Computer Help forum

General discussion

What about buying a friends old computer when they update?

by bill5w5w / March 1, 2008 7:05 AM PST

I have had good luck getting computers from my friends that buld there own. This way it is cheaper and also to upgrade some parts without buying a whole new system. With computers from HP Dell etc. most items are part of the motherboard and can't be changed or upgraded. Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What about buying a friends old computer when they update?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What about buying a friends old computer when they update?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wise decision
by welrdelr / March 2, 2008 3:41 AM PST

You can teach yourself more wihtout having to touch your wallet too much.

Collapse -
Asses the user and computer parts

I work as the all-around IT guy in a company of 25 computer users. When friends ask me about buying somebody else's computer, I ask them a few basic questions:

1. WHEN WAS THE COMPUTER BOUGHT/ASSEMBLES BY THE SELLER/USER? Bear in mind that what you are buying is only the remaining life of the computer. Assuming that your friend has purchased only best-of-breed parts (either with international quality certifications, several years of warranty, or product awards by reputable computer magazines), I'd say the life of a brand new computer should be 4 to 5 years. Since it's better to be conservative, assume the computer to last only four years. If the computer has been bought 2 years ago, then logically you'd have only 2 years left to use it. Sorry to be stating the obvious, but I often see people buying computers at a "good price" (say a fourth of the original price) when in fact, what they're buying is already towards the end of its estimated useful life.

2. ARE THE PARTS BEST-OF-BREED OR LOW END? If the parts are low-end, assume that the life of the computer to be only 3 years. From there, compute the remaining useful life.

3. DO YOU KNOW THE USER? If you know that the seller/user takes good care of his computer (like if he/she uses a surge protector, uses a UPS, doesn't move the computer while it's turned on, etc.) then you'll be more certain to get the maximum value out of what you're buying.

Buying from someone you don't know, increases the risk of buying a mishandled computer. If I'll be buying from an unknown source, I'd reduce the value to about 2/3 of my initial computation (brand-new value minus used life).

4. IN THE EVENT OF MALFUNCTION, WILL THERE STILL BE REPLACEMENT PARTS? Specially when it comes to memory, you may not be able to find an SDRAM replacement a year or two from now. So, why buy a cheap computer that you can't repair?

If you can have a copy of the invoice of the computer being sold, that would be the best gauge of value. Otherwise, have the seller write down the specs of the major parts. Afterwards, show the list to some IT-savvy friend of yours to see how durable the parts are. You're friend will most likely know when the parts came out in the market thus giving you a good estimate of when the computer was bought or assembled.

Collapse -
Buy from your friend
by victor_thai / April 12, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

A computer is outdated the time you open the box just like a car driven out of the dealership is worth $2k less. Any system that is 2 years old is considered free. All parts in a computer can be changed easily so there is no need to worry about buying a lemon. The only thing to worry about is your friendship. Sure you can pay top dollars and feel cheated or vice versa.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?