General discussion

Western Digital-500GB USB 3.0/2.0---5,400 or 7,200 RPM?

Hello,
I've been looking at a Western Digital - My Passport Essential 500GB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive. What is the speed of this drive (5,400 or 7,400 RPM) and does it make a big difference? I have looked everywhere for this spec. My primary purpose is save my finished audio and video projects to an external drive. Would this be a well recommended drive, since I would like to have two, to be on the safer side?
Thanks,
Eric

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Western Digital-500GB USB 3.0/2.0---5,400 or 7,200 RPM?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Western Digital-500GB USB 3.0/2.0---5,400 or 7,200 RPM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Have a link to the drive you want feedback on ?
- Collapse -
My guess is that it is a 5400.

Will it make a difference? I would say yes but I don't think it's that much faster that you could notice. Your computer already have usb3 support? Although it is backward compatible to usb2.

CNET Forums

Forum Info