HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

what a shame

by oldie and goody / November 14, 2010 2:35 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what a shame
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what a shame
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) As usual.
by EdHannigan / November 14, 2010 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: what a shame
Collapse -
jonah and his crew?
by jonah jones / November 14, 2010 3:44 AM PST

does that make me captain?

Collapse -
nope
by oldie and goody / November 14, 2010 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: jonah and his crew?

what that makes you is not for public consumption.

Collapse -
Just back from church
by JP Bill / November 14, 2010 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: nope

on the net spewing?

Collapse -
Agreed, all THREE of them ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 14, 2010 5:45 AM PST

think they are real wits but all three of them are only half right.

Collapse -
From my link
by JP Bill / November 14, 2010 5:54 AM PST
?Where did you get that writing style of yours? It annoys the hell out of me ... I ask you please, go to your new neighbourhood, get me a gun with the serial number filed off, give it to me, I will gladly pull the trigger and shoot you.?

Reminded me of your response to me when I responded to this post by you I recall you were so upset you used the term "odd" twice

I could almost picture the spittle on your keyboard.
Collapse -
Since the Mods, when alerted ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 18, 2010 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: From my link

aren't concerned about threats and to use some of your own words, I'll GLADLY get "a gun with the serial number filed off" and "will gladly pull the trigger and shoot you".

Let's see if the "Mods" act any faster on this post as I will not take threats idly.

Collapse -
I will not take threats idly.
by JP Bill / November 18, 2010 11:50 PM PST

I do...

AND it wasn't a threat.

Collapse -
Could this group
by oldie and goody / November 14, 2010 5:55 AM PST

be part of the reason a whole bunch of old posters never come here anymore?

Collapse -
Yes there is a shame
by Roger NC / November 14, 2010 12:04 PM PST

but I seriously doubt we agree exactly on what, who, when, where, and how.

All in all, it has gone much better since the stickies were removed and all the extra rules were defaulted back to general forum policy than many expected.

Oddly, it seems to have gotten worse since the election is over. Given the partisan nature of many here, it wouldn't have been a surprise for nastiness to have come out in the last few days before the US election.

Sadly, although we made it through that point with only a few extremist posts, since then the sad old pattern, the same accusations, the same complaints, and the same battle-lines are reemerging. And everyone is always sure those they disagree with are at fault.

Tragically, is seems there is nothing new under the sun.

Collapse -
amazing the
by oldie and goody / November 14, 2010 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Yes there is a shame

blinders you wear must be very strong. GoodBye

Collapse -
Blinders?
by Roger NC / November 16, 2010 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: amazing the

I only pointed out that we probably disagree.

Then I pointed out it seems to be the same old groups, and the same old attacks.

Collapse -
I think she was referring to a certain group...
by EdHannigan / November 16, 2010 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: Blinders?

of three individuals.

Collapse -
Give it up Ed.
by JP Bill / November 16, 2010 10:36 AM PST

or I'll start referring to a certain group of 3 individuals

Collapse -
(NT) Goodbye?
by Roger NC / November 16, 2010 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: amazing the
Collapse -
that's because
by James Denison / November 14, 2010 1:38 PM PST

both sides realized the election wouldn't solve anything, just create a stalemate established till 2012 which is when things will really heat up.

Collapse -
If it gets worse than 2008 and 2004
by Roger NC / November 16, 2010 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: that's because

the PTB will probably close us down completely.

Collapse -
Maybe if the Mods...
by EdHannigan / November 15, 2010 12:20 AM PST

would put a stop to stalking/trolling instead of ignoring it or worse, abetting it, hmmmm? I don't think it has anything to do with the election.

Collapse -
I mostly agree, except that it seems
by drpruner / November 15, 2010 9:42 AM PST

to be the same couple of groups that get together to bash each other- sado-maso, maybe? Happy
Don't think anyone's politics are connected with it except for use as a necessary starting point.

If I said both sets were "knee-jerk" posters would each side say of the other, "Yes, but you're half right!" ?

Collapse -
You are overlooking the distinct probabililty..
by EdHannigan / November 15, 2010 10:41 AM PST

that one "side" is mostly wrong and the other "side" is mostly right. In the real world things rarely balance out equally.

Collapse -
Overlooking possibilities
by Roger NC / November 16, 2010 7:06 AM PST

but everyone things someone is mostly wrong and mostly right.

And most of the arguments are things that everyone never agrees to the same standard, so it's not so easy to say one is more right than the other.

In fact, it's much more complex than that even, since even those that agree on many points never agree on all points. So for every point the lines move, and under those conditions, assigning sides of mostly wrong and mostly right is going to always be arbitrary and according to the perceptions of the one drawing the lines.

But probably every individual will pretty much agree on one thing, that those that disagree with him/her are in the mostly wrong group. The next step for some, as often evidenced in SE, is the demeaning of everyone the individual disagrees with starts.

Collapse -
What's a shame....
by C1ay / November 17, 2010 2:02 AM PST

is the change in the regulars here over time. When I joined SE it was at Ziff Davis and we had several dozen regular daily posters and several dozen regular passers-by. We had very heated political discussions and we all came back everyday. I think nearly all the mods of that era are gone now and as they've changed over time most of the regular visitors have left as well. The regular population seems to have dwindled so low at this point that the forum probably just generate the revenue to maintain it. The PTB should look at the traffic they used to have compared to now. What worked then that doesn't work now. Then again, maybe they don't care and this place is headed for a dead end train wreck anyhow.

Collapse -
Possibly some valid points
by Roger NC / November 17, 2010 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: What's a shame....

But change is inevitable, I came probably much later than you, and it's changed a lot.

I remember the heated discussions, then I remember it got more personally insulting gradually over time.

Do you think it hasn't been more "free" since the removal of the stickies and their restrictions?

I'm sure you feel discriminated against at some points, seems everyone does.

We have lost some mods and members since I been here also. Some left over differences, (bluntly) some were banned for life, others seem to have been taken out by circumstances outside of Speakeasy. But no matter why they left (the voluntary ones) they seem to choose not to return, or I think at least most choose. There are probably ones that can't, or can't easily anyway.

The members changed, the debates changed, and offended ones left.

Sadly, it seems to me that internet discourse invites rudeness. There have been reports of the same from studies by people that supposedly know what they're studying and saying.

Collapse -
No
by C1ay / November 17, 2010 4:16 PM PST

I don't feel particularly discriminated against at all. It's a forum I joined long ago for the sake of finding others to argue with and I still get that to some degree. It's just that a lot of the others that came here for the same reason don't come here anymore. The staff and the rules have changed and it doesn't have that same 'cafe' atmosphere it used to have. In the end we lost much of the staff and the regulars from that era. Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.