Question

what a.v. receiver should i get

so first off, i don't have a huge budget for this a.v. reciever but i do have some money for it. . For those of you who are major audiophiles i am not planning on getting the best speakers in the world for it and i don't want it to be a discussion on speakers... i am getting the bose acoustimass 10 (please refrain from having this be about my speakers. i know bose gets a bad rep). i just can't figure out what a.v. receiver to get with it.
i would like to keep under 500 dollars if i can and basically i want it to have good sound quality, the better it looks the better, and i like the feature on the pioneer vsx 1020-k that i can connect my phone or my laptop to it through blue tooth (which is a huge feature that i like since that is where all my music is stored) however there is also the 1120 version i believe but i don't really see much of a difference between the 2 except for a few things and want peoples advice on if it is worth the extra money. also any other suggestions would be appreciated

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: what a.v. receiver should i get
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: what a.v. receiver should i get
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Thoughts

There are receivers in that budget made by Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and a few others. Look in the review section to read about them. Some receivers have built-in iPod connections. For some reason on Yamaha, you need to buy an additional $100 connector. I would confirm that those Bose speakers will connect to the traditional speaker connections on the receivers before you buy one. My in-laws have complete Bose systems and the speakers have proprietary connections that only connect to Bose.

- Collapse -
Bose connections

Definitely make sure Bose uses regular L/R speaker connections and not some proprietary one like Dan said before you buy.

I like Onkyo and Denon the best, with Onkyo giving you a better bang for your buck. I think Onkyo makes a network capable receiver in the $500 range (hard-wired ethrenet connection). The model numbers for the network capable ones are like TX-NRXXX instead of TX-SRXXX.

- Collapse -
Answer
what a.v. receiver should i get

AVR's are like computers -- you're going to keep it for a while. When people ask me about buying a receiver or a computer, I always ask "Do you want to grow into it or grow out of it?" (without breaking a budget).
I'm partial to Pioneer (except for Onkyo HTIB setups) as I believe you get more bang for the buck. A purchase price is not just because of the brand).
You may want to check the new 2011 Pioneer models if you have any Apple devices that you want to use with the receiver.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-821-K.
It looks like you have to purchase an optional attachment for bluetooth.
If upconverting to 1080p for other than blue ray, you may want to look at the next higher model (also needs optional bluetooth attachment).
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-921-K

It appears that Bose has your preference but personally I believe they're ovepriced. If small speaker size or room size is important then Bose is the way to go. Personally, I'd check for both professional and end user reviews.
It looks like that although Bose uses a different wiring system (one cable - actually 5 in 1 - from the power module to the receiver and five cables from the module to the speakers) the one cable would connect to a "standard" AVR.

- Collapse -
Answer
a few more questions

thanks for the replies. ok, so i have been doing some research and i think i am going to change what i am going to get.
so as of right now i am looking at orb audio with a dennon avr 2112ci receiver but i am having a problem trying to decide what sub to get. orbaudio offers an 8 inch sub but i think want something bigger and have looked at the SVS PC12-NSD but its a whopping 700 dollars + about 100 shipping. does anyone know if it would be better to get 2 sub woofers from orb audio (which would come to about the same price but without the shipping cost)? any other thoughts or suggestions? thank you very much in advanced.

- Collapse -
Sub

Why not get a sub that's matched to your speakers. You can get a sub that's too big for the speakers you will use.

- Collapse -
Subwoofer questions

You can get real decent subs for $400 or less. It's not just the subwoofer speaker size but the frequency response, continous power (not just peak power), the front channel speaker capabilities, etc.
Matching speakers can be terrific -- I kind of piecemeal things over the years and I;m satisfied with my sound. It's your call.
Try to find a web store that has free shipping and no tax.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RW10DB/Klipsch-Reference-Series-RW-10d.html?tp=187

If you want to get below 28Hz in the frequency response -- if you can find one at least 23Hz -- that's better, of course but then you may have to spend that 700 bucks.

CNET Forums