Speakeasy forum

General discussion

what are your chances gettin sued by the RIAA if you

download illegal stuff?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what are your chances gettin sued by the RIAA if you
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what are your chances gettin sued by the RIAA if you
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How much have you downloaded?

In reply to: what are your chances gettin sued by the RIAA if you

Collapse -
How Not To Get Sued By The RIAA For File-Sharing link

Collapse -
I'm confused,

In reply to: How Not To Get Sued By The RIAA For File-Sharing link

are you actully helping a downloader ( to avoid being caught)?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) who says ps3fan is a downloader?

In reply to: I'm confused,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm using "downloader" as a generic person

In reply to: (NT) who says ps3fan is a downloader?

Collapse -
Read "Chilling effects." (link)

Collapse -
let say i downloaded two cd's or three

In reply to: Read "Chilling effects." (link)

and some videos...

Collapse -
I am appalled!!

Bob,you must resign from SE immediately!!

Collapse -
if he "resigns"

In reply to: I am appalled!!

i offer to take his place!

the link was a good link and the site is informative...

Collapse -
Amen!

In reply to: if he "resigns"

But,I certainly don't want R.Proffit to resign!

Collapse -
Freedom to understand, discuss, tinker? (link)

In reply to: I am appalled!!

Collapse -
Correct me if I'm wrong, please

From everything I've been reading and researching, it is NOT punishable if you have DOWNLOADED the song/movie/program. It's only punishable if you SHARE it or BURN it or INSTALL it (if it's a 'cracked' version with install codes). If it's a song or a movie, you can actually listen to it and/or watch it from your computer and then discard it.

Obviously, you are in a p2p situation in order to get the song or movie to begin with, but from what I understand if you aren't sharing anything you have and your shared folder is empty or disabled, you haven't done anything legally wrong and punishable....

And from what I understand also, ISP's monitor not so much what you DOWNLOAD, but rather what is being UPLOADED from your end regarding file sharing.

TONI

Collapse -
maybe just semantics, but....

In reply to: Correct me if I'm wrong, please

but from what I understand if you aren't sharing anything you have and your shared folder is empty or disabled, you haven't done anything legally wrong and punishable....

if it's already on my hard disk, and now a copy is on your hard disk, isn't that the definition of 'sharing'?..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) YES

In reply to: maybe just semantics, but....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) that was a "generic" yes i assume :-)

In reply to: (NT) YES

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, you were correct on the first post

In reply to: (NT) that was a "generic" yes i assume :-)

Collapse -
Yes but...

In reply to: maybe just semantics, but....

YOU'RE the one who shared it, not me. lol

TONI

Collapse -
yes but...........

In reply to: Yes but...

it takes two to share Happy

Collapse -
OK, I will...

In reply to: Correct me if I'm wrong, please

Under copyright law as well as several other laws if you KNOWINGLY (and even in some instances WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE) are a participant at any level of illegal activity you can be charged and tried for your criminal behavior and activity.

The option is pretty much up to the prosecutors and/or the damaged party (holder of copyright). Normally because of cost considerations "small time" violators won't be bothered although they may well get a "threatening" letter from the copyright holder or their attorneys.

To put it in focus, it is much like the get-away car driver who never even entered the convenience store being charged with murder if his partner in crime killed someone in the store and that happens all the time because of the "big time" type of crime it is.

Consider well the legal meaning of accessory as well as participant.

Collapse -
Im so confuse

In reply to: OK, I will...

which one is illegal sharing or downloading or just both?

Collapse -
BOTH !!!

In reply to: Im so confuse

with few exceptions, if you didn't buy it, it ain't yours to have

Collapse -
FALSE!

In reply to: BOTH !!!

There are more than a few exceptions,not to mention 50,000+ here:http://www.download.com/
Or http://garageband.com/
There are thousands of ''top 40'' artists who support p2p but due to their contracts with ''BIG MUSIC'' won't publicly say so.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Were talking about COPYRIGHTED material

In reply to: FALSE!

Collapse -
If an artist wants to support P2P ...

In reply to: FALSE!

... more power to them, but they are not allowed to give away copyrights they no longer own or are not the sole owner of.

If they're not talking, you should be careful in your guesstimate of thousands who support P2P. If really nailed down I would be surprised if in it's current state, even hundreds would do so. I don't know a lot of people or entities that would like others to just give away the fruits of their labor.

Collapse -
EFF seems to have a strange take on P2P

At least that's what I get from: http://www.eff.org/share/

The whole attraction of file sharing is NOT to pay for the music. ANY scheme that compensates the artist will require paying for it. It seems as if they are supporting a new third-party distribution system or something. If P2P compensates the artist, why not just buy the song from the producer?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Pretty small if you just

download files. If you make many files available for others to download from you your chances are much greater.

Dan

Collapse -
Taping from the radio

How is downloading a music file, any different legally from running a tape on your boombox when they have the top 40 playing on your favorite radio station? I've NEVER heard of anyone being prosecuted for VHS taping of televised concerts, or from taping songs off their radio, and some FM stations send out some great clear stereo too. To charge for what was and remains freely available from the radio seems a bit ridiculous. There's a difference in using one's own media to record a sound, and the rights someone else may have to sell their media upon which they have recorded a sound, hopefully of a better quality source. What I've seen of mp3 files, with their odd conversions leaving pops, clicks, varying volume levels, they are of little better quality than a recording one can do themself from a good FM station onto a cassette tape.

Collapse -
Use free dialup

If you are that worried about it use a dialup service. Make a quick connect, download whatever you wanted, then drop the connection and make a new dialup connection which will result in a quick IP change. It's a royal pain to try and track down a single connect and disconnect and then positively identify who made the connect, especially weeks later when a subpoena comes through. RIAA goes after broadband connectors who deal in high volume. If you are truly paranoid, use Juno free and register it as Mickey Mouse on Lollipop lane or something similar. War drivers often park in a motel lot and use their open Internet wireless intended for guests too. Basically, if you "accidentally" downloaded some copyright material, but not in bulk and haven't been sharing in volume, the RIAA isn't going to worry with such a gnat.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!