Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

what are your chances gettin sued by the RIAA if you

Dec 31, 2005 3:08PM PST

download illegal stuff?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How much have you downloaded?
Dec 31, 2005 8:33PM PST
- Collapse -
How Not To Get Sued By The RIAA For File-Sharing link
Dec 31, 2005 9:31PM PST
- Collapse -
I'm confused,
Dec 31, 2005 9:34PM PST

are you actully helping a downloader ( to avoid being caught)?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) who says ps3fan is a downloader?
Dec 31, 2005 11:23PM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm using "downloader" as a generic person
Dec 31, 2005 11:30PM PST
- Collapse -
Read "Chilling effects." (link)
Jan 1, 2006 12:53AM PST
- Collapse -
let say i downloaded two cd's or three
Jan 1, 2006 3:38AM PST

and some videos...

- Collapse -
I am appalled!!
Jan 1, 2006 10:21PM PST

Bob,you must resign from SE immediately!!

- Collapse -
if he "resigns"
Jan 1, 2006 11:16PM PST

i offer to take his place!

the link was a good link and the site is informative...

- Collapse -
Amen!
Jan 1, 2006 11:52PM PST

But,I certainly don't want R.Proffit to resign!

- Collapse -
Freedom to understand, discuss, tinker? (link)
Jan 1, 2006 11:56PM PST
- Collapse -
Correct me if I'm wrong, please
Jan 1, 2006 4:32AM PST

From everything I've been reading and researching, it is NOT punishable if you have DOWNLOADED the song/movie/program. It's only punishable if you SHARE it or BURN it or INSTALL it (if it's a 'cracked' version with install codes). If it's a song or a movie, you can actually listen to it and/or watch it from your computer and then discard it.

Obviously, you are in a p2p situation in order to get the song or movie to begin with, but from what I understand if you aren't sharing anything you have and your shared folder is empty or disabled, you haven't done anything legally wrong and punishable....

And from what I understand also, ISP's monitor not so much what you DOWNLOAD, but rather what is being UPLOADED from your end regarding file sharing.

TONI

- Collapse -
maybe just semantics, but....
Jan 1, 2006 10:55AM PST

but from what I understand if you aren't sharing anything you have and your shared folder is empty or disabled, you haven't done anything legally wrong and punishable....

if it's already on my hard disk, and now a copy is on your hard disk, isn't that the definition of 'sharing'?..

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) YES
Jan 1, 2006 11:12AM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) that was a "generic" yes i assume :-)
Jan 1, 2006 11:15AM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, you were correct on the first post
Jan 1, 2006 11:43AM PST
- Collapse -
Yes but...
Jan 1, 2006 6:44PM PST

YOU'RE the one who shared it, not me. lol

TONI

- Collapse -
yes but...........
Jan 1, 2006 11:15PM PST

it takes two to share Happy

- Collapse -
OK, I will...
Jan 2, 2006 12:35AM PST

Under copyright law as well as several other laws if you KNOWINGLY (and even in some instances WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE) are a participant at any level of illegal activity you can be charged and tried for your criminal behavior and activity.

The option is pretty much up to the prosecutors and/or the damaged party (holder of copyright). Normally because of cost considerations "small time" violators won't be bothered although they may well get a "threatening" letter from the copyright holder or their attorneys.

To put it in focus, it is much like the get-away car driver who never even entered the convenience store being charged with murder if his partner in crime killed someone in the store and that happens all the time because of the "big time" type of crime it is.

Consider well the legal meaning of accessory as well as participant.

- Collapse -
Im so confuse
Jan 2, 2006 7:41AM PST

which one is illegal sharing or downloading or just both?

- Collapse -
BOTH !!!
Jan 2, 2006 7:46AM PST

with few exceptions, if you didn't buy it, it ain't yours to have

- Collapse -
FALSE!
Jan 2, 2006 8:39AM PST

There are more than a few exceptions,not to mention 50,000+ here:http://www.download.com/
Or http://garageband.com/
There are thousands of ''top 40'' artists who support p2p but due to their contracts with ''BIG MUSIC'' won't publicly say so.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Were talking about COPYRIGHTED material
Jan 2, 2006 9:01AM PST
- Collapse -
If an artist wants to support P2P ...
Jan 4, 2006 2:15AM PST

... more power to them, but they are not allowed to give away copyrights they no longer own or are not the sole owner of.

If they're not talking, you should be careful in your guesstimate of thousands who support P2P. If really nailed down I would be surprised if in it's current state, even hundreds would do so. I don't know a lot of people or entities that would like others to just give away the fruits of their labor.

- Collapse -
EFF seems to have a strange take on P2P
Jan 6, 2006 5:19AM PST

At least that's what I get from: http://www.eff.org/share/

The whole attraction of file sharing is NOT to pay for the music. ANY scheme that compensates the artist will require paying for it. It seems as if they are supporting a new third-party distribution system or something. If P2P compensates the artist, why not just buy the song from the producer?

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Pretty small if you just
Jan 6, 2006 5:00AM PST

download files. If you make many files available for others to download from you your chances are much greater.

Dan

- Collapse -
Taping from the radio
Mar 13, 2006 11:03PM PST

How is downloading a music file, any different legally from running a tape on your boombox when they have the top 40 playing on your favorite radio station? I've NEVER heard of anyone being prosecuted for VHS taping of televised concerts, or from taping songs off their radio, and some FM stations send out some great clear stereo too. To charge for what was and remains freely available from the radio seems a bit ridiculous. There's a difference in using one's own media to record a sound, and the rights someone else may have to sell their media upon which they have recorded a sound, hopefully of a better quality source. What I've seen of mp3 files, with their odd conversions leaving pops, clicks, varying volume levels, they are of little better quality than a recording one can do themself from a good FM station onto a cassette tape.

- Collapse -
Use free dialup
Mar 13, 2006 11:11PM PST

If you are that worried about it use a dialup service. Make a quick connect, download whatever you wanted, then drop the connection and make a new dialup connection which will result in a quick IP change. It's a royal pain to try and track down a single connect and disconnect and then positively identify who made the connect, especially weeks later when a subpoena comes through. RIAA goes after broadband connectors who deal in high volume. If you are truly paranoid, use Juno free and register it as Mickey Mouse on Lollipop lane or something similar. War drivers often park in a motel lot and use their open Internet wireless intended for guests too. Basically, if you "accidentally" downloaded some copyright material, but not in bulk and haven't been sharing in volume, the RIAA isn't going to worry with such a gnat.