Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

What are some good uses for home server?

by MRHID3F / January 27, 2009 10:26 AM PST

Hello, I built this really cool and very advance desktop computer over the summer, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of what to do with it. I have already done streaming television with orb and I have done the Web GUI Utorrent. What else should I do with it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
MRHID3F

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are some good uses for home server?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are some good uses for home server?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My best move was to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 10:47 AM PST

Schedule mine to turn off when I don't use it for a hour. My desktop was very cool too but at 200+ Watts, I thought of that great movie line "By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings!"

Collapse -
Thanks but I need to keep it on
by MRHID3F / January 27, 2009 10:58 AM PST
In reply to: My best move was to

Hey thank you for responding however I need to keep it on so I can use it as a server. If it is off then I wont be able to stream my music, videos, and live TV anywhere I go so. If you have any other suggestions thanks.

Thank you,
MRHID3F

Collapse -
TVERSITY
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 11:26 AM PST

One of the better streamers I know of is TVERSITY.

I still suggest investigating if your BIOS has a wake up at some time feature and then set Windows to power off hours later. Most desktops are power hogs and if we try just a little we can cut the power back.
Bob

Collapse -
How good is tversity?
by MRHID3F / January 28, 2009 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: TVERSITY

Thank you for responding, do you think you can tell me more about Tversity. Have you used it before? If yes, then what are the positives and negatives of it.

Thank You,
MRHID3F

Collapse -
So much written about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: How good is tversity?

I'm going to short change you here. Read the web site and reviews about it.

Collapse -
Haha ok
by MRHID3F / January 28, 2009 9:57 AM PST

Ha I figured you were going to say that. but its fine I just want something I can do with my computer/server.

Collapse -
There is one thing about this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Haha ok

It can transcode on the fly (given the right settings, etc.) Many others can't do that.

Collapse -
Can you exlplain transcoding?
by MRHID3F / January 28, 2009 10:22 AM PST

Can you explain what transcoding is?

Collapse -
Not to duplicate the web
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 10:55 AM PST

The file is in one encoding but the player needs it in another.

Collapse -
sorry but
by mementh / January 27, 2009 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: My best move was to

Best Use of a Geek Quote of a Spoof Movie.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!