Cameras forum

General discussion

What about CCD and lens troubles on Nikon D200?

I have heard talks about picture trouble when shooting at 400-(and higher)speed and about problems in getting the right type of (Nikon) lens in order to achieve good/high quality pictures. I have not seen any comments anywhere on these problems. From Nikon there is only a deadly silence. I understand that there is irritation in the US for poor delivery capacity. In Europe there is practically no delivery at all - perhaps in April in a near future. As an old Nikon fan I am worried. My next camera was planned to be a D200 but now I am not so shure about this decision. Is there anyone out there, who has any information on this matter????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What about CCD and lens troubles on Nikon D200?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What about CCD and lens troubles on Nikon D200?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm sure you know that Nikon has just announced that

In reply to: What about CCD and lens troubles on Nikon D200?

they are phasing out their film cameras. It seems like Nikon isn't doing all that well.

Collapse -
This might give you

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: This might give you

Thanks a lot for your tip! It?s an interesting site!

Collapse -
Nikon D200

I've seen numerous reports including images allegedly taken on D200s, including a comparison with Canon. It appears to be a superb camera in all respects. But I am waiting for test reports by people who have to make a living by defending their reputations -- Shutterbug, Pop Photo, etc.

As for one comment about Nikon being in trouble as evidenced by their dropping 35mm film cameras, they just introduced the new F6 and will continue to produce and sell the rock-solid FM3. They have dropped the N55, etc., autofocus 35mm cameras because they are no longer tha next step up for previous PHD (push here, dummy) cameras. That road leads to D50s and D70s.

Base on more than half a century of Nikons, I'd predict they either have the D200 right or will make it that way. Can't get one? Maybe that speaks to the demand side of the equation.

Alan

Collapse -
Nikon D200 Banding Problems

One of the best authorities on digital photography, Ken Rockwell, recently posted a detailed discussion of the issue of "banding" or fine parallel lines on Nikon D200 images. The link is below. In a few words, the issue seems to manifest itself only when images contain large over-exposed or "blown out" areas -- like shooting an indoor scene with a window with bright outside light dominating the image. In other words, if you get the exposure even in the ball park, there's no problem. If you can make your camera do this, Rockwell reports Nikon will fix it promptly.
Alan in Illinois

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200-banding.htm

Collapse -
Damned by faint praise.

In reply to: Nikon D200 Banding Problems

I noted the part where he said these lines were obscured by the noise above an ISO of 400. That's not much reassurance. If you don't see the lines, you'll see noise?

I don't see this kind of noise on my Canon 20D even at 1600.

Collapse -
Banding in Canon 5D

In reply to: Nikon D200 Banding Problems

This banding is by no means unique to the Nikon D200. As the link provided shows even the Canon 5D displays this artifact. This seems to have been forgotten somewhere.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page25.asp

The only difference with the D200 appears to be a belated response by Nikon as to the bandings cause and some rightfully expressed hysteria as to how and why so many people have spent good money only to experience this issue in a camera that most expected to be closer to perfect.

The moral of the story? No mass produced item is without initial issues. The D70 had it; the Canon 10D and 20D had them. It's not the end of the world as these issues get sorted out and life goes on.

The big question is has Nikon done all it can to relay our fears that the D200 is now problem free.

Collapse -
CCD troubles OK - but how is it with the lens problems?

I read all your replies to my question (thanks by the way!!) and checked out the different sites mentioned. Nikon has problems, no doubt. No one mentions anything about lens problems. I mean problems getting Nikon 35mm-format lenses working OK with the D200. Any comments on that????

Collapse -
D200 lens propblems

In reply to: CCD troubles OK - but how is it with the lens problems?

First, let me caveat my remarks by saying I am waiting for my D200. I have handled onel shot pictures with it and taken them home on my CF card. But I am not shooting with one every day yet. And I fully accept that Canon produces a fine camera and there are people as loyal to Canon as to Nikon.

But I am unaware of any problems with any lenses on the Nikon except some reported difficulties with Sigma lenses with HSM focusing -- and apparently that issue has been resolved.

The story may concern the fact that Nikon is -- as are other makers -- making some lenses specifically for their digital cameras that will not provide an image that will cover the larger 35mm frame -- you cannot switch them between your film and digital Nikons.

I note that the D200 and D2X are both capable of backward compatability with Nikon lenses decades old now -- the AIS mount lenses that do not couple with the internal exposure meters by mechanical linkages, but rather "talk" to the camera via electronic connections, telling the camera what their maximum aperature is. These lenses will work on the D200 and D2X. As you move the aperature ring (remember those!), the shutter speed changes. This feature works only with AIS and newer lenses. But you can put a Nikon lens from your first "F" from half a century ago and use it in a manual mode. Here's my only swipe at Canon -- they have had no fewer than three lens mounts during that same time, with none even being able to mount the lenses from another.

Both Canon and Nikon make superb optics. If you have no legacy of older lenses, either camera will take superb photos and even the bottom of the digital genre for both -- the D50 and the Rebel are almost always limited by the level of the photographers skills vice inherent camera capability.

Bottom Line: Nikon lenses will work well on a D200.
Alan

Collapse -
The problem with the limited lenses is that they will be

In reply to: D200 lens propblems

worthless when the DSLRs incorporate full frame sensors. Thus, the limited lenses that Canon makes, for example, will only work on two models; the Rebel and the 20D. Full frame sensors will surely move down into the lower price categories, and will obsolete the limited lenses.

Collapse -
The lens problems I heard of

In reply to: D200 lens propblems

had nothing to do with full frame CCD:s or specially designed lenses for Nikon DSLR. There was trouble getting sharp images with 35mm-format lenses on the DSLR-cameras.

Collapse -
35mm lenses on digital

In reply to: The lens problems I heard of

There has been some of that discussion. One problem is light striking digital chips at very "flat" amgles versus more or less vertically or directly straight on. The DX lenses are designed with the angle of the light striking the CCD or CMOS in mind. This was never a problem with film. Most lenses that will cover a 35mm frame will very easily cover a smaller chip, as the smaller chip represents the "sweet spot" in the middle, and excludes the often slightly less sharp peripheral rays. Alan in Illinois

Collapse -
Thanks, Alan!

In reply to: 35mm lenses on digital

Nice to meet someone with knowledge and answers! I was confused about this talk, since, as you point out, 35mm lenses are designed to cover a much larger area than the CCD. There should be no problems, as far as I could imagine. The question pops up since I have a some ''oldies'', which I have been very happy with. What is your opinion of the DX-lenses in general in regard quality? (If it?s possible to give an answer to such a general question...) Rolf in Sweden

Collapse -
Yes!

In reply to: Thanks, Alan!

You pretty much get what you pay for in lenses.
Also you have the advantage of a company who has made the same lense mount for many years making them more valuable. Unlike Canon that changes mounts with just about every model. That's why Canons don't hold their market value as well.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.