Storage forum

General discussion

Western Digital 500GB Install Guide?

Hello, I just purchased a new HD (Western Digital, 500GB), but it arrived without an installation guide... When I try to copy something to it, it doesnt always work... I tried formatting it, but it didnt help... I need that guide or a tip to how to properly install it...

Thanx in advance Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Western Digital 500GB Install Guide?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Western Digital 500GB Install Guide?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info please

In reply to: Western Digital 500GB Install Guide?

Does your computer have the latest system BIOS installed?
Does your computer have the latest motherboard drivers installed (download from computer maker)?

What is the model name of the external drive?
Did you format it with NTFS (don't use FAT32)?

WD installation guides here:
http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/installation.asp

Collapse -

In reply to: more info please

Yes, I've got the latest drives and all...
Model name? Is this it? <b>WD 5000KS External USB Device</b>?
On the packaging it says "MyPicture Book, External Hard Drive 500GB Essential Edition USB 2.0 Interface"

Collapse -
Model

In reply to: Reply

Oh, found the model:
WD5000C032

Collapse -
Try rear USB ports

Try attaching it to the rear ports on your desktop. Then go in to DISK MANAGEMENT and format the drive with NTFS. Successful format?

Collapse -
(NT) Visit WD support and get the WDtools or similar

Collapse -
Didnt help

In reply to: Visit WD support and get the WDtools or similar

Hello, I did try connecting it to the rear ports/reformatting it and contacted the WD support... In the first case, nothing helped. In the second - WD, although claim to respond within 24 hours, still havent replied after 4 days...

Still looking for solution.. Please help Sad

Collapse -
Anyone, please?

Anyone, please?

Collapse -
So you power up the new HDD, plug it into a USB port and

In reply to: Anyone, please?

then what happens ?

Drive is spining up ...right ?

Drive is recognized by your system ?

Keep in mind until it's partitioned and formatted..Explorer cannot 'see it'.

If it doesn't work on your PC...can you try it on another PC ??

VAPCMD

Collapse -

In reply to: So you power up the new HDD, plug it into a USB port and

The drive is spinning...
The drive is formated (NTFS)...
The drive is recognised by the system...
The drive does work on my older pc with USB1.1, but slower...

The drive does work at times, after a number of tries, but its not normal... this is not why i spent so much money for a drive to malfunction most of the times... ://

Collapse -

Finally, after over a week of waiting Igot a response from Western Figital Support and it was greatly unhelpful to say the least:

We apologize for the delay in responding to you. Due to heavy volume, we are currently beyond our normal turnaround of 1 business day.

We realize that some of you may have already found the answers to your questions. In an effort to respond to your needs more efficiently, please do one of the following:

If you have already found the answers to your questions and DO NOT REQUIRE a response from us, please DO NOT REPLY to this email.

If you have not found the answer(s) to your question(s) and DO REQUIRE a response from us, please REPLY to this email. In your reply, you can just state that you still need an answer to your questions. If you do not respond to this email, we will assume that you do not require a response from us.

I just hope im not gonna have to wait another week for another response :/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.