Computer Help forum

General discussion

Western dig. hard drive

I have some of the same problems that mailbox had in june. I found the below site at WD for alternate jumper settings. click jumper settings.
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

My new WD HD is 80G with 8mg cashe. I have an Asus P2-99 MB with a P111 450mhz and 512 for the ram running with Win ME. It was only when I changed the hd jumpers to cover 3-4 and 5-6 that my bios recognized the full 80g or so it states.. My bios also recognizes the hd as a master to a slave ( cover 1-2, 5-6) and as a slave itself (cover 1-2,3-4).
The boot up recogizes the new drive as 80g (or so it states) all the way around, but fdisk recognizes only 32 gigs. The warning when using alternate jumper settings is "a loss of capacity" because it states the reason for the alternate change is because "the drive capacity is larger than what the system can support".

Is there anything I can do?
thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Western dig. hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Western dig. hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Western dig. hard drive

In reply to: Western dig. hard drive

If you set the jumpers to slave then I'll write that's INCORRECT for use on 80 conductor IDE cables. At AT66 and up speeds the newer 80 conductor cables use CABLE SELECT and slave is set by which connector you plug in.

Your post writes much, but doesn't tell if you set it up proper or used FDISK to create a partition then format it. I can't tell what your issue is.

Bob

Collapse -

Did you get a newer FDISK from Microsoft?

Can you share the output of FDISK /STATUS?

You don't want to use the drive limit jumper setting.

Bob

Collapse -
Can you get an upodated BIOS for the mobo???

How are you using the drive?? Master with no slave [with WD that is NO JUMPER [store the jumper horizontally]. Otherwise jumper as Master with a slave on the same IDE cable [if that is so]. or use CS [cable select] and the 80 conductor cable that you got with the drive. The end connector is Master for CS and the middle connector is Slave.

What Operating system???

If XP used to format it it only allows a 32 MB FAT partiton, but you can make two partitions and the rest of the drive on the third partition. If you use NTFS you can make it one big partition.

Using FDISK from a boot floppy should allow you to make the entire drive one partiton. UNLESS you have the BIOS limitation, which means go to ASUS's site and get updated BIOS.

You can format the drive using the overlay program from the floppy from WD to get around the BIOS. But then it must be the Boot drive, because when formatted with the WD disk a FAT32 drive can't read it if the new drive is a slave.

If you use the WD format, and later get a new computer and want to use the drive as a slave, remember that you will have to remove the WD format and reformat the drive.

Collapse -

Using Win ME.
My problem. My computer dosen't recognize my new HD set alone with no jumper. My machine freezes up and refuses to budge. When I set the jumpers to alternate settings per Western Digital, the bios on boot up see's the drive as an 80g. But when I try to fdisk to set up a partition and then format, fdisk see's only 32gigs. It will let me set a partition and format but only as a 32 gig HD. I went to Asus and downloaded the dos file AFLASH, but their instructions are to unzip the file in dos. I don't know how to unzip in dos. When I unzip in windows and try to install the .exe, through the DOS prompt without windows running or with the new drive alone, a message reads I have missing files on the floppy. I can live with 32 megs for the time, but I would like to have 80.
thanks again,

Collapse -
Follow their instructions...

In reply to: Re: Western dig. hard drive

"nstalling the new drive as the secondary (slave) drive:
If you are connecting your drive as the secondary drive on the cable with another IDE drive, there is no need to change the jumper pin on the drive. Jumper the other IDE drive as Cable Select. Connect the drive to the gray connector in the middle of the cable and other IDE drive to the black connector located at the end of the cable."

The setting I read in your post looks incorrect to me.

You must try the newer FDISK from Microsoft to delete, then create the partition on the new drive.

Best of luck,

Please supply the output of FDISK /STATUS.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Follow their instructions...

In reply to: Follow their instructions...

Thanks for the help. Once I figured how to update the bios with AFLASH, the setup went smoothly, along with fdisk and format. My machine now recognizes a little over 76 gigs. Thanks to everyone who helped.
dm

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.