PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Western digital 250GB drive problems.

W2K SP4 ASUS P4B533 MOBO - current BIOS and MOBO drivers. MOBO supports LBA drives > 137GB.

I replaced a secondary Master Maxtor with a new WD 250GB also as secondary master (on same cable with CDRW). I used Partition Magic 8.0 to format the 250G as two partitions of approximately 125G (D (125G) & F (118.1G)). The primary drive is a Maxtor 80G as C (12G) and E (61G). They are formatted as NTFS.

The formatting of D went without incident. The formatting of F encountered cluster errors of about 25% of that partition yielding approx. 86G free space, with the remainder showing up as used (assumed locked out).

In an attempt to decide what the problem was I tried to load the Western Digital windows diagnostics (version 11.1) and encountered the following error (repeatedly).

ERROR - The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005), Click on OK to terminate the application.

I used both the CDROM version and downloaded one from the web site.

Any thoughts on the load error for the diagnostics?

I have built a diagnostics floppy but have not yet run the diagnostics from the floppy. Any other general ideas / thoughts would be appreciated. I want to run the diagnostics before returning the drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Western digital 250GB drive problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Western digital 250GB drive problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Definitely run the floppy version. I had

In reply to: Western digital 250GB drive problems.

one [from floppy]give the same message and WD immediately sent me an RMA number to get the drive replaced [repaired]. Apparently that is a failure indication to them in some cases.

Collapse -
Re: Definitely run the floppy version. I had

In reply to: Definitely run the floppy version. I had

FYI - I was able tor resolve both problems but it was an interesting set of conditions.

1. Could not use partition magic as there was a registry value that needed setting for LBA > 137 support and the WD tools did it. PM 8.0 did not.

2. I had a windows temp file defined on one of the partitions I was trying to create, which either PM 8.0 or some other routine was accessing while I was trying to do the partition.

3. I deleted the partitions and started from scratch using the WD tools and everything worked including the install of the tools.

Still a bit confused but it worked, without errors. I have not yet checked to see if there is an upgrade for PM 8.0.

Collapse -
Re: Western digital 250GB drive problems.

In reply to: Western digital 250GB drive problems.

Here's my personal opinion toward extremely large hard drives exceding 160 gig and more, get a good pci controller card that supports the drives with those large volumes. If you bought a retail box from a store or wherever being said western digital you would see the recomendation on the box itself.

Not saying all motherboards will or won't support large drives but untill the mainstream is this computer come's with a 200 or 250 gig drive it will save a lot of headaches.

Plus it's a cheap way to add 4 more hard drives to a computer and on older computers you will speed up the ata speed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.