Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Linux forum

General discussion

What are latest programs/hardware for Ubuntu 11.04?

by cnet_waites / April 29, 2011 2:23 PM PDT

If you already upgraded from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 what programs and hardware are you currently using right now? If you can provide a list for everyone it would make it easier for everyone to identify. The purpose of this forum is to get new users comfortable with using Ubuntu Linux instead of MS Windows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are latest programs/hardware for Ubuntu 11.04?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are latest programs/hardware for Ubuntu 11.04?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wouldn't these be about the same as 10.x?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 5:09 AM PDT

"The purpose of this forum is to get new users comfortable with using Ubuntu Linux instead of MS Windows."

Can you share more about this? That is, what is making you uncomfortable?
Bob

Collapse -
Attention all new users to Ubuntu
by cnet_waites / April 30, 2011 2:10 PM PDT
The purpose of this forum is to ensure users have a easier time to work with Linux Ubuntu and to get new users to become familiar with Linux. Linux and Windows are different depending on what type of tasks you are trying to complete. Although Linux has evolved to become a more secure operating system then Windows, I have grown to love Linux and I would like to share my experiences with everyone. There are allot of concerns out there for new users for which programs and hardware that is compatible with Linux. My intentions for this forum is to provide new users with a list of software and hardware that will work with Linux and is compatible as well. Some of the programs that you use with Windows can work with Linux. Installing a program can be very trying in Linux just need to understand how to use the repositories and learn the source code, a good way to start is to first use the Ubuntu Software Center and the Sympatic Software Center which will provide you the programs you can use. I am still doing a little research on my own to make this forum a benefit for all users who would like a quick and easy method of search for the compatibility of hardware and software with the use of Ubuntu. In my earlier forums I have mentioned a few programs and software that have worked for me and I would really appreciate when users provide a posting that they can help me contribute to the forum by providing users tips and a list of compatible software and hardware for Ubuntu.
Collapse -
I couldn't find that on the Forum headings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 6:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Lets see...
by R_Head / May 4, 2011 8:56 AM PDT

"The purpose of this forum is to ensure users have a easier time to work with Linux Ubuntu"

Linux IS NOT Ubuntu, Ubuntu is one of the multiple Linux Distributions. There are even and perhaps better distros than Ubuntu and that is depending on what are you looking for and your level of knowledge.

IMHO, the forum is for Linux in General.

If you want Ubuntu help, try their forum instead.

No desire to start a flame war or nothing of that nature, but to be honest the post is pretty blunt.

Now to answer the question, most there are tons of software, good ones and no so good ones that are Open Source that are available to all Linux distribution. Due to the Nature of Incensing and Copyrights some of your Favorite MS software are not available on Linux.

Now, a lot of software the users take for granted a lot of Applications written for Windows made by other developers. Is up to them to which platform to support, so that is why some Apps are on Windows and not even on Apple and Linux.

Collapse -
Software for Linux besides using the Software Center
by cnet_waites / May 9, 2011 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Lets see...

Well the Linux forums don't explain which programs are compatible and which ones are not. For new users to Linux how would they know which Linux programs or software to use. I view the Ubuntu and Linux forums each day and I am still searching for programs that are compatible with Linux in a whole since Ubuntu and Linux don't provide a good resource for programs besides the Software center which wont even give you XBMC unless you go to the XBMC website to download it. I just want to know for users who have actively participated in the forum, which websites do you go to get software for Linux to include the drivers as well? It doesn't matter what distro you have just want to know some software sources for Linux besides the Software Center

Collapse -
I see...
by R_Head / May 10, 2011 8:26 AM PDT

You are treating Linux like Windows. Please do not. You do not go to Best Buy searching for a Box Set or an Executable that you download of the web.

If you have an Smart Phone is pretty much the same deal. Linux has an App Store already built in before Apple decided to call it that way.

In the Linux realm is called a Repository. All you need to do is search there, check the box and apply. It will load in your system with all the dependencies.

Due to the nature of Linux, there is no single program that works for all of them. There are a few, like Second Life just as an example. That Application does not install, just runs independently in your Home folder. Is that easy.

