Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What are plugins?

by hikergirl / June 30, 2008 7:07 AM PDT

I use Windows XP with Firefox.
On most sites, in the area where a pop-up has been prevented from opening, I am getting this message: Additional plug-ins are required to display all the media on this page.
On the right-hand side, in a rectangular shaped box is: Install Missing Plugins...
Is this a legitimate window?
Will I be safe in installing the plug-in?
I don't have any idea for what they are used.
Thanks for any help out there - but in plain language, please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are plugins?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are plugins?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What it may be...
by Willy / June 30, 2008 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: What are plugins?

It should be OK, outside of any malware at work(you judge). If you've recently installed Firefox or upgraded, that should display. Visiting websites that should be more active or animation may also need some plug-in ie: Flash player or Adobe needs. Click on the link/button should provide what it needs or recommends. Just going to the Firefox website itself and check the plug-ins that may interest you is another "tweeking/fine tune" of Firefox. I find the most demanding plug-in is Flash player, so if it needs that, go ahead and get it. Anything else is up to you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Plugins
by Grimbles / June 30, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

Hi - Plugins are used in Firefox (and Internet Explorer) to view images, animated graphics, etc. (on a web page) which have been generated by a specific 3rd party application. If your browser (Firefox) does not have the relative plugin you will not be able to view that portion of the page.
The most common would be 'Adobe Flash Player'....In most cases this is a legitimate window and you will be safe installing the plugin.
It is entirely up to you however as to whether or not you deem this necessary...in most cases the main body of the web page will still be displayed okay and the missing 'bits' will not detract from the relevant information. There are occasions, however, when in order to get the most out of a certain web page a plugin must be installed, this is certainly true if you wish to view an embedded movie (usually Adobe Flash Player).
It would be almost 100% certain that the "additional" plugin you require" is for the 'Adobe Flash Player'...I would have absolutely no qualms about installing this.....when you click on the link "Install Missing Plugins", the relevant plugin will be identified.
cheers.....JIM

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player plugin
by hikergirl / June 30, 2008 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Plugins

Jim,
Thank you for the information and assurance.
You are exactly right - it was for Adobe Flash Player, which I have loaded. (I really thought I already had that.)
I will shut down now so that it can install.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
You probably did!
by Grimbles / June 30, 2008 8:11 AM PDT

Hi - You are welcome......You probably did already install the Flash Player, but for Internet Explorer....each browser requires its own plugin.
cheers....JIM

Collapse -
what are plugins
by AnacondaAnaconda / June 6, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

Hi Jim. Thank you for the information. Andre.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!