TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What am I doing wrong........

I can't seem to get the TV Guide On Screen to work. Everytime I check the status of it's progress, it tells me "In Progress". This has been going on for two weeks.

Initially I set it up by entering my zip code, putting the country and then it asked if I wanted to use "Antenna" or "Cable Without Cable Box." What does this mean "Cable Without Cable Box?" Of course I have an HD Cable box, so why does it ask me cable without cable box? I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help!! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What am I doing wrong........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What am I doing wrong........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cable box

In reply to: What am I doing wrong........

It askes "cable without cable box" for those that just have regular cable packages in their homes, not HD or digital packages.

You may have to consult the owners manual and make sure the method you used to connect the cable box is correct for this application.
If you do not have the coax cable coming into the TV, it won't find a data stream to give it the TV guide info.
Why do you need it on your TV anyway, the cable box will have a TV guide.

Collapse -
my hookup

In reply to: cable box

I don't like the guide on the Scientific Atlanta HD box I have. When I pull pull up the guide, all the listings are the same color. Therefore while I am scrolling through the listings, the sports are not one color, movies another, and so forth. I know this might seem a bit picky, but I like the differentiation b/t the different types of programs.

So to my hookup. I have my cable coming from the wall, to my Scientific Atlanta HD box, then to the back of my TV. So what you're saying is that it won't work with it hooked up this way? I would have to have the cable connected straight from the wall to the back of my TV?

Collapse -
TVGOS

In reply to: my hookup

Oh, and just another side note, I don't have anything connected to my TV such as a DVR, etc......, just my cable HD box.

Collapse -
Hmmm

In reply to: TVGOS

With cable connected through the cable box to the TV, it might work, but the cable box is grabbing the signal first, so maybe not.

You may find somewhere in the TV instructions, that you need a direct cable feed for the tv to receive the TV guide information. This would require a splitter, cable output from the wall into 2 way splitter, one feed to cable box and other to TV.
Cable box should be connected to TV via HDMI or other higher quality connections anyway.
If the TV asked you if you were using a cable box, I have to guess that it somehow manages to get the right guide for your area.
You may want to enlighten us with the make and model of your TV, that would help, someone here may have the same set or sell it and know it
's workings.

Collapse -
TVGOS

In reply to: Hmmm

Thanks for responding to my questions!

I have a Panasonic TH-50PX600U. As said earlier, the only thing connected to my TV is the Scientific Atlanta HD cable box.

That does make sense that I would need the coax cable to be connected to my TV. It is presently connected with the coax cable from the wall to the HD cable box, then a DVI to HDMI cable to the back of my TV, which may not get the signal needed to download the necessary info I need for TVGOS due to the DVI to HDMI cable.

Now with that being said, if I were to use a splitter to connect the coax cable to the back of the HD box and another directly to the back of my TV, would I lose any picture quality due to splitting the signal? Second, would the coax cable connected directly to the back of the TV override the DVI to HDMI cable given that the TV has two of the same input signals from separate sources?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
That helps

In reply to: TVGOS

It's too late to go looking for the on line manual for your tv, but I think you have clarified one part. Cable in to the cable box, then out to the TV via DVI/HDMI. The only way the TV is going to get a TV guide, is from the Cable from your wall. HDMI/DVI are just delivering digital picture, no other information. Your TV doesn't know if it's a cable box, satellite or DVD player plugged in there, just a picture comes in there. So yes you definatly need a coaxial connection. As long as your cable feed is strong enough, you should not notice any issues with splitting the signal. A typical splitter (2 way) results in a loss of 3.5dB on each output. In most areas you are supposed to get around 10dB of input from the road. As long as you are still in the plus side by the time the signal reaches your TV, picture should be fine.

Collapse -
Plasma Picture Setting

In reply to: That helps

As described above, I wanted to use the TVGOS with my Panasonic Plasma TV. I used a splitter to go to my HD box and other cable directly to the back of my TV in order for the TVGOS to work.

Anyway, I decided against the TVGOS and went back to my original setup with the coax to the HD box and DVI to HDMI to my TV. But now, it seems as though the HD channels aren't as colorful as I remembered it to be. I checked the Picture settings and they are as I had set them before the TVGOS setup. Is it possible that something was reset and the HD is not coming in? Could my HD box be working just as a normal box with standard definition instead of HD? I'm not sure if it's my imagination or something really did happen to the HD, but the picture doesn't seem as vibrant as I remembered it.

If anyone has had experience with this or an explanation, please post your thoughts. Thanks!!

Collapse -
material...

In reply to: Plasma Picture Setting

could it possibly be just the channel or material you are watching at the moment? Not all HD channels look great all the time, usually the test is either a demo HD channel, PBS, or discovery channel HD. Those channels almost always deliver great pictures.

You didn't need to disconnect the DVI/HDMI cable when adding the splitter, but if you did, you may need to look at the menu from the cable box and confirm all the settings on it are OK. Depending on the model of cable box, there is a hidden set up that lets you tell the box which outputs your TV can accept.

Collapse -
Settings

In reply to: material...

No, I didn't disconnect the DVI to HDMI connection to my TV. I just used the splitter in order to have the coax to directly to the back of my TV for the TVGOS. At this time I have found that if I hit Vol+, Vol-, and Info buttons at the same time on my Scientific Atlanta HD box. It rebooted and it looks like my vibrant colors are now back. Could this be my imagination? I don't know but it looks like it's back to normal.

Collapse -
reboot

In reply to: Settings

A reboot could be all it needed, digital cable and satellite boxes are annoying for that very reason (plus a few others) They can lock up, or have other glitches much like a computer, and need to be shut down and re started.

Collapse -
What cable without box means

In reply to: What am I doing wrong........

Cable without box means exactly that (you have cable coming directly out of the wall and into your TV) versus going thru a cable box before you get to your TV. The difference is the where the channel tuning is done:

When you come out of the wall and go directly in to your TV, your tuner built in your TV changes the channels (usually with regular cable)

When you come out of the wall and go thru a cable box the cable box recieves a mass of digital signals and then it tunes the station and passes it on to your TV (usually with digital cable)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.