I used Ubuntu very little, I always go back to Mandriva.

As an example, it has what is called the MCC (Mandriva Control Center) all the maintenance is done there. It has a Software Center (Add and Remove Programs for MS users) with the exception the software comes to you instead of you after it.

What you need to know is the Equivalent software. For example, MS Office, use Open Office instead. Need an IM client, use Kopete or Pidgin. You want Firefox, check on the Software Center there is one there and many other browsers.

Is that easy.

Collapse -
The Search Will Still Continue
by cnet_waites / May 31, 2011 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I see...

Not everyone will want to use the equivalent software because it depends on the user and why should users should have to convert to equivalent software when they are already comfortable with the software they have been using already. If the software program is available in Linux why not use it why try an equivalency just to adapt to something you may or may not like. Software usage for Linux basically relies on the users themselves. I personally would not change the software I use especially if it's available for Linux. Now if the software you normally use is not available for Linux then yes, take the advice above and use the equivalent software from Linux. At least you will learn how to remove and install software on Linux distros.

Collapse -
Here is what I found
by R_Head / May 10, 2011 8:34 AM PDT

About XBMC

Linux Copy and Paste the following commands:

For Mandriva
urpmi xbmc
Or use the MCC and search for XBMC, is there, just loaded.

For Ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get updates
udo apt-get upgrade

For other Linux distros just follow the link:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Installing_XBMC_for_Linux

Collapse -
Made a Typo
by R_Head / May 10, 2011 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is what I found

About XBMCLinux Copy and Paste the following commands
For Ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I think you will find Mandriva easier to use.
Wink

Collapse -
Here nice page to find Linux programs
by GODhack / May 1, 2011 12:12 AM PDT
http://www.linuxalt.com/
And to install program on Linux you:
1) double check probably it is already installed? Many programs are installed by default on distros like Ubuntu
2) use package manager to mark program you want to install and apply.
Very easy, but very different from windows so little confusing.

Upgrade one distribution version to other means that you get all same programs just new major versions.
Like Firefox 3 -> 4.
Minor versions like Firefox 3.6.11->3.6.12 came with system updates.
Collapse -
Some suggestions to get you started
by 3rdalbum / July 11, 2011 11:08 AM PDT

The Ubuntu Software Center is your one-stop-shop for software. Just browsing around there will help a lot.

Collapse -
Suggestions for providing advice for Linux OS newbie
by cnet_waites / July 18, 2011 5:31 AM PDT

The Ubuntu Software Center may be the one stop shop for software and or something similar for other distros, but if I was newbie trying out Linux for the first time I would not know that. I still at times have a problem downloading some of the programs and installing software. This forum has helped me with most of my Linux issues. I may not like what most of forum responses explain but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect them for that. However, we can collectively make the Linux forum for CNET better by continuing to respond to user posts and providing continuous feedback for questions posted on CNET. I am no subject matter expert and I am too learning as well. I am providing comments based my experiences with the use of Linux distros so that newbies will not have the same issues I had to deal with previously. I would recommend someone to start an Linux forum for advance users through CNET.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2011 2:37 AM PDT

The Cnet forums tend to be more about discussions than support. You may wonder why that is. The reason is pretty easy. Look at the moderators and you find that most try to get the members to be more self supporting. Also, no moderator is paid.

In short you find support and discussion forums which these tend to lean to discussion as well as fishing lessons but no fish.

Some members flame out over that because they need support, step by steps and support.
Bob

Collapse -
Not really
by GODhack / July 19, 2011 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: You're right.

I always try to help, Wink still sometimes questions are not well formulated and etc.
On ex. sometimes people tell their windows version when they ask Linux help. That is not important at all of course. In other Linux forums almost everyone have at least some knowledge about Linux. Of course also there are more people with few years Linux usage experience in this forum I do not see many users of this kind.

Collapse -
Really!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really

I missed out on the other thing. Which is what?

These are MEMBER TO MEMBER forums. If a member picks up the gauntlet of support, then the forum becomes a support forum.

What some members have done (at their loss) is to demand support. That is best done when there is payment rendered.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!