Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Whales are gawkers?

by EdHannigan / July 24, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Drive past a car accident, everybody slows down to look. Tell a toddler, "Don't touch that," and of course he or she does.
A U.S. Coast Guard ship assists in a 2005 attempt to disentangle a right whale from fishing gear.

Well, North Atlantic right whales are the same way.

Marine scientists say several right whales are struck and killed each year by commercial ships passing through their feeding grounds.

But when researchers blasted warning noises from ships to scare the whales away, the lumbering giants instead swam to the surface to see what was going on -- a response that put them in greater danger. Scientists found the animals are either so used to loud sounds, or so curious about them, that the noises apparently do the opposite of warning them.

Natural selection?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whales are gawkers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whales are gawkers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whales have different vocal and hearing
by drpruner / July 24, 2008 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Whales are gawkers?

responses. Perhaps there's an overtone of the ship's horn that has meaning for them. Unintended consequences.

Collapse -
You would htink tehy would learn....
by EdHannigan / July 24, 2008 9:38 PM PDT

"Don't go toward that noise. That's how gran'paw bought it!"

I thought whales were highly intelligent. Guess not.

Collapse -
Fish are intelligent..they're in school
by JP Bill / July 24, 2008 9:45 PM PDT

Whales are in pods.

Collapse -
I'll admit you know more...
by EdHannigan / July 24, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

about fishing than I do.

Collapse -
Everyone knows more about fishing than you do.
by JP Bill / July 24, 2008 10:22 PM PDT

But you keep trying.

Collapse -
Well maybe you could teach me...
by EdHannigan / July 25, 2008 1:15 AM PDT

You're an expert with a lot of experience after all.

Collapse -
Here's one tip
by JP Bill / July 25, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

Don't wait 2 + hours before you reel them in

Someone makes a post at 5:22..... you respond at 8:15.....that's waaaay too long.

Collapse -
(NT) You got both tires pumped up?
by critic411 / July 25, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Don't disturb Grasshopper.
by JP Bill / July 25, 2008 1:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Perhaps you and Ed could invest in a tandem bike
by JP Bill / July 25, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

OR maybe you/he already have one

Collapse -
Not at bad idea.
by critic411 / July 25, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

You can borrow it when your buddy gets out.

Collapse -
Curiosity killed the... whale ?
by grimgraphix / July 25, 2008 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Whales are gawkers?

The other night as I was driving home, a white tail deer started to step out onto the road in front of me. I slowed down and honked the horn, which scared the animal off.

One would think that if an animal is drawn to explore a new sound that its' behavior might go towards supporting the idea the animal is more, rather than less intelligent. The fact that it's own curiosity may end up killing it is unfortunate.

Let us hope the same does not happen to us, when the scientists turn the CERN supercollider experiment up to full power in an attempt to understand the building blocks of the universe. (grin)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?