently find good ones for free after rebates and discounts. For music CD's, I use CD-R media and almost anything will do that is acceptable by the burner. (Make sure to read the manual for your CD-RW drive as it frequently will give you the "preferred" disks.) For important backups, I use the better quality disks. For CD-RW disks, I personally like Sony disks as they seem to last longer when doing frequently "rewriting".

For a current review and some good reading, here is a link to:

CD-R Media-Testing For Quality (Cnet Review)
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3185_7-5020710-1.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:What blank cds to buy
by nglawrence / February 16, 2004 9:36 AM PST

Thanks Grif. I looked for an article on cds, but couldn't find it. Your advice gives me some background when I go to the store. Norma

Collapse -
(NT) Norma, Glad It Helped !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 12:22 PM PST

Collapse -
by frankzxcv / February 16, 2004 2:03 PM PST

keep your eyes open when you walk into microcenter or compusa, there are usually tables where cheap CD's are on sale-- a lot of times there is a rebate to file, but I usually pay 10- 20 cents each or less for CD's. take note of their write speed. I have never had a problem, even with off brands. --fj

Collapse -
'Quality vs CD-R Compatibility'
by Cursorcowboy / February 16, 2004 8:13 PM PST
Collapse -
by Charlie / February 20, 2004 6:26 PM PST

I generally purchase low-cost CD Media for most of my general-purpose music/data storage needs. Unless you are copying files that are absolutely irreplaceable, I can't justify the high cost of "name-brands" (most of which are probably generic disks with fancy packaging and labels anyway!). I have never paid more than ten bucks for a 100-pack spindle, and I have never yet had a disk failure (knock on wood) in over 1000 successful burns.

Look for sales and rebates - I often get 100-pack spindle for free, and stock up on them. Staples is a great resource for some good buys on CD's.

I have found that just because your CD-RW Drive will support copying at 52X, you will achieve much better results by copying at a slower speeds (8X to 24X). The more important the data, the slower I record the disk. Take your time - faster speeds mean an increased possibility of write errors, regardless of the cost of the CD's. You will get better results by burning cheap CD's at a slow speed than you will get by burning expensive CD's at fast speeds.

Don't get sucked-in by the advertising hype. More expensive is not always better. Buy 'em cheap, burn 'em slow, and everyone will be happy (except the manufacturers of those over-priced CD's)!

Collapse -
Re:Re:What blank cds to buy
by gearup / February 21, 2004 4:31 AM PST

Tint is a better criteria than cost. If the recording surface is blue,pink,gold or rainbow I have found that the cd you burn may not be usable on another computer. So
have found that sticking to CD-R which have a "silver" sheen is the best bet for me.
Good luck with whatever you use!

Collapse -
:What blank cds to NOT buy!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2004 6:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Re::What blank cds to NOT buy!
by Quaint Data / February 26, 2004 11:41 AM PST

are true, I have seen those cd's on sale as a gimmick, it's just a cover shouldn't have effected the actual burning side of the cd. But hey thanks for the tip cheers Merete

Collapse -
Re::What blank cds to NOT buy!
by Quaint Data / February 26, 2004 11:42 AM PST

Oh did you know that your car cd player will not play mp3 unless you have one that supports this?? Just a thought.

Collapse -
by pluto45 / February 24, 2004 10:05 AM PST

My experience with "Memeorex" has not been a good one,
I've had to throw out a number of them,so naturally I wouldn't suggest them. However, Sony, Fuji, Comp USA are a good place to start. For pictures
and data I'd definately buy a better brand. Good luck
pluto45

Collapse -
FUJIFILM
by Jay M / February 25, 2004 9:34 PM PST

I can second that recommendation for Fujifilm CDr. I have used many of them and they play everywhere. For me, the trick is to use a slower write speed (4x-8x)--it takes a little longer to make the disc, but it's well worth it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!