Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What are Root Kits?

by NeepZ706 / May 13, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

What are root kits? Do they cause damage and can they hack your PC? The reason I am asking that is because my anti-spy ware is saying I have one on my PC. Plus for some reason it cannot be removed by my anti-spyware. I have the web root anti-spyware software.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are Root Kits?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are Root Kits?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is an explanation as to what
by roddy32 / May 13, 2006 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: What are Root Kits?

they are on this link here. They are usually difficult to remove also but in order to help you we would need a lot more specific information than what you have given.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Collapse -
reply about root kits
by NeepZ706 / May 13, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

I have the file names, The are

adware.Win32.Maxifiles
adware.maxifiles.F

Collapse -
about root kits
by tomron / May 13, 2006 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: reply about root kits

I fouud this LINK

If you scroll down this listed-adware.Win32.Maxifiles,but it has a letter after it

If you scroll down you will see-adware.maxifiles.F

Tom

Collapse -
Security Now! Episode#9-Rootkits-Oct.13,2005
by kingdomofjones / May 14, 2006 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: about root kits
Collapse -
The Rootkit Revealer: sysinternals.com
by kingdomofjones / May 14, 2006 5:14 AM PDT

go to sysinternals.com compliments of Mark Russinovich and run rootkit revealer-There is a second diagnostic tool in the f-secure Blacklite-google both of these items and they should help a great if not only in diagnostic ability but in removal as well.

Collapse -
Fileforum.betanews.com/detail
by kingdomofjones / May 14, 2006 5:41 AM PDT

Fileforum.betanews.com/detail/fsecure_Blacklite It is a freeware diagnostic tool that will deliver the goods,that is it will remove the rootkit if a rootkit is detected.It was one of the tools that was in the news when the Sony debacle surfaced some while back and it also was unable to remove the Sony Rootkit.It caused and it was reported that the attempt made to remove the Sony/DRM-rootkit removed the respective computers CD-ROM drive.The rootkit revealer appeared to have the inside position when it was the find of Mark Russinovich that they were able to put things back together again.The Blacklite from f-secure is in beta however it is an excellent diagnostic tool and it is very much worth a more serious look see.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.