Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What are ways for a Japanese student to learn English?

by SultanEmerr / October 14, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

What are some good methods and ways for a Japanese student to study and learn written and spoken English, with emphasis on composition, in order to prepare for English Language exams in four months, to be able to enter a top rated Japanese High School?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are ways for a Japanese student to learn English?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are ways for a Japanese student to learn English?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have to laugh
by Patricia89 / October 14, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

you already speak and write English, At least what you posted is understandable.
Pat

Collapse -
dare i point out that sultanemmer
by jonah jones / October 14, 2007 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I have to laugh

did not say that he is a Japanese student or that he has to prepare for English Language exams in four months or that he wants to enter a top rated Japanese High School
he washowever polite enough to say Thank you in advance for your help

i'm sure he will appreciate your 'laugh'....

Collapse -
My sincerest apologies too sultanemmer
by Patricia89 / October 14, 2007 2:15 PM PDT

I was laughing because his English is better than most in these forums. I misunderstood his message, I thought the information he was seeking was for himself.
Pat

Collapse -
I'm assuming the student lives in Japan?
by grimgraphix / October 14, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

There are enough american, canadian and british college graduates that go to japan to teach english that I would imagine finding one willing to tutor you would be fairly easy. Depending on where you live, and if your family has the room for an extra tennet, you might see if an english speaking student would be willing to teach you in exchange for a place to live.

Another way would be to find out where some of the english speaking expatriots hang out together for recreation and go there to strike up friendships with them. Best way to become familiar with any language is to spend a good portion of the day talking it with native speakers. Keep in mind, thatb this method may not be the best way to be exposed to "grammatically correct" english.

Good Luck

grim

Collapse -
My niece was a student in Japan
by Angeline Booher / October 14, 2007 8:07 AM PDT

.... for her senior high school year. She had taken advantage of Japanese being offered at her local high school.

She lived with a Japanese family, so was immersed in the language. However, I think she would tell you that she is not fluent.

Four months is a very short period of time, especially in composition.

We had a member from an Eastern European country whose English grammar put some of us to shame. He had a tutor.

If you have a college or university near you, contact their language department.

You might contact a Japanese embassy for advice. Perhaps our State department could help.

Bt I think your best choice is a college/university.

Is this for you, or a friend, or a child?

Anyway, the best of luck to you!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Thank you.
by SultanEmerr / October 21, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

I wish to thank everyone who participated in this discussion.
Every contribution, no matter how humble, is acknowledged,
and I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

Collapse -
The only good way is to
by Dan McC / October 15, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

read and write as much as possible and have the work reviewed by a fluent speaker, and to speak as much as possible with fluent speakers. Once the basic language components are in place only use, correction, use, and correction will bring about improvement.

Dan

Collapse -
Japanese student to learn English
by addison45 / November 1, 2015 8:58 PM PST

Trying to speak more is great. Japanese usually would be a lot better with English if they practiced speaking more.

However, I would suggest not just reading out loud, or repeating things that you understand, but trying to mimic what people say in movies even if you don't understand it!

The problem for a lot of Japanese people is that they are thinking about katakana or English spelling when they speak, so they pronounce things wrong. English is not pronounced really how it's written -- you have to just listen and copy what you hear first - this is how children learn proper pronunciation. Children copy what they hear before they even understand the words, and long before they learn to write.

So try to mimic things you hear in movies when you don't understand them. Just try to think of them as sounds rather than words. Get down to the level where you are just trying to make the same sounds with your mouth. Then your pronunciation will start to really improve.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